Options

IT Director.

I am fairly young, 25. I have over 8 years experience in the computer industry and I am looking to move into the IT Management area. Unfortunantly being a systems administrator for the past 5 years I have been unable to pursue my bachlors due to all the overtime work and flying. I was curious if applying for a IT Director position (all my experience has been IT administration or project management) would be asking for too much.

I really want to get more into leading cohesive teams towards a common goal on a bigger scale. I have only lead teams of 3 or 4 people in the past and have done more contracting than I can count.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    It all depends on where your working at. Currently at my company, all the directors have a MBA. At smaller companies I have seen them have less. At startups I've seen whoever could do the job.
    The only think they can say is no.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's definitely not out of the question, a lot of people work their way up through the ranks by way of experience rather than through a degree. The trick is that a degree will help you, but it's not impossible to do without it.

If I were you, I'd put my resume out there and see what happens. Apply for management-level and senior-level positions, see what comes of it. If nothing else, you'll get feedback from the potential employers on your level of experience and if the lack of a degree is hurting you. The worst that'll happen, as empc4000xl mentioned, is that they'll turn you down. You may also want to find out if your current employer, (or another employer,) would be willing to help you obtain a bachelor's degree, in which case you would have some help with financing the endeavor as well as some flexibility to study while you're still working.

Look into online universities, if you're thinking about doing the school-thing. Capella, for example, comes highly recommended by several TechExams.net members. Look into your local community colleges as well, you might be able to enroll in evening and weekend classes for the time being, and work out some financial aid and/or a deal with your employer as you prepare to transfer to a four-year institution. Whichever route you take, I wish you the best of luck. Who knows, maybe you'll get a job as IT director and get the chance to go back to school. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    while its not impossible to become an IT Director without any college degrees, the odds are a more against you. but like someone mentioned, put ya resume out there. whats the worst that can happen...you dont get it?
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    You got a job as a System Administrator at the age of 20? icon_eek.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Yup. Lucked out. I worked for a Internet Service Provider at age 16 at helpdesk, they just moved their IT support infastructure from being outsourced from Oregon to Alaska (in house)and I moved up to Systems Analyst by 18. When I hit 19 I was a systems administrator. I have been one ever since. I was very lucky to be at the right place at the right time and get a lot of exposure!

I actually managed to get the system admin position by social ties. I played Quake I a lot when I was a kid and hosted several gaming servers co-located at our ISP. The engineering guys found out I hosted the linux server and then found out I worked for the company as a systems analyst. They saw potential in me and they helped me progress to where I am today.

Technical abilities only get you so far. I was lucky enough to learn that at an early age.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Online schooling would be about the only way to get my degree at this point. I have been flying from Alaska to D.C every 2 weeks for 2 months now and it is just going to get worse. I will be flying to D.C 3 more times, Texas next, California, and then a bunch of rural areas here in Alaska.

The good thing. I have hit MVP status in under 2 months. icon_lol.gif Trying to hit Gold member before the end of the year!
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Speaking from a managerial perspective, you would have numerous obstacles. Your age might be a big negative against you (especially if you look young). Not having at least a bachelor's degree might be a big negative as well.

However, as you have already stated and as we all know is true... sometimes it is more about who you know than what you know. There are 15 year old prodigies in medical school (Just like Doogie!), so a 25 year old IT director is not unfathomable.

Reach for the stars grasshopper! :D
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I think it would definitely be difficult to grab a position but not impossible, the problem is with any one i'd say under 30 it can be tougher to get the respect needed is what I've noticed. My company does a new hire program for college students to be hired in within 2 years after graduation. They really look for you to prove yourself before they even give you a lot of work, I've had a kinda boring year aside from the traveling for IPT deployments, but when in the office I haven't had much until recently and it's been 9 months since I was hired so I think it all takes time. If you're looking for an online program I'd look around I know alot of state schools have fully online programs so it may not be out of the question for you! Best of luck with the job hunt!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The youth and the lack of degree would make it difficult as others have said. The youth will resolve itself on its own eventually. I would go ahead with the degree really. Aim for more of a business or managerial degree like MIS or business. By the time you're 30, I would think you'd be in good shape. In the meanwhile, look for lead/sr. engineer or admin positions. Maybe get some training/experience in project management too. You are on your way to having the total package at a young age I think.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TechJunky, maybe you could drop a PM to garv221. I think he was in a similar situation of having been young and had several years in IT, then got a job as an IT Director where he currently works. He may have some pointers or advice, or at least share his story of how it all worked out for him.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Thanks again for all the advice!

This is a great community.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I always say...apply, apply, apply. You can do anything, but you won't know until you try.

When I left my first Systems Administrator's job when working for a City, my director was fired, and I was asked if I would come back as the Director of I.T. At the time, I only had the 2 years of Systems Admin experience and a 4 year degree. I was 25 at the time. I declined due to knowing why he was fired, politics behind it, and not wanting to go back, but the offer was on the table in writing. The Director was in his mid 30's and attained his Bachelor's while working as the Director.

It can be done, so apply, and hopefully someone will see a diamond in the rough and give you an opportunity to lead/manage a department. As some others have said, try to get some managerial/business courses in if you can. Being a Director is more involved than say a supervisor or Team Leader. You will most likely have a budget to balance, presentations (why you need more bodies, new project or initiatives, stats, etc.), resource management (personnel, utilities, etc.), and other things that will take you to the Business side of I.T. rather than technical.

Good luck man!!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    jryantech wrote:
    You got a job as a System Administrator at the age of 20? icon_eek.gif

I'm an Admin and 20 as well. I was actually hired at 19. It's rare but not unheard of. All comes down to having the ability to sell yourself.
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why don’t you ask for less money to become an IT director to compensate for not having your degree, is it possible, maybe after few year experience you can ask for more?