Anyone else felt like this?

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
Maybe it's been the years of studying and constant changes, but I've realized that for quite some time I haven't been able to think "properly."

If someone opens conversation with me or asks me about anything other than IT, I just give them a blank stare and lose my concentration. At work I take things step by step, troubleshooting problems and getting things done as quickly as possible. When someone interrupts this process, I lose my train of thought and my mind goes blank.

I have trouble talking to even my roommate now. I've completely lost interest in worldly matters and social affairs. It's like my mind has been completely wiped of *everything* except IT.

Anyone else have a problem like this? icon_confused.gif
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Huh?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since when is that a problem? icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, use-it-or-lose-it. If you stop being involved in social situations or other activities, discussions, etc., that knowledge and those skills will weaken. It sounds like you need to go outside some more ;)
  • jrmeulemansjrmeulemans Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Interesting, I have not run into anything like this yet....my problem is I have too much to study and no time to do it! How old are ya' man? Maybe it's just that nothing but IT interests you?
    dynamik wrote:
    Since when is that a problem? icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, use-it-or-lose-it. If you stop being involved in social situations or other activities, discussions, etc., that knowledge and those skills will weaken. It sounds like you need to go outside some more ;)

Yeah, come to Starbucks and debate Theology/Philosophy with me!
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm in my low 20s, and I use my brain heavily on a daily basis...just not on anything related to things outside IT. I've noticed even my spelling has started to get worse, and I've always been an excellent speller. icon_lol.gif
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You know what they say about all work and no play...

Seriously, life is about so much more than just work. I am very interested in IT and love my job, but I still need to smoke a fat cigar with my buddies and go to the local bar every weekend. I spend my weekends with friends and family and go to social gatherings whenever the situation presents itself.

Life is too short to waste it on a computer.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I've noticed even my spelling has started to get worse, and I've always been an excellent speller.

Are you spending all your time on My Space and trying to pass that off as IT work?

I think that would explain a lot...
    dynamik wrote:
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I've noticed even my spelling has started to get worse, and I've always been an excellent speller.

Are you spending all your time on My Space and trying to pass that off as IT work?

I think that would explain a lot...

icon_lol.gif Maybe you're onto something.
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    KGhaleon

dude all seriousness I do know what you mean, drawing blanks.
    you have to have a regular/and brief outlet that you can call your own
    a video game you love a girl you want .....? with something .

I love IT as well and I am always playing with so many things
    website, programming, cisco, IT books, IT magz play play play
    but I need a regular outlet or else I become dull..and can go blank
    diet and exercise are essential as well

you know I go through that and I agree with the rest of you, you have to get out
    it does make for a dull boy....I am a isolationist myself and well, when I go
    out to a club. I have a bad habit of looking at beautiful breasts what am I saying
    I do that anyways what I mean is I kind of become a social retart
    when I use to be really outgoing studying college and Cisco and Microsoft has made
    me an isolationist by choice.....I do try to get out...

my hobbies are the gym, and the batting cages with my son and okay smallville hhahahhah
    but I do think it is essential to have some hobbies oh yeah
    I do love to go to Bdalton books stores get some Java and read some java etc...books
    thare are out maybe on math and programming and networking...

so but I have had some dull moments myself sounds weird but it is beause you are not feeding the soul..I do think it is importan to pray for other and yourself...you need to have some outlet..

but I do understand what you are saying...

I have been watching the debates and getting pissed so I have to stop wacthing
    I hate politicians and red tape...I think Ross Pero would have been a good president
    he is business savvy and well these others guys just kiss butts(not trying to start
    a thread on politics just explaining and outlet) my disclaimer. ehee hee
    my 2.4 cents
  • fommyfommy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hey KGhaleon, i feel for you a little bit man.

I have been in IT for 10 years, same old crap of the users - trying to better myself and get up the IT ladder chain.

you know how I kept sain all these years!! sports....

i cycle to work, gym at lunch times and surf as often as I can. gets my mind of things and helps me focus.

Im not saying do what I do, but channel your efforts into something else and you might come back more refreshed.

Burn out for young IT professionals is on the increase. I hardly know anyone over 35 in IT. Unless they are developers or testers!!

Good luck mate.

Matt
    MCITP Enterprise Admin then CCNA - as I failed CCNA twice now. boohoo
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    I get that when people talk to me about manufacturing and accounting. I feel stupid because they talk to me as if I'm supposed to know this stuff, like me walking up to a co-worker and talking to them about Active Directory. icon_cry.gif

I'm like... General Ledger what? Trial Balance who? At the same time supporting our manufacturing and accounting ERM applications.
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    I'm like... General Ledger what? Trial Balance who? At the same time supporting our manufacturing and accounting ERM applications.

yeah, I would have to agree with you there, just because we work in IT. Doesn't warrant we know everything about everything...
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    Luckily, I've been able to maintain other interests outside of IT and work in general. However, I do understand what you are talking about. I definitely have a harder time BSing so to speak with people now then I did before.

IT is one of those careers where I'd say you are constantly learning on a daily basis. It's not a case where you "learn computers" then work off only that base of knowledge for the rest of your life. This can be mentally exhausting and you lose the ability (or will) to focus on other aspects of your life.

I often find myself zoning out in social situations with my mind wandering back to problems at work or whatever exam I'm currently studying for. It's a cliche and many have already stated it, but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Without other interests, you're going to have a hard time connecting with people outside the field (family/friends).

Find other things that interest you and make it a point to spend time every day doing it. Others have mentioned going to the gym, getting exercise, etc... Anything not IT related.
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    Luckily, I've been able to maintain other interests outside of IT and work in general. However, I do understand what you are talking about. I definitely have a harder time BSing so to speak with people now then I did before.

IT is one of those careers where I'd say you are constantly learning on a daily basis. It's not a case where you "learn computers" then work off only that base of knowledge for the rest of your life. This can be mentally exhausting and you lose the ability (or will) to focus on other aspects of your life.

I often find myself zoning out in social situations with my mind wandering back to problems at work or whatever exam I'm currently studying for. It's a cliche and many have already stated it, but all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Without other interests, you're going to have a hard time connecting with people outside the field (family/friends).

Find other things that interest you and make it a point to spend time every day doing it. Others have mentioned going to the gym, getting exercise, etc... Anything not IT related.

speaking of going to the gym, I freaking can't lift my arms today. I haven't lifted weights since I was a SR in high school. 8 years go...
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
    speaking of going to the gym, I freaking can't lift my arms today. I haven't lifted weights since I was a SR in high school. 8 years go...

Hahha those were the good ole days, workin' as a stock boy at the grocery store and couldn't life my arms past my waist from the soreness...

welcome back to the gym
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i definitely think you need to branch out in to other interests. if it weren't for movies, working out, cars, and the world events that I find interesting I'd be an extremely dull person. I do find that if I talk to certain people i drift and try to end the conversation hastily. I never did that before I started studying constantly.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Like the others said, I too suggest other hobbies.

I highly recommend sports and reading. Grab a novel and leave it in the car, go to any cafe and read, it will take you off the IT for some time.

If you don't have time for GYM, you can just walk for half an hour before sleep, it makes all the difference.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

UnixGuy wrote:
    If you don't have time for GYM, you can just walk for half an hour before sleep, it makes all the difference.

I think he bikes everywhere because he doesn't have a car, so I don't think additional exercise is a huge concern for him.
    I'm rather fit at the moment and I eat well. I play games, go to the movies, etc like most people.

Most of this week my usual routine is to wake up at 3AM and go to work, coming home at 2PM, playing a game or reading a book, then finally going to bed at 8 or 9PM. Some days I'll go for a bike ride up through venice and santa monica, but usually only once or twice a week.
  • flares2flares2 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I understand where KGhaleon is coming from. The best way I've come to understand it is that IT guys think systematically. Like he said step by step. Break the sequence and the "packets drop."
    For example I used mapquest a few weeks back to head to a buddies house who lives out of town. While following the directions it said go x.x miles then turn left onto whatever street. I got to x.x miles and there was no left turn. The route failed and the packets dropped. I had no clue what to do. Sad.....
    Techexams.net - Job security for one more day.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    Maybe it's been the years of studying and constant changes, but I've realized that for quite some time I haven't been able to think "properly."

If someone opens conversation with me or asks me about anything other than IT, I just give them a blank stare and lose my concentration. At work I take things step by step, troubleshooting problems and getting things done as quickly as possible. When someone interrupts this process, I lose my train of thought and my mind goes blank.

I have trouble talking to even my roommate now. I've completely lost interest in worldly matters and social affairs. It's like my mind has been completely wiped of *everything* except IT.

Anyone else have a problem like this? icon_confused.gif

Its a common problem in IT. Too much time with computers can effect your social skills badly. This includes too much time with games. When not at work try to switch off and spend some time doing something completely different once in a while.