Update on my crappy lasik...

scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
(I posted this on another forum that doesn't censor everything so if something seems out of place it was a censor since I just CPed the post)

3.5 month check-up since I had lasik...

I have not been pleased at all since I had it. I knew from the next day something wasn't right and that they had **** up. For three weeks after all I heard from them was, "You are still healing, give it time and your vision will be great!" I did let it be known that I was pissed then and I knew that it wasn't right, but I went with it.

Well today I went in and when they asked the loaded question, "How are you doing?" I let the **** fly. Spoke my mind and let them know how much it really **** sucked. The tech that saw me before the doctor kept his mouth shut most of the time and they did more tests than they usually do during the check-ups. Then I saw the doctor and repeated my thoughts to him. He did more tests and confirmed what I had been saying all along, that my eyes weren't right. I still have a prescription and an astigmatism in both eyes. Only now they aren't even.

He said he thinks once the astigmatism is gone that I will no longer have double vision, serious lack of clarity or any of the other problems I have been having.

He wants to give it 2-3 more weeks, if it doesn't clear up by then (which I know it won't) I will have to under go lasik again...

Oh **** joy, more being blinder than ****, peeling my eye lids off of my eye balls in the morning, wearing goggles to bed, dryer than hell eyes and everything else that goes along with it.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I feel for you, I've had friends who got Lasik and were fine a few days afterwards, and others that dealt with problematic vision, infections, etc. Keep us posted on your progress. I've been doing loads of research, trying to find a reliable Lasik surgeon, (not just an optometrist with an extra weekend of training,) in order to get the ol' lasering done.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Wow, that sounds horrible. I'm thankful for great vision. Good luck on getting everything sorted out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    It's threads like this one that have kept me from doing it. I think I'll keep my glasses for a while longer.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you at least get free "enhancements surgery"

I just had it done as well and my plan came with free enhancements until the 6mo period. Its been a week and I go back to the doctor today. I was around 20/100 before and I know it has improved, but not 20/20 yet.
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Is this a reputable place that you went to?

I had lasik done back in 2005. One of the best decisions I ever made.
  • msnelgrovemsnelgrove Member Posts: 167
    If I ever get it done I will get PRK. Slightly different process where they don't create a flap. It takes longer to heal but there are less complications than LASIK.
  • cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I agree, you should be able to get enhancements for free, depending on the plan you purchased. My wife had Lasik about 4 years ago and has not had any degredation or needed any enhancements yet. We did purchase the plan that allows for free enhancements for life. I am sorry to hear about your experiences so far, but you should be able to get things remedied.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My girlfriend and 3 of her 'friends' have had surgery and said it was the best thing they have ever done. The eyes are just such an important factor that I wouldn't risk screwing with them.

It sounds like the worse your eyes are the lower the success rate is.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Sorry to hear about your experience, hopefully they can get you straightened out. Have you considered going for a 2nd opinion with another Doc?

msnelgrove wrote:
    If I ever get it done I will get PRK. Slightly different process where they don't create a flap. It takes longer to heal but there are less complications than LASIK.

I had PRK 3 years ago, it was great. Sight went from 20/400 to 20/15. Had an eye exam on monday, 20/20 in one eye, 20/30 in the other. Slightly longer recovery period than lasik (you can't see for about a week, and it feels like you've got pool water in your eyes) but as you say, less complications. Older technology, but it's been refined.

Sorry again, scheist, I pray that they get you squared away so you can enjoy the sight you deserve.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gojericho0 wrote:
    Do you at least get free "enhancements surgery"

For life. And yes, I went to the best one in the area. My mother has been in the health care industry forever and we found him through her contacts.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Mishra wrote:
    The eyes are just such an important factor that I wouldn't risk screwing with them.

Agreed. I think I would rather lose both arms and legs opposed to being blind.

I would give up any other of my four senses instead. I don't think I could live in a world of darkness.
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I want to get lasik bad, but it is expensive and then there is this. I wear night and day contacts and it is the closest to having real vision i know.
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    paintb4707 wrote:
    Mishra wrote:
    The eyes are just such an important factor that I wouldn't risk screwing with them.

Agreed. I think I would rather lose both arms and legs opposed to being blind.

I would give up any other of my four senses instead. I don't think I could live in a world of darkness.

That would be pure hell.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Technowiz wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Is this a reputable place that you went to?

Do you ever have a glare caused by the surgery or do you need reading glasses?? I've heard that the lasik causes this. It's something I wanna get done, but am undecided.

Then a thread like this makes me not wanna do it.
    Working on Linux+
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Only got 1 set of eyeballs. Too risky to try LASIK or any of the other surgery methods for me. I'll just live with glasses.
  • _maurice_maurice Member Posts: 142
    I too had lasik done recently. My eyes are dry all they time, and because of the dryness, my vision gets bad. I use drops 20+ times per day. Anybody else get sever dry eye? Does it get better?
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    Only got 1 set of eyeballs. Too risky to try LASIK or any of the other surgery methods for me. I'll just live with glasses.

++

I spent more than 6K US$ on my teeth, LASIK costs quarter of that "1.5 - 2K by the countries best doctor" <<it is a small country we have less than 5 of them any way:)>>

But I do not think that I will ever go for it . . too much risk . .
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Bummer man, sorry to hear. I'd definitely keep voicing your displeasure. I hope the best for your pupils.

I've been thinking of getting lasik for a few years now since the price has dropped. I guess I haven't researched it much, but the 5-6 people I know says they are, for the most part, happy with the results and would do it again. But it is crazy to think of the risk when doctors are messing with your eyes.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    _maurice wrote:
    I too had lasik done recently. My eyes are dry all they time, and because of the dryness, my vision gets bad. I use drops 20+ times per day. Anybody else get sever dry eye? Does it get better?
    I have a co-worker who had the same symptoms after his LASIK surgery. He had to use drops for a year before his eye moisture returned to normal. It is supposedly caused during the LASIK procedure by the cutting of nerves that are required to trigger the production of tears. The eyes need to regenerate those nerve pathways (or find new ones) and in some people that takes a while.
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    JDMurray wrote:
    _maurice wrote:
    I have a co-worker who had the same symptoms after his LASIK surgery. He had to use drops for a year before his eye moisture returned to normal. It is supposedly caused during the LASIK procedure by the cutting of nerves that are required to trigger the production of tears. The eyes need to regenerate those nerve pathways (or find new ones) and in some people that takes a while.

It is, and I suffer from it as well, though it's not bad except when I first wake up. I had a Doc put "plugs" in my eyes, basically plugging off the drain for my tears. I think the drains are called the pinctums. Took about 5 minutes to do, and it's been great, though one fell out.
    mrhaun03 wrote:
    Technowiz wrote:

Do you ever have a glare caused by the surgery or do you need reading glasses?? I've heard that the lasik causes this. It's something I wanna get done, but am undecided.

Then a thread like this makes me not wanna do it.

I heard the same thing but haven't had any problems with glare or rings around lights. Really the worst part about my lasik was the month or so of dry eyes. Had to use lots of eye drops until my eyes healed. My vision after the surgery was 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other. I haven't been to an eye doc since then and I know my eyes are not as good as they were back then but my vision is still very good and SOOO much better than before. My eyes were so bad that basically if it wasn't a foot from my face I couldn't read it. It's amazing to live that way for so many years and then the morning after the procedure you wake up and can see without glasses!

Just about anything you do in life carries with it some risk. For me it was well worth it.
    How long ago did you have your done techno?
    Technowiz wrote:
    February 2005

How much do you think your vision has deteriorated in the last 3 years?
    Not much. I never have times where I feel like I need glasses. But I do know my eyes are not quite as good as they were after the surgery. After the surgery my vision was extremely good. Now there are times where I can look at a sign at a distance and while I can still read it, it isn't as sharp as it would have been after the surgery. But I haven't been back to the eye docs in a few years so don't really know for sure.