Options

How much should this job pay?

Salary negations are probably my worst portion of the job interview because I sell myself short. I haven’t had an offer yet, but I think this job is a good fit. I just have a feeling they’re posting it as a “desktop support” job to get a Network Admin on the cheap. They keep telling me that they want someone who can “grow in to the position, learn the network, and eventually do all local IT admin.” But again, I’m going to be the only IT guy.

Anyway, if you guys could give me recommendations on what you think the job “should” pay. I know that is subjective, but I’ll probably take any responses and average them out. I've used salary.com and a few other sites. I have a number in my head, I just want to see if I'm being reasonable. Plus this economy is shite, so I might be willing to give in for a little less.

Some things to note, I have a little over 3 years network support in smb networks of less than 10 servers (single domain W2k3) and 100 users, 1.5 years helpdesk, and my certs are listed. 5 years total exp.

I live in Philly. Not the most expensive city to live in, but it’s not that cheap either.

They don’t note in the ad that I will be the only onsite IT guy and they’re using:

20 to 50 Servers onsite (mostly W2k3, one W2k8, a dozen RHEL servers, and a few Solaris Sparc boxes in 2 different NOC rooms)
Hyper V one of the servers.
Lotus Notes
This huge NetApp SAN (I have no idea how big)
Cisco Pix and ASA 5500’s
Asterix for VOIP

Posting
Industry: Wireless Telecommunications
Manages Others: No
Job Type: Information Technology
Experience: At least 3 year(s)
Travel: Negligible
Relocation Covered: No
Posted: 9/19/2008

Description
Job Objective:

Wireless ISP is seeking a Corporate IT Technician that provides end-user support for all corporate employees. The successful candidate must thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment. Must be an organized self-starter, resourceful, works well under heavy pressure, be multi-task oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and works well with a variety of strong personalities.

Major Accountabilities:
1. Responsible for the day-to-day PC, email, printer, network, and corporate server support for all employees.
2. Full domain administration for all domains and shared drives via Active Directory.
3. Manage all corporate cell phones including vendor management and end-user replacement.
4. Consult with manager regarding problems, such as equipment performance and maintenance schedules.
5. Read manuals, periodicals, and technical reports to learn ways to develop programs that meet user requirements.
6. Assist Network Operations staff in monitoring and troubleshooting network performance and resolving communications and network problems
7. Planning and implementing software and hardware upgrades

Requirements

Skills:

Minimum Requirements:

1. Knowledge of Windows XP, Server 2003, and Red Hat software.
2. Working knowledge of PC/Server hardware components.
3. Active Directory experience.
4. Basic Lotus Notes administration experience a plus.
5. Ability to work in a high paced, pressurized organization with rapidly shifting priorities. Must be extremely diplomatic in dealing with internal/external concerns on computer operations and/or difficulties.
6. Must have good people skills.

Experience:
1. 3+ years experience as a PC Technician
2. 3+ years experience with network technology
3. Ability to work independently and be self-motivated
4. Friendly, good attitude, detail oriented
5. Must have strong problem solving and analytical skills
6. Must have excellent written and verbal skills

As a member of our team, you will enjoy a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, 401(k) with company match and more.

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I am not an IT guy per say, so I can't give you an estimate based on what you posted. But, aim high!

In any negotiation you start with something they will probably say no to. Imagine the highest amount that you think would even be possible and then tell them that figure. Then imagine the lowest amount you would be willing to work for and don't accept below that figure.

Did I mentioned that before today's big drop, my 401k was down 31%! Before it's over, I will somehow owe them money. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    Did I mentioned that before today's big drop, my 401k was down 31%! Before it's over, I will somehow owe them money. icon_rolleyes.gif

Jeubus, that ridiculous. You should think about reallocating so that you have a higher percentage of bonds.

http://www.401khelpcenter.com/mpower/feature_091800.html
  • Options
    Nah, I am only 32. Those of us with 20-30 years until retirement just have to clench our teeth and ride it out. It's nasty right now, but in any 20 year period in history, stocks have gone up. My problem is that I watch the news and check my stocks too often. I would be better off ignorant. I guess we can buy low soon. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I guess it did not have a salary range to negotiate?I would say around 50k by around I mean minimum.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you had to support all that on your own, somewhere in the $80k. But from the sound of it, they want a hand on grunt who will take orders from engineer somewhere else. So they are probably looking for someone in the $50k.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Just remember in salary negotiations always let them name a number first because then it will just go up from there. If you name the first number it always goes down from there.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    ScottFernScottFern Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote:
    If you had to support all that on your own, somewhere in the $80k. But from the sound of it, they want a hand on grunt who will take orders from engineer somewhere else. So they are probably looking for someone in the $50k.

What he said. Manange 50 servers by yourself?! I can tell you right now this job is going to require a lot of OT for unforseen problems. And if you are the only guy that makes things a lot harder. Just doing the basics like running cables, or mounting a new server would be difficult by yourself. It's not impossible, but it helps to have 2 guys at least!
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Yea you're the only guy? What happened to their previous "it" department? lol. Since you would be the only person and from what i'm reading you would be doing everything from running cables to implementing new servers. I wouldn't go for less than 55k. I would imagine you would have a lot more OT work and it being salary doesn't make it any easier for that.
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    Seeing as they want a very broad skillset (Windows Desktop, to Windows Server, to Linux servers) and 3+ years experience in networking AND desktop, I would rate this as a 90K job.

However, from your description, I feel that your initial instincts are correct, in that they're looking for cheap labor.
  • Options
    JUAN1984 wrote:
    I guess it did not have a salary range to negotiate?I would say around 50k by around I mean minimum.

To be honest I haven't seen many of the jobs of CareerBulder and Dice have salary info.
  • Options
    loxleynew wrote:
    Yea you're the only guy? What happened to their previous "it" department? lol. Since you would be the only person and from what i'm reading you would be doing everything from running cables to implementing new servers. I wouldn't go for less than 55k. I would imagine you would have a lot more OT work and it being salary doesn't make it any easier for that.

Everything is set up and running smoothly, but you know how that goes. The last IT guy left for another position, but is supposedly good friend with the hiring manager and will be available for questions. He was the only previoud IT guy and he's suppose to be calling me today for the tech interview.

There hasn't been talk of afterhours support, but I was saving that for when the offer came for negotiations. 55k is what I was aiming for as well.
  • Options
    ironlungironlung Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If 55k is your goal go for upper 50s and negotiate.You should be able to negotiate that.
    Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    And be sure to ask for 55k before benefits. I know it might sound like a lot, but in all honesty the job you would be doing takes quite a diverse skillset. They could easily hire 2 guys seperatley and pay them each 35-40k for what you would be doing.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    55k? Hah. You should ask at least 80k.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    65k bare minimum.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    If you can use the tuition reimbursement and its good then I would say $55k/year
    If you do not need the tuition reimbursement or it sucks I'd shoot for $65k/year
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    If you can use the tuition reimbursement and its good then I would say $55k/year
    If you do not need the tuition reimbursement or it sucks I'd shoot for $65k/year

What?? I guess that would be true if they had a 10K tuition reimbursement plan and you expect to use all of it, otherwise those are pretty random statements
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stick with 65K + Benefits the whole nine yard you'll live like a prince :P
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

What?? I guess that would be true if they had a 10K tuition reimbursement plan and you expect to use all of it, otherwise those are pretty random statements
    Minimum Requirements:
    3. Active Directory experience.

Experience:
    1. 3+ years experience as a PC Technician
    2. 3+ years experience with network technology

Honestly those are the only things I feel are reflecting the salary.

I put a $10k/year difference on those because I hear tuition reimbursement is a bit rough for graduate degrees.

I have to say $65k/year+benefits is the most a person should get paid in this position. I know most will disagree but this is the way I feel from the given information.

I mean they aren't even requiring degrees or certifications...
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The job requires only three years experience as a PC tech so I would say some where around 45-50k depending on the area of course.

Also the description states they are looking for an IT Technician for day to day support. Doesn't sound like a 80k job to me.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    They are targeting lesser experienced people because they can't or won't pay what the market may be willing to bear for an experienced person who has managed a similar environment before. 80K, even 65K.... pipe dream. 50K-55K.... probably more realistic.

Look at what else they have to offer besides base salary. If they are going to invest heavily in training for example, that is worth A LOT more than the face value of the course would be. A fast track to a couple new certs, a year or two managing this environment, maybe you'd legitimately be worth some of these bigger numbers... quicker than you would be if "more salary now" were your biggest and most important requirement.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Don't forget to factor in the leap in experience you may gain from working with such a diverse environment, especially if you are the only IT guy there. Sometimes it is worth taking less money just because you gain so much more in experience. That was the good thing about my previous job, it got me a lot of really good solid experience really fast even though the pay was craptastic.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Exactly. It's like a chess game. Always think three moves ahead.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    Don't forget to factor in the leap in experience you may gain from working with such a diverse environment, especially if you are the only IT guy there. Sometimes it is worth taking less money just because you gain so much more in experience. That was the good thing about my previous job, it got me a lot of really good solid experience really fast even though the pay was craptastic.

That's kind of what i was thinking as well. Getting some solid (in a working environment not just at home) Red Hat Linux experiance on my resume is very important to me, but I don't want to just "give it away" so to speak. That's why I think 55k is fair.

I had a tech interview Friday and it went well.

I also found out they are running Asterisk VOIP and Commvault for a tape library.
  • Options
    iburrowsiburrows Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Just remember in salary negotiations always let them name a number first because then it will just go up from there. If you name the first number it always goes down from there.

This is so true.... Once you name a figure there is no way they are going to offer more....
    Wait for their offer and then go for something a few grand higher and they should meet you somewhere inbetween
    "Trying to do today's jobs in IT with the tools we used for yesterdays IT jobs is madness"