ASR Backup

mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
I've gone through the process of using NTbackup to do do an ASR backup, with a backup file and a floppy with the relevant files. Restarted the Server then pressed F2 and let the ASR floppy format the drive and reinstall the OS. I'm now as the prompt screen for the backup file, and as it was 1GB, I couldn't burn to CD so had to use DVD, but it won't detect this.

Now is it good practise, when making the backup file, to store it on a local drive inside the machine rather than a CD/DVD? In the MSpress book it always mentions tape backup but I can't see an option straight after the OS has installed, to use tapes.

I'm on this screen straight after the OS install...

http://www.ntbackup.us/Articles/images/asr15.png

Can you click finish on this to ignore restoring the backup file, boot into windows and then restore your backup from within the OS from the DVD, or does it HAVE to be done whilst on the above screen before you boot to Windows for the first time?

Comments

• mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    Ignore this. I managed to get my DVD to detect 2nd time around (for some weird reason) but then figured out you can't point directly to the DVD, and found some MS material stating that DVDs can't be used to restore from somewhere. I tried to copy and paste the .bkf to my C drive and it worked a treat. I can now point to c:\backup.bkf and it restores fine.