Options

BSR/RP help..

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys. 2 Questions:

1) BSR is one thing that's kind of got me scratching my head. I've head cisco documentation, other sites, the books..the concept isn't clicking. What is the actual use of a BSR in a multicast environment? I understand BSR is an IETF standard, so is the benefit really that it is just an open standard versus AutoRP's cisco proprietary or what??

I guess I just need someone to say "this is why you'd need a BSR", because so far, I'm not seeing many scenario's where I'd need a BSR when I could just use AutoRP.

2) On the BSR subject..I wanted to see it in action, so I got dynamips open, configured all interfaces to be in sparse mode, and used the ip pim bsr-candidate command, with a priority of 100. I do see the BSR with the "show ip pim bsr" command..however when I do a show ip mroute (on routers other than the BSR), I see my <*, 239.1.1.1) RP 0.0.0.0, RPF nbr 0.0.0.0...with the Dense mode flag up..how is this when the interfaces are in sparse-only mode? The BSR is configured so I thought that'd put them in Sparse.

I appreciate the help..this is the last thing that's really jacked me up on multicasting. Once I get my head around this, I'm feeling pretty good.

Comments

• Options
    Think I kind of found it....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/11_3/feature/guide/pimv2.html#wp5891

Guidelines for When to Configure a BSR

If there are only Cisco routers in your network (no routers from other vendors), there is no need to configure a BSR. Configure Auto-RP in the mixed PIM Version 1/Version 2 environment.

On the other hand, if you have non-Cisco, PIM Version 2 routers that need to interoperate with Cisco routers running PIM Version 1, both Auto-RP and a BSR are required. We recommend that a Cisco PIM Version 2 router be both the Auto-RP mapping agent and the BSR.

I guess I kind of had the right idea, just wasn't positive. The question now is..I know the routers are in dense mode since I have no RP configured..but shouldn't they operate in sparse if I have a BSR configured??
  • Options
    Found my second question. I feel retarded for posting, but maybe in hopes someone else will learn from my mistake, here goes..

My BSR/RP config was as follows:

ip pim bsr-candidate s2/1 32 100
    ip pim send-rp-discovery s2/1 scope 5

I didn't realize instead I needed:

ip pim bsr-candidate s2/1 32 100
    ip pim rp-candidate s2/1 group-list 5

As soon as fixing that, the interfaces are all operating in Sparse mode correctly, and things are back to normal. Live and learn. Multicast killed me on my last attempt.