Options

Were can I find desktop support jobs?

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Okay, I tried dice.com and there was no luck, are there any other places that I major in IT stuff? I just need a part time job. Thanks guys.
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Get on the phone and start calling companies directly and see what you can scare up. You can also check craigslist for your area and there is careerbuilder and monster and any local job boards as well. Your best bet though would be to get on the phone.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since I am in the market for a new job myself, my search list consists of the following - many are repeats but I'll post them all anyways.

monster.com
    careerbuilder.com
    dice.com
    hotjobs.com (Yahoo's)
    mangofizz.com (not very many results in my area, but worth a shot)

These are the ones that I use that are not regional. In addition I also use the State of Wisconsin JobNet system. Perhaps your state has a similar resource.

The trick is to not use just the IT related job searchs, many HR departments probably only know about the common ones (say monster.com and careerbuilder.com).

I search all of these on my list on a daily basis, usually twice per day - once in the morning and once in the evening. Another tactic I use it I just look at the Jobs/Careers/Employment section of various organizations websites. I have found many jobs posted on company websites that I had not found at any of my other search sources. I started by just thinking of some of the companies I knew of that were larger, then that turned into just making a mental note of a companies name if I saw an office while driving around and checking their website out later.

You just have to be patient and use as many resources as you can. Since you are looking for part time work, you could possibly look for a temp agency specializing in IT. There are several in my area that often times have short term part time positions available.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Don't underestimate the power of Craigslist. Try posting up an ad in the "Resumes" section. Put your resume up, a description of the kind of job you're looking for, as well as a descriptive title, and make sure you are explicit that you're looking for part-time IT work. I've been doing the same thing, and I've gotten plenty of hits on my resume so far.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    look @ colleges, hospitals, company websites...in the search engines on the websites, just type in desktop support.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    iburrowsiburrows Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    "Trying to do today's jobs in IT with the tools we used for yesterdays IT jobs is madness"
  • Options
    pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    Ive posted so many times in craigslist its ridiculous I have my resume in two cities and my small pc service business listed in services my recent post got 11 views in one day and ive been posting like all the time and only received one email about sodering a laptop power input .... had to decline b/c i need $$ to get a pc tech kit ): I need to post my flyers is what I need to do ):

I just hope all these people on craigs list who have these lame ads are getting people instead of me -_- Stupid A+ why must you cost so much I can pass you with my eyes closed. Its like people think A+ is the best cert ever, and know one has heard of my MCP -_-. I think im just gonna say Im MCP, A+, Net+ but then Id be lieing but I know the material but I need money to take the tests ):

Links

My site: http://www.joshplumb.page.tl
    CraigsList: http://saginaw.craigslist.org/cps/884819780.html
    http://flint.craigslist.org/cps/884311240.html

Resume CL: http://flint.craigslist.org/res/884826514.html
    http://saginaw.craigslist.org/res/884822359.html

Both Resume posts have over 10 views Im just wondering if even half of those are employers why they arent contacting me ): Job exp? I need a job so I can get some! ):
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • Options
    rubberToerubberToe Inactive Imported Users Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    Ive posted so many times in craigslist its ridiculous I have my resume in two cities and my small pc service business listed in services my recent post got 11 views in one day and ive been posting like all the time and only received one email about sodering a laptop power input .... had to decline b/c i need $$ to get a pc tech kit ): I need to post my flyers is what I need to do ):

Don't get discouraged, we have all been there. What you need to do is turn your frustration into action and be proactive. I wasn't getting replies so I revamped my resume many times changing layout and the way I arranged the content etc. You want to get employers to focus on your skills and not lack of real world experience.

Key is having a great cover letter. You may be lacking in the cover letter which is how to respond via email in the body. What they read should be in the form of a cover letter otherwise they may not even open the attachment of your resume.

A lot of times posters on CL are completely anonymous. Occasionally they put identifying information in the post such as the reply to email may be to their real company email. What I do is get the company info and format the email as a proper business letter with the my info top left, then the date, then the company info. Usually, I'll begin with "To whom it may concern," unless there was a person mentioned I would address to them.

This will definitely get attention because most people respond informally, and especially if you can show that you have some knowledge of the company other than what was provided.

Good luck.
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    I am in the same boat as you.

I find that Desktop Support jobs are difficult to get.

Desktop support jobs fall into two types:

In-house: Most of the large companies like banks have their own desktop support. So you might want to try with large companies.

Outsourced: I find that most companies don't need IT support 24 and they usually hire an outsourced company to do this. This applies to small to medium size company. You may have to apply to the outsource company.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    I had a couple of little secrets that helped me:

1st: I went to all the state and city agencies and looked for jobs. You would be surprised at how many of these aren't advertised.

2nd: I went to the websites for all the Universities and Community Colleges in my area. Again, you would be surprised at what you would find.

3rd: I went to teh websites for all the public school districts in my area (these are like IT intro job goldmines -- you'll find so many unadvertised jobs here).

Finally, I signed up with all the major recruitment agencies in my area. I found the recruiters to generally be full of crap and a waiste of time. I received way better offers from companies directly.

And of course, I did the whole Dice, Careerbuilder, and Monster thing..

Last but not least, I never got this far, but go on a website and look for a listing of all the businesses in your area or use a phone book. Then, start looking for their websites one by one. You will find many unadvertised IT positions that way.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day