Options

Never take job security for granted.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
I always had a strong sense of job security in my place of employment. My boss is the type of person to genuinely go out of their way to accommodate you, and always puts up a strong fight for his employees. I work for a real estate firm, largest in our state, in the IT department which supports around 1500 users and 31 offices. Aside from my boss there is one other employee in addition to myself who basically is just a helpdesk tech. While my official title is more of a basic helpdesk/technician role (LAN Support/PC Technician) my boss and I are essentially the only two who handle all aspects of our servers and I take care of our routers, switches and firewalls as well as all of the Linux servers I have deployed since I am the only one familiar with Linux. So you could see why I had a strong sense of job security, despite the recent real estate market - heck, they've been spending money left and right on expensive (and totally not required) web apps that are redundant to apps we already license so we should be fine!

Wrong.

I learned a few weeks ago through my boss just giving me a heads up to rumors that would probably start to fly. He mentioned he was fighting against the executives who were trying to justify letting one of his employees go leaving basically one person to handle the load since my manager is involved in a lot of corporate meetings often and does not have much free time to assist with the hands on IT work. As of October 1st they decided to basically make one full-time position out of two employees. They also refuse to allow us to acknowledge this to anyone else, we are instead supposed to say we were just off such and such day (since our agents we support are contractors in a way, and pay our corporation a fee for tech services, they don't want them to think they are getting less even though they are).

Anyways, I could go on ranting about my job situation, but it doesn't change the fact that regardless of if I get my hours back, or an overdue raise - I will be looking for another job just based on principle of how the situation emerged, how it was enacted, and how they are treating people after. I have a couple of questions, mostly looking for some input on:

1.) My work responsibilities and experience is way off from what my official title has been. Is it likely that I am going to encounter problems getting noticed from my resume with my title, even if I list what my actual duties and responsibilities were?

2.) The IT field in my area is pretty weak at the moment, with most positions that are available being senior level or others which I consider out of my realm of experience and the other positions being entry level type helpdesk jobs. On one hand of things, the economy situation was putting my wife and I basically below paycheck to paycheck level, relying on sidejobs to make ends meet. On the other hand, it's part of my ego that doesn't want to move down in responsibilities/pay and part of me thinks that moving downward would look bad on my resume. I have a part time job I picked up making a few extra bucks and I have enough parts in my stock at home to build a dozen or so P4 class used computers to supplement my income while I search out a job that is at least similar to my current responsibilities or even better a step up. Obviously if worse comes to worst, I'll have to accept whatever I can versus risk losing our home and moving my wife and kid in with grandma and grandpa. I'm kind of on the wait it out for something better to open up instead of taking a step backward, since we'll be able to get by hopefully if I bust my butt on the side - but I get a sense that my wife is just wanting m to take what I can get. Am I being unreasonable/selfish with my way of thinking here?

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, I want to say I'm sorry how things played out, and my thoughts are with you and your family.

Secondly, here's what I would do. I would look for a job of equal or more responsibility..but set a date where you say "no BS, if I don't have something by this time..I will take whatever I can find". Being that you have a family to feed, it is understandable if you take what you can get, even if it's not quite your cup of tea. It doesn't make you any less of a tech. I know firsthand how it is to have a signifigant other wanting you to take "anything". It can be rough, but I'd say for your families well-being, set your ego aside briefly..take what you can find, and in the meanwhile, look for something better.

Just my $.02. As always, it's easier said than done but either way, I hope it works out for you.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    There are no jobs for life anymore and nobody ( nobody ! ) is indespensible however much of a key person they may seem to be.

It is important to keep these two points in mind.
    Kam.
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    So instead of firing one of you they're just making you both part time?

Do you know of the other guy might quit? I know I would so he just be as well, you may be able to stick around and get your full time hours back.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A lot sounds like speculation thus far, sometimes upper management has a way of changing with the wind regarding their decision making. Rather than wait for them to make up their minds and dust off the guillotine, why don't you blast through as many certifications as you can? If you're managing Linux servers all day, you should be able to get through some Linux certifications with some light to moderate study. Then when the dust settles and you're given the axe, then study for more certs while collecting unemployment and step up to a better job while having a stronger resume due to more certs.

Ever consider relocating to denser populated areas that have higher technology needs? Many studios such as Sony Pictures including their Playstation division are heavy on the Linux system admin and developer side here in LA.

If you're on good terms with your boss and there's no turning back the clock for the downsizing/cut-backs, maybe your boss will be willing to allow a title change without pay adjustment just to help you in case you do end up needing to leave. It all just comes down to paperwork.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mamono wrote:
    A lot sounds like speculation thus far, sometimes upper management has a way of changing with the wind regarding their decision making. Rather than wait for them to make up their minds and dust off the guillotine, why don't you blast through as many certifications as you can? If you're managing Linux servers all day, you should be able to get through some Linux certifications with some light to moderate study. Then when the dust settles and you're given the axe, then study for more certs while collecting unemployment and step up to a better job while having a stronger resume due to more certs.

Ever consider relocating to denser populated areas that have higher technology needs? Many studios such as Sony Pictures including their Playstation division are heavy on the Linux system admin and developer side here in LA.

If you're on good terms with your boss and there's no turning back the clock for the downsizing/cut-backs, maybe your boss will be willing to allow a title change without pay adjustment just to help you in case you do end up needing to leave. It all just comes down to paperwork.

No speculation, they have already acted on their decision. They just elected to reduce the hours of both of the non management IT staff (me and the other guy). I'm not banking on anything yet in terms of my co-worker leaving. I know he has been checking out some places and has his resume in and has had a phone interview so far for a job I have a contact at that put in a good word for him. I would have been up for the job he applied for but it's a program through CDW in which they certify you and then you are mentored for a year and they you are put in the field. The positions require relocation unfortunately, something I have lightly thought about but I'm not comfortable doing because of family being nearby as well as having to deal with selling our home we currently own. If I could get something relatively nearby, I might consider it as long as it was in driving distance of our family but homes like mine in my area (Madison, WI region) have an average time on the market of approximately 14 months.

Should my co-worker decide to take a job elsewhere, my boss has already stated I would get my hours back and he would push for a raise since the company would still be saving money and I would have a higher workload. I'm not banking on anything though.

As Mrock4 stated, I have basically picked out a date where should nothing turns up for a job that is what I would consider a good offer and be either the same responsibilities or more responsibility, then I will take whatever I can get to make ends meet, even if it's a step backwards in pay/title. I had already discussed this with my wife, but she still wasn't too happy with that way of thought. She is more of the type of "well you are getting shafted now, just take what you can get".
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I think your wife is right. My wife say's the same things about me and my job some times.. Doesn't mean I listen to her though.

I don't think you should set a date line in the sand and no matter what happens, your gone by that date. You could end up in a much worse situation. However, what you should do is constantly check every possible avenue for equivelent or higher jobs even if they do not exactly match your skillset. A change is as good as a rest. if the new job is within 45 mins by car then it's not that big a problem. Moving home in the current climate would be a huge problem. If your area is not that huge on IT jobs then you should look in different places. It may just be the source you are looking in is not the one the IT jobs are published in.

I do feel for you and I have been in exactly the same boat. After a merger, they wanted me out and I was left not being allowed to do my job, no new position in the new company and not allowed to advise the new people. basically I came in each day and sat at my desk and did nothing for 3 months. They were hoping I would get hacked off and walk out. I couldn't as I had a brand new baby and I wasn't going anywhere. Eventually a new job turned up that was higher pay and more exposure and was a real turning point in my career. Just got to keep looking and keep your butt on that seat bringing in the money until you get a new job offer.
    Kam.