Want to fix PC's on the side, how to protect myself?

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok so I've been playing around with doing some side work. Like posting an ad on craigslist. I was wondering if any of you guys did anything like this? I'm thinking I need some kind of contract for people to sign to protect myself from them trying to pin anything on me if they do something stupid and find another problem. Any ideas on what to include in any contract or disclaimer?

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    The best contract is going to be one that specifically states what the customer wants you to do and what they're willing to pay for it. Make it tangible and measurable so you can say with no uncertainty that you accomplished that feat and they owe you the money they agreed to.

Aside from that, look for other legal areas you could strengthen, such as payment due dates, liability for damage to property, etc.

Good luck.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Delete please.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah my payment policy will be that you don't get your computer back until I have money in my hand. :D
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    First thing to need to check into is business insurance, a business license, and getting an LLC to protect your personal finances from people who try to sue you in small claims court. There are the people that are never happy regardless of how well you fix their computers and they sue you anyway. If you don't separate your business from your personal credit your side business could ruin you. Also, you will be handling computers containing people's private information (SSN, credit cards, bank accounts, financial records, etc.) and you need to understand the laws you must abide by to protect that information.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Anonymouse wrote:
    Yeah my payment policy will be that you don't get your computer back until I have money in my hand. :D

Can't see a problem with this. That's how garages work and if you don't agree the price and take your car with a spare key, the police will arrest you for theft of your own vehicle..

Think it's wise to consider this as you may be called in to fix a symptom of a much bigger problem. What do you do there ? Fix the symptom or ask for more to fix the underlying cause.
    The other thing is whenever they get another later problem, the last person to "do something" on the PC will immediately be in the firing line as the cause of the new defect". Just opens up a whole minefield of grief which is why I never do this outside of the workplace. Not even for friends or family..
    Kam.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I have to agree with JDMurray. You must know the extent of potential liability. There are nuts out there who will sue you for sneezing around their property icon_evil.gif

Few years ago, I went to see a lawyer whose job was to advise ppl who start a business. She told me make sure in your contract you make it clear you're liable for nothing. She said don't say things like, "to the best of my knowledge", "to the best of efforts", etc, because then the courts will try to find out if "best of knowledge" or "best of efforts" were put in place.

Bottom line, get incorporated, and second in contract tell them no matter what happens, you take no responsibility for damage. That doesn't mean you go around and do low quality work, but to protect yourself against those nuts out there :)
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So what I'm getting from you guys right now is that I should have a business license also to further protect myself?