Options

Don't give up, there [b]ARE[/b] IT jobs out there.

jonathan_hebertjonathan_hebert Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Folks.

I just wanted to let anyone out there know who is having trouble finding an IT job, that the jobs ARE out there. I was unemployed for several months, but keeping up my search at the major job boards (monster.com; careeerbuilder.com; hotjobs.com), as well as local employers direct websites, I was able to find a PERFECT fit for me.

I only hold A+ and Net+, but my new employer was looking for someone with MCSA, AT MINIMUM. Well, they gave me a respectable starting salary, and incentives to get my MCSA, and if I go up to MCSE, even MORE incentives. If, within a year, I get up to MCSE, they are going to raise my salary by $12,000 a year.

So, not only are the jobs out there, but there are respectible and really great employers out there.

I know how disheartening it can be. I was unemployed for about 5 months. So, for all those struggling out there to find work. DON'T GIVE UP. Look everyday, and you'll find the work.

Good luck![/b]

Comments

• Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats mate,

very nice to hear someone finding a great opportunity, and the raise for MCSE is a sweet deal man. I am sure you can do it, for $12,000, heck yeah, you better do it.

Good luck with your new job.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats on the job!

Now get to studying!!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats, just got my MCSA last week, fat chance of my employer paying me more $$$, they could care less, onward to the MCSE and then out of here.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congrats on the new job, it sounds like a really great opportunity for you. My first "real enterprise IT job" was a very similar find with a company willing to help me train, get me up to speed on their systems, and wanted me to grow. Enjoy your MCSE studies. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Those are some encouraging words, good to hear and much appreciated! :D
  • Options
    savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All IT jobs require 5 plus years of experience, otherwise you will not have your inquiry answered. I have been in IT for about 36 years and it has always been this way, and is much worse now.
    Today, it is common to see ads looking for 10 years of experience in software that has only been out for 2 years.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    It's also pretty common for the experience requirements to be ignored if you have the skills necessary. So never let the experience requirements discourage you, that is just their most optimal candidate.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats man, get the MCSE and the $$$!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    congratulations!!!

It always good to hear success stories of people getting jobs that an employer gives an opportunity to. You have to be given an opportunity to work without the experience in order to get the experience. Like others have said, do not let the experience requirement scare you. Companies will give you the opportunity if you are the right fit and best candidate for them. 10 years of Help Desk Experience does not count as 5 years of experience for a Systems/Network Administrator/Engineer.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is awesome!! Can you get that 12k raise upon receiving your MCSA offer in writing?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."