Free Opensource Imaging Solution

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
I have been struggling with RIS across a subnet for a while now. So i started looking for a new solution that was light weight and could be utilized from a laptop machine. I always look to open source solutions first because in the education field there is not a lot of money to go around.

I ran across this:
http://www.fogproject.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=40&Itemid=46

It runs on ubuntu great, but it will only run on a few distros at this time. A few debian based and a few RH based i think.

It's very simple to install and the best part is, you can do single partition, multiple partition or entire drive.

I have only done a single partition XP as of right now and let me say it is FAST. It takes the image compresses it to a little over 2 gigs, (which for me included a base xp install and office 2k3) then you reboot, pxe boot the machine you want it to image and it does the rest, take a little over 2 minutes to image a machine.

Has some great functionality too, like it automatically renames the host which is handy in a domain environment. I suggest you check it out. It's a great product.