Options

Having a hard time studying

DefendingNetworksDefendingNetworks Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Stupid tv and various other things keep me distracted. I can't seem to get myself motivated. Ideas? I thought about going to the 24-hr coffee shop with my laptop (since they have wi-fi also) and study there. Worse cause I could run some labs on mindtechcom.com/

Comments

• Options
    montanablue2montanablue2 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I managed to get my CCNP study time in by just parking my car in a park, sitting in the driver's seat and just reading.
    If I got bored of reading, I would get out of the car and go for a short walk. That way I got my exercise in too.
    If just sitting in the car reading is too intense and gets too boring too fast, park next to a footpath so you can people watch and give your mind a rest every so often but still not get too far away from studying at the same time.
    Worked for me!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get out of the house and go some place with no distractions.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I study best with distractions. I don't watch TV except Battlestar Galactica and Heroes on TiVO HD, luckily I can watch them whenever I want. But where I study best is by going to a busy tea cafe in the heart of what we lovingly call Little Taipei (Rowland Heights) that serves sugar loaded flavored tea served by young Asian girls in shorts.

I can easily read through 100-200 pages per sitting while loading up on caffeine, sugar, and msg from their food. If my brain starts to go numb, I just stare googly eyed at the girls until I feel cognizant again. Wipe away the drool and hit the books again for another 4 hours. :D

Studying at the library doesn't do it for me. I can't get anything done there. The most progress I've made at the library was about 40 pages of studying.

Why do I mention all this? Everyone has their own specific study method. What you'll need to do is determine what works best for you. Sitting in a car next to a park to people watch while reading? Sitting at a noisy tea cafe with girls running around? Your kitchen table with a laptop and your ankle handcuffed to the fridge while your girlfriend leaves with the key to go out to have her nails done? To each their own, hardest part is finding what works best for you.

Best of luck dude! :D
  • Options
    Did you say, Battlestar Galactica?

Scroll down to the video: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20232284_3,00.html

That cracked me up icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Stupid tv and various other things keep me distracted. I can't seem to get myself motivated. Ideas? I thought about going to the 24-hr coffee shop with my laptop (since they have wi-fi also) and study there. Worse cause I could run some labs on mindtechcom.com/

True. I end up getting through a few pages and then start philosophizing to myself about why networks even matter and if we'd all be better off if we just blew up every network and returned to a simpler time. Amish lifestyle anyone?
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    warcraft should help you :D
  • Options
    moss12 wrote:
    warcraft should help you :D

Lol, did that for a while. Its the reason I quit, took to much of my time and $$$
  • Options
    Lol, did that for a while. Its the reason I quit, took to much of my time and $$$

I bet it cost you next to nothing in comparison icon_eek.gif

I'm not sure this couple is much better icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    headphones, i found that putting on headphones and listening to music helps me study. by drowning out the complete randomness of the tv. I also turn to not see the tv as well. this is just some small stuff i did while reading/studying.

during the lab time i do the same thing.. too bad that they won't let anyone do it during the lab icon_rolleyes.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:

I bet it cost you next to nothing in comparison icon_eek.gif

I'm not sure this couple is much better icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

What's with the **** in the middle between the chairs? :)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've found that my study habits vary depending on my mood. I'm a big fan of going out to a coffee shop to sit down and read, (or do homework if it's for a class,) but sometimes I go in for marathon-sessions of CBT Nuggets videos on the desktop computer. Once I have a laptop that works again, I'll probably do more of the computer-based studying out and about, since I find that I feel much more. . . scholastic(?) when I'm out someplace than I do at home. I also find going to some place that has students, like a college campus coffee shop or a park near a university, also helps me get in the studying-mentality.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    Motivation!!

Where do you find it? Well, it's inside! Imagine yourself in that job doing what you love to do and being paid for that. I think that is the ultimate motivator. If you dont have it, I think you should pursue it some place else or keep looking inside until you find it.

Passion for what you do. That is something I dont feel in my career and something Ive always felt about IT. Im 29 and sometimes i feel old to be doing this, but I am not :D. I will get there!
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    AlexMR wrote:
    Motivation!!

Where do you find it? Well, it's inside! Imagine yourself in that job doing what you love to do and being paid for that. I think that is the ultimate motivator. If you dont have it, I think you should pursue it some place else or keep looking inside until you find it.

Passion for what you do. That is something I dont feel in my career and something Ive always felt about IT. Im 29 and sometimes i feel old to be doing this, but I am not :D. I will get there!

29 old? Oh dear god..Please don't say that. I'm 26! gah
  • Options
    Halcyon HellHalcyon Hell Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey people. First post on this page. Finding the right atmosphere for study can be a real pain for me sometimes. I totally know what your going through DefendingNetworks. I have found my own way kinda. Got a room in the house with no TV and a door, a mini study. Plus my PC is there as well which of course is a necessity. The park idea aint a bad one either.
    BOFH (in training)
  • Options
    bashtiebashtie Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    for me the best way is to study in the bed befor i sleep, with my girlfriend next to me also reading some books ...

but for sure if i ve to study something more practical it doesnt work ... or i never tried to take my computer with me to the bed
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    I dont look at how old you are to get into a certain career field but how long do you have until retirement. If you are in your early thirties you still have thirty more years until you retire that is a long time so why not get into IT as an example.

Keeping with the thread I like someplace quiet I get distracted too easily
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    For me the best time to study if first thing in the morning. I wake up between 4 and 5 and get a least a couple of of hour of study in before work. This also allows me to think about what I studied in the morning, all day.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Listen guys studying in the morning is the best way , my father always encourage me to wake up early in the morning to study cause you can store more information and retain them quicker , any scientific proof into this ?
  • Options
    bashtiebashtie Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i just heared, that if you study a short time befor you sleep, your brain kinda works on the learned stuff while sleeping
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The best way to motivate myself to study is to rip me away from whatever I'm doing and just do it. I get pretty stuck sometimes so I have to pull really hard.

Honestly, if you have motivation problems like I do then you need to do something to annoy yourself. Set a schedule task on your computer to launch a "QUIT SURFING AND STUDY" MS Word doc every 15 minutes from Xpm to Xpm, whatever time you want to dedicate to study time.

Tell your g/f-wife you need motivation. Women usually like a good excuse to bug the crap out of you.

Get one of those electrical socket timers to set a taser to go off every hour... OK maybe a little extreme.

Now if you finally have motivated yourself to sit down and pick the book up, how do you stay focused? Well obviously don't sit by anything you use to break your concentration (TV remote, laptop). Or in 2 hours you will notice you have been watching monkeys crap themselves instead of studying. Also, a pretty good motivator for me is to think "Well... This isn't the worst thing. I believe I would choose studying over being an army grunt in Iraq right now... So let's not whine and get unfocused and continue to read at least 2 chapters".

As you notice I fight with myself all the time. It's been an on going thing since I was a child. :-\ I swear I have a disease.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

One of the biggest problems these days is attention span. I blame diet for a lot of this and the constant bombardment of electronic content that surrounds us these days, including music and games.

CoD's and computer based learning have their place but I think you would be well served by simply sitting still for a while with no noise and trying to read a chapter of a book. A lot of people speed read. This is not a good thing if you are learning new things particularly technical things that involve mechanism. You need time to reflect on those things. Reading the whole of Caslow in a weekend really isn't going to help much. So..go somewhere quiet with a book and try and read at a steady pace for 15 minutes without fidgeting. You will be surprised how much you get out of that 15 minutes. The next day increase the duration of the session. After a few days when your attention span wavers towards the end of the session take a short break then return the book. This sort of attention span training will help your concentration. Try this technique for a year and change your entire life. Quiet patient reading works.
  • Options
    IncInc Member Posts: 184
    moss12 wrote:
    Listen guys studying in the morning is the best way , my father always encourage me to wake up early in the morning to study cause you can store more information and retain them quicker , any scientific proof into this ?

If you take information from vedas for scientific proof then yes, there is. I can't quote directly, but I have been listening lectures about vedic lifestyle and one specific lecture was dedicated to studying methodology. Emphasis was on morning as main studying time.

I have applied this in my daily practice and results are improving.

Parallel discussion is here: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39512&start=0
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My ultimate motivation?

Knowing that if and when I apply for another job... there will be someone else who is probably more qualified than I am.

So, whilst preparing for exams, I know that I HAVE to know more than the other guy. In fact, this other guy with the CCIE that I don't have... might not even exist... but bottom line is - I simply must be the best.

Otherwise, I know if I slip my concentration or fail an exam, I know it will make me look bad. Altough, when I pass, I have a load of great people around me who are proud of my achievements and celebrate my ability with a keyboard :D

:)