Replace Network switches from netgear to Cisco 3560

fommyfommy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am swapping out 10 netgear Layer 2 switches with 10 new Cisco 3560 switches, I did not even know I did not even know I was going to get this project.

I have to plan for this, but dont really know where to start!

VLANS, Trunking, down time etc? has anyone ever done this before? I am new to cisco - so only know a few commands yet alone setting up a LAN infrastructure.

Should I set it all up first and test it? or just go for it?

Any advice would be cool, or links to a website which can assist me!!

Thanks, Matt
MCITP Enterprise Admin then CCNA - as I failed CCNA twice now. boohoo

Comments

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dont rush it you fool! :D

No seriously...plan it correctly because you want to get this right first time.

We are going to need more info for what you need when you talk about which commands you need although the cisco site has great documentation on all things cisco.

First of all i would check your current network documentation if you have any. see how many vlans you have etc, which ports are the trunks, ip ranges etc etc, what type of network do you have etc . If you dont have any then you are going to have to learn the layout fast.

Then i would identify any functions you need which arent on the previous switches - Voip support for example.

When you finally configure the switches test the thoroughly and correctly - imo dont go gun ho!

Give us some more info - list of what you need etc - and we'll be able to direct you further.

one tip - dont do anything where you feel out of your depth and your not sure of the consequences of your actions.

EDIT: here are some good links for the 3560 to get you started:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/prod_command_reference_list.html
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How complex is your current configuration? Do you have vlans, etc. in place now?
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Hi Matt...
    Since it's techexams, all (ok almost all) of the information needed is in part II of the CCNA cirriculum for a basic yet reliable setup. You'll probably want to look at the following:

0. Network design -- setting up layers (not OSI layers, but design layers or blocks). Where your servers will be, existing design.
    1. Logging in, setting baseline security (ssh, user accounts, logging).
    2. VLAN's and trunking.
    3. Per-VLAN Rapid Spanning Tree & Redundancy.
    4. Saving & Backing up the config & image.
    5. Testing.
    6. Documentation.

More advanced items can probably be set up later, but I recommend getting these out of the way. Don't fret, these topics are widely known here at TE.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Excellent Advice toad :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?