Options

ISCW... DSL question

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
Other than having DSL at home for my internet connection, I know nothing about ADSL. So, as I read and re-read through the chapters on DSL, somethng caught my attention... hoping you techies can enlighten me.

When configuring the PPPoE client on an ATM interface, the commands include:
!
int ATM0/0
 no ip address
 dsl operating-mode auto
 pvc 8/35
 pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
!

I noticed in the Official Exam Cert Guide that whenever the author shows a config example, the pvc is always 8/35 (if you have the book, notice all three examples on pages 134 and 135).

Then, suddenly, on page 139, the AAL5MUX config does something different, and uses "pvc dsl 0/35".

So, is the pvc allocation arbitrary? Is it set by the ISP? Is it safe to assume that there's 36 of them, from 0 through 35? and that 8/35 is the popular one?

Preciate any thoughts,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    That almost looks like a typo in the book to me.. aa5lmux is an encapsulation type that the ISP decides to use on the ATM/DSLAM cards for PPPoE. The ISP tells you to use this unless you use PPPoA (i think, I'm no ATM expert")
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    VCI/VPI in ATM is kind of like the DLCI in Frame-Relay.

The VPI is a link in an ATM network and the VCI is the slot on that link. Kind of like a T1 and an individual ds0. This information should be given by the ISP.

I'm not an ATM expert either, so I can't give you much info on the subject beyond that except for the fact there are more than 36 possible VCI/VPI pairs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.