VISTA! network profiles?

neverdyeneverdye Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
This may be an odd question, but I thought some Microsoft guys may have some answers for me.

Is there a way to set my VISTA laptop to switch between static and DHCP depending on what network I am connecting to?

Example: I want to assign statics to my machines at home due to router continuously locking up. (wireless). But i want to be able to take my laptop to work, plug it in, and go to town. The only way I know of, would be to set up the properties on the wireless NIC to static, but I would like another route (ie, for when I go to starbucks, hotels, etc)

Thanks for the info!
Next on the list : Security+
CCNA

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you go into your TCP/IP properties and set it to obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP), you will see an "Alternate Configuration" tab appear, and you can enter static IP information that will be used when DHCP isn't available. You'd just have to disable DHCP on your home router.
  • cnfuzzdcnfuzzd Member Posts: 208
    I think what you might be looking for is the alternative configuration option. If you right click on the tcp/ipv4 properties of your nic, there should be this tab. It basically works like apipa, but you get to specify what the address is. This will only work if there is no dhcp server on your network at home.

John

THWARTED!!!!

CURSE YOU!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Work In Progress: BSCI, Sharepoint