Options

Need some advice.

SacmoSacmo Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Do u think I can get a job with 30% disability rating ?

I found out yesterday I maybe getting discharged due to medical condition with my shoulder joints, MY doc said ill prob get 30% seeing as both my should joints are not the best and my arms dislocate a lot.

With a 10 point VA preferance, and my security clerance, think I will have a hard time getting a job with entry level with IT in the military.

I am currentley studying A+

And have the books for Network+ Security+ and server+

Any Advice ?

Comments

• Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Do you have any experience? If not, you may struggle. No experience and no certs is a tough road unless you know someone.
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    Sacmo wrote:

I found out yesterday I maybe getting discharged due to medical condition with my shoulder joints, MY doc said ill prob get 30% seeing as both my should joints are not the best and my arms dislocate a lot.

With a 10 point VA preferance, and my security clerance, think I will have a hard time getting a job with entry level with IT in the military.

Any Advice ?

I'm confused, what does having a disability rating have to do with getting a job? Or am I not understanding something here.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    Sacmo wrote:

Any Advice ?

I'm confused, what does having a disability rating have to do with getting a job? Or am I not understanding something here.

If u are discharged with a disability in the military u are given a a point status, 10 point status means u have priority over civilians for that job since I am a verteran, its just the way the VA and goverment jobs do things, we are favored over the normal civilian for serving our country.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I cannot tell you if you will get 30% or more disablility for your injury because I am not a doctor. I have seen some with a bad back and only given 10% and then some with a messed up finger, although still attached, 30%. It all depends on the doctor and medical review.

With 10-point veteran's preference, you have a better chance of getting picked up for a civil service job than others, but you still need some type of background. There are some people I work with that came in with little I.T. knowledge, but was trained when they got here on their specific tasks. Most were 10 point pref candidates. Many of them are running because of the DOD Certification requirements. They are having a hard time passing both the IA and Technical certifications required for their positions. So have also moved out of I.T. and moved into other positions outside of the 2210 series.

But anyway, to answer your question...yes, you will have a good chance of being picked up by a Federal Agency due to your 10 point pref and security clearance. You have an even better shot if you are willing to move and apply to the thousands of postings all over the nation and not just focus on the I.T. (2210 series) postings, but them all. Once you get in and past probation period, you can move around VERY easily. You will at least get 5 point pref if you get an honorable discharge. There are also postings out on USAJOBS tageting veterans specifically called VRA (Veteran Recruitment Act or something like that) appointments.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    famosbrown wrote:
    I cannot tell you if you will get 30% or more disablility for your injury because I am not a doctor. I have seen some with a bad back and only given 10% and then some with a messed up finger, although still attached, 30%. It all depends on the doctor and medical review.

With 10-point veteran's preference, you have a better chance of getting picked up for a civil service job than others, but you still need some type of background. There are some people I work with that came in with little I.T. knowledge, but was trained when they got here on their specific tasks. Most were 10 point pref candidates. Many of them are running because of the DOD Certification requirements. They are having a hard time passing both the IA and Technical certifications required for their positions. So have also moved out of I.T. and moved into other positions outside of the 2210 series.

But anyway, to answer your question...yes, you will have a good chance of being picked up by a Federal Agency due to your 10 point pref and security clearance. You have an even better shot if you are willing to move and apply to the thousands of postings all over the nation and not just focus on the I.T. (2210 series) postings, but them all. Once you get in and past probation period, you can move around VERY easily. You will at least get 5 point pref if you get an honorable discharge. There are also postings out on USAJOBS tageting veterans specifically called VRA (Veteran Recruitment Act or something like that) appointments.

Awesome, Yeah I took my D-Tap class today, My doctor did tell me the way he will right it up will prob get me 30% he said, but then again its all up to the people in DC.

But non the less, I am studying my security+ and A+ right now, And would like to have them both by the time I am discharged. I figure this will help once I get out in getting a job.

VRA- yeah they did mention this, and the probationary period. I have bad shoulders but it would not limit me from excelling to my best if i was given a chance at this job.

The way I Look at it is that I want to work now and I have the comfort of working now knowing that i wont be deployed and going out to sea anymore, It is so nice knowing I wont be standing anymore 24 hour duty days were I stand 2 8 hour watches.

What would you say a hot spot is in the US with tech jobs right now?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Good luck man. I have my 5 point status and an A.S. degree. I've been trying to get a federal IT job for 5 yrs. Haven't even gotten a phone call.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    Good luck man!!

I will say that many Federal government agencies are pushing heavy on their Balance Scorecards and education is one of their metrics. They are looking for 4 year degrees and above. within the DOD, they are looking for certifications as well. Different certification requirements for different levels.

I'm 5 point vet, with degree, and only got in because I once worked as a contracotr here for a short time a while back (not that long...only been out of college for 3 years) and the Director remembered me. I also had a lot more on the resume after a couple of years of applying like crazy. I'm also part of a college graduate recruitment Leadership/Management Development program.
  • Options
    Well see, I talked to the IT guys here in portsmouth and over at NOB and 7 out of 11 people i talked to only had 2 certifications, Security + and A+.

None with degrees, and none of them prior military.

Dang, 3 of them had no college or certifications, and were working help desk job.
  • Options
    sbrightwsbrightw Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The degree for your area will get you a higher paying job. However you can get a good job just on references and you have a clearance. With a 30% you have priority for a gov job, but it doesn't always get you selected. Good luck on your job hunting.
  • Options
    Sacmo wrote:
    Well see, I talked to the IT guys here in portsmouth and over at NOB and 7 out of 11 people i talked to only had 2 certifications, Security + and A+.

None with degrees, and none of them prior military.

Dang, 3 of them had no college or certifications, and were working help desk job.

Again...it depends on the Government Agency and their organizational goals. Many Federal Agencies are pushing Balance Scorecards and pushing the ideo of becoming a high performing professional organization. Most of the metrics for personnel are 4 year degrees and higher and certifications for the 2210 series.

I work with many that are already in without degrees and finally getting the minimal certifications required, but they aren't moving up and may move down as the time progress. Requirements are changing and if not met, they will have to find somewhere else to work within the Federal Government. Not fired maybe, but re-assigned.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    The disability system at least in the Army is such a hotbed for scams. For every legitimate disabled person there are 30 people who found a liberal doctor to help them get a check for life. It makes me sick thinking about the fraud involved. I have actually listened to people discuss the best ways to "get paid" when they get out.

To the OP, a veterans preference may help, but it is not a transparent process. You do not know who you are up against and if the rules are being followed. Many federal positions are advertised because they have to be, but the outcome has been decided. This "pre-selection" is technically illegal for an open federal job, but it happens.

This disability rant was not directed to the OP, obviously I do not know him.