Options

Which module I select for electives?

kasun_skasun_s Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm new to this forum.So help me.I finished 70-270,70-290,70-291 exams.Now I have to select one elective for complete MCSA on 2003 server.I haven't any idea about electives .I visit Microsoft site and saw lot of electives.

please any one can help me to which module I should select ?.what module is best or which is important to do ? Exchange or SQL, ISA or any other.I find vacancy as a Network administrator.
what should i do?Please help me.Urgent.
thanks in advance.
kk

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Best advice will be to look at jobs that you want to apply for and see what they are asking for.

However it is common for people to take 70-284, Exchange 2003, though again, I would double check with job sites.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    gorebrush wrote:
    Best advice will be to look at jobs that you want to apply for and see what they are asking for.

However it is common for people to take 70-284, Exchange 2003, though again, I would double check with job sites.

Hope this helps.

Good advice. I also think something like an Exchange or SQL exam would be a good option.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    gorebrush wrote:

Hope this helps.
    A very good suggestion, indeed. I chose to do Security+ as my elective, and I don't regret it. I did, however, find out that most employers assume that all Windows administrators know Exchange, so doing 70-284 isn't a bad choice at all. Check the job-sites in your area, see what they list as "additional skills" or "nice-to-have" type of skills. If you see a lot of SQL Server work, go for that, if you see a lot of Exchange work, go for that. And don't forget, if you see Exchange 2003, then 70-284 is appropriate, but you can go for 70-236 if you're finding that employers are pushing for Exchange 2007. Study the technologies that best suit your interests and that are in demand.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Thanks for all replys.And also I want to know what is the best option 70-284 or 70-236?
    kk
  • Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    I'd go for Exchange, it was a pretty fun course actually. Learned a few neat things such as public folders, how to publish bulletins in Exchange, accessing outlook via web browser.

SQL isn't bad too, I'm thinking of being certified in it along with MCSE to ensure job security.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Depends on your local demand.

Exchange 2003 is more widespread, but there are a lot of differences between 2003 and 2007.

If you haven't touched 2007 before, having a 70-284 you will need to learn a lot of the differences between the two and there are quite a few.

Personally, I would probably go 70-284 first, then do the 70-236 if you need to afterwards. (I did 70-284 back in October 2005, and funnily enough I'm doing 70-236 next week)
  • Options
    Thanks for everyone.I decide to do 70-284
    kk