Well.....can a CCVP be done by the June deadline?

I have one test down - the CVoice. I would have to pass the remaining four by late-June to keep from having to take the CCNA-Voice, though I just passed the CCNA last year. So, since I'm pursuing Voice, I feel like June is the midnight hour, and at the stroke of twelve my CCNA becomes worthless (if I'm not a CCVP by then).

Passing by June for me would mean taking and passing a test every two months. I'm not sure that's enough time for each one, with having a FT job (and wife and kids). I would have to disappear the whole time and do nothing but study. It would be like a six-month Navy deployment as far as my family goes. Should I just resign myself to having to take five more tests and not try to kill myself, or try to beat the clock and hope I make it under the wire?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've seen estimates stating that about 500 hours is required for the VP. I'm not sure if the tests are uniformly difficult or if some are worse than others. However, you could probably use 100 hours per exam as a baseline and try to lay out your schedule with that.

Why are you so anti-CCNA: voice anyway? I know it's an extra exam to take, but you could probably pass it blindfolded after the VP exams. What's the point of killing yourself and neglecting your family to avoid it? I'd rather spend another $250 or whatever and not make myself miserable for six months.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I feel like June is the midnight hour, and at the stroke of twelve my CCNA becomes worthless (if I'm not a CCVP by then).

What do you mean by this you passed your NA last summer if i remember correctly and not to long ago passed cvoice...so your NA was renewed by passing cvoice....I'm not sure what you meant by that icon_scratch.gif

Either way it looks like none of the exams are expiring so I'd start going for it if you don't make it there on time you'll have to add an exam. Don't put a certification over your family it's only a piece of paper...you have a job now that you probably won't be leaving soon so enjoy the experience, study when you have time, but most importantly spend time with your kids....they grow up fast and you'll regret not being there I don't know how old they are but I still can't believe my son turns 2 on sunday.
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have one test down - the CVoice. I would have to pass the remaining four by late-June to keep from having to take the CCNA-Voice, though I just passed the CCNA last year. So, since I'm pursuing Voice, I feel like June is the midnight hour, and at the stroke of twelve my CCNA becomes worthless (if I'm not a CCVP by then).

Passing by June for me would mean taking and passing a test every two months. I'm not sure that's enough time for each one, with having a FT job (and wife and kids). I would have to disappear the whole time and do nothing but study. It would be like a six-month Navy deployment as far as my family goes. Should I just resign myself to having to take five more tests and not try to kill myself, or try to beat the clock and hope I make it under the wire?

Can relate to the priorities and lack of everyday available time to study intensely there. I would say go for it, it you don't make the exam deadline you learn a good deal along the way and surely go some way towards completing the track. Just make sure to be realistic with the study program when you have those fulltime commitments at work and family to look after. Works for me.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    shednik wrote:
    I feel like June is the midnight hour, and at the stroke of twelve my CCNA becomes worthless (if I'm not a CCVP by then).

What do you mean by this you passed your NA last summer if i remember correctly and not to long ago passed cvoice...so your NA was renewed by passing cvoice....I'm not sure what you meant by that icon_scratch.gif

Whoops. I must have skimmed over that part. I thought we already settled that: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=268439#268439
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CCNA is a prerequisite for the CCNA:Voice, so even if you miss that June 24 2009 date to complete your CCVP and use the plain ordinary common CCNA as the CCVP prerequsite, rather than the modern sexy CCNA:Voice, you'd still need the valid plain ordinary common valid CCNA.

Pick a CCVP Track and pick and exam (or do QoS if you want to pick your CCVP track later) and start studying. If you can't find or make the time to study (and pass) an exam in about two months (or less), then its a mute point anyways.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    dynamik wrote:
    shednik wrote:

Whoops. I must have skimmed over that part. I thought we already settled that: http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=268439#268439

Yea thats correct any 642 level exam and the CCNA specializations will re-certify your CCNA...sorry dynamik that i don't see every post on TE where are my priorities :D

EDIT: I thought about it more and before I get asked what my source for the CCNA Specializations re-certifying the plain CCNA I figured I'd post my source:

https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/thread/1554
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    shednik wrote:

Either way it looks like none of the exams are expiring so I'd start going for it if you don't make it there on time you'll have to add an exam. Don't put a certification over your family it's only a piece of paper...you have a job now that you probably won't be leaving soon so enjoy the experience, study when you have time, but most importantly spend time with your kids....they grow up fast and you'll regret not being there I don't know how old they are but I still can't believe my son turns 2 on sunday.

Incisive advice. They grow up fast indeed. I do not want to miss that.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    mate,

I'm hoping to get mine before then as well! Just book your next exam now! It will motivate you to study.

I really don't want to do ccna voice, too much express stuff in it.