Options

Is it "worth" it to upgrade a MCSA to a MCSE (2003

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but is it worth it (both in tangible and intangible determinations)?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yes. The MCSA doesn't get a lot of recognition. The MCSE was release a number of years before the MCSA, some people do not understand were it fits or just assume that everyone should have the MCSE.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my opinion it is worth it. Even though there is no MCSE in Server 2008 it is still worth it to get the MCSE 2003. Server 2003 is still used more than 2008 right now and it will be around for a few more years. MCSE 2003 is still in demand with employers looking for Windows Admins. Just do a search on dice, careerbuilder, or monster and you will see that. Also, if you get your MCSE and take 70-620 as part of the MCSE then you only have to take 2 exams to get the MCITP:EA in Windows Server 2008 which is the MCSE 2003 equivalent.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    wiseguywiseguy Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It seems like most employers won't even look at you unless you have a MCSE nowadays. It's almost like going the extra mile to getting a Bachelor's degree as opposed to just having an Associates degree.
  • Options
    srcurriesrcurrie Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it is worth it for all of the reasons given above. I have been working on mine for two years (I spent 1 year just learning SQL Server 2005) and I know I FEEL it is worth it after the work I put into it!!
    If your employer knows the difficulty/work involved it is also a measure of commitment. It shows that you are able to work towards a long term goal and SUCCEED. What employer wouldn't want a winner like that?
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    1) The MCSE has better branding
    2) There are more job offers requiring MCSE
    3) The material on the MCSE is essential for your career
    4) The MCSE is upgradable to the 2008 Enterprise Administrator, also essential to your career
    5) MCSEs just turn women on, not sure why. Just works that way.

So why wouldn't you?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nevolved wrote:
    I'm sure this has been asked many times, but is it worth it (both in tangible and intangible determinations)?

Thanks,

Go with Andy's advice (ajs1976). When the MCSA came out I had already departed from MS concerns into more networking focussed work but I was an MCSE in NT 4.0. I hoped that the MCSA would focus more on the mundane but essential tasks and tools for administrator duties like login scripts, printing and accounts as these received only marginal coverage in the MCSE and are essential to running a Microsoft network (or any network for that matter). Back then knowing ARC paths and the gore of profiles and RAID was the norm for the MCSE but for day to day duties the track left a lot to be desired by busy administrators. But I think in the end the MCSA just filled a natural gap between MCP and MCSE with an intermediate cert as opposed to delivering an especially useful administrator cert like the CNA.

So thats a situation where MS produced a cert that was less than the MCSE requirement. What about a situation requiring more than MCSE..

By all accounts it was the same with the MCSE+I. A few more exams not really leaving the candidate much more savvy on useful knowledge to leverage NT in an internet context. IEAK? IIS 4.0? Windows DNS wasn't covered very well. Neither was DMZ. I remember discussing this with Carola Helfert who was an MCSE+I and she agreed that she was so disappointed with the extra content of that track. Just more exams. But I digress.

So get the MCSE.