Ever had this happen or even hear of it?

Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
So I noticed my toilet downstairs is slow and takes forever to flush. Tried using a plunger, same effect.

Called this guy I know that does housework. Took the toilet apart from the floor and he noticed a friggin 4 foot long tree branch! How the hell do I have a damn tree growing in my toilet piping?!

I replaced the wax about a year or so ago and just noticed today. It was a fiber type of tree with many strands. Random events of life.

Comments

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Was it a tree root or tree branch? If it was a root then a explanation is pretty easy icon_cool.gif
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Roots seek water. Welcome to the joys of home ownership. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Our main sewer drain was clogged by tree roots that grew through the overflow cap underneath our driveway. We had to cut into our drive way concrete, replace a section of sewer drainage pipe with a Y-section, and a steel access panel. That allowed the plumbers to use a snake rotary tool to clear out our sewer drain of all the tree roots that grew into it.

Roots will grow where there is water. Sewer drain is the perfect place for a constant source of water.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Ah I see. Yeah my mom actually was pretty damn shocked so was I. Never had this happen lol. It was hilarious though
    Not so hilarious when you live in a 2 story house and flush from the upstairs toilet...! Just picture a flooded 1st floor... icon_confused.gif
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    mamono wrote:
    Not so hilarious when you live in a 2 story house and flush from the upstairs toilet...! Just picture a flooded 1st floor... icon_confused.gif

I live in a 2 story house as well, but downstairs is what was clogged. All visible branches are removed now.. hope there isn't any more. Is there any thing I can use to prevent this from happening again?
    The plumbers recommended having the sewer drain cleared with a rotary tool every year. That's about it.