Options

CT brushes off...(OSPF)

cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well everyone, now that I'm settled in my new job I think I'm going to starting nailing this stuff down for good.

Having redesigned anything and everything layer 3 in the network, I'm ready to put the final touches on the BSCI and finally move on to something else. Frankly, I have had the idea of this test in my head so damn long that I still feel burnt out even though I've only looked at it occasionally this last 6 months.

Well anyway, since we're a Cisco shop, EIGRP is not a problem, and I've just designed our dual-ISP topology complete with AS-Path filtering, etc, so BGP is not a major concern. It's been a LONG time since I worked OSPF into the ground so I think that is where I am going to start. I started building the physical layer topology this evening and am about ready to start hitting it hard. Just like BGP, I am sure this stuff will start rushing back to me. I plan to have this sucker knocked out cold in a couple weeks.

Wish me luck everyone.

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You got it bro. I have confidence in you..you're pretty sharp (for an old guy). If you need anything let me know. I've beat the hell out of OSPF. Likewise, I may contact you for some BGP info..

I hear ya on wanting to move on. I've been talking about the BSCI for a long, long time now..I'm ready to open a new book.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Sounds like fun to me, I'll be digging into CCNP-level OSPF before long, here.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Ok. So I've configured OSPF with 5 areas + area 0 and have configured, stubs, total stubs, not-so-stubs, and totally stubby not so stubs, all redistributing external networks with both type 1 and type 2 external metrics to make sure I fully understand how each operates without a hitch. Upon configuration the stuff all came rushing back to me. Piece of cake. I'm gaining momentum and I think I actually understand the LSDB better now than I ever have.

I haven't done the NBMA stuff yet because I don't have a frame-relay switch configured right now. I know dynamips has its own implementation of a frame relay switch but it is inflexible in its configuration so I usually configure my own. I'm going to try to finish that up today and start labbing the NBMA topics in OSPF.

Look out ISIS, we will soon meet again and I shall kick your @$$.... icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    Awesome man. Yeah I don't think I had a true understanding of the LSDB back in the day when we'd talk and I was 'studying'..it finally clicked when I labbed it all up though. Dynamips works great for frame relay if you can set it up properly. I'm still figuring that one out, but I just read a forum the other day where there were multiple CCIE's who passed the R&S lab with 70% or more of their studying done on Dynamips..not too shabby brother.

BTW, you got a PM.
  • Options
    Wowsers. I hate NBMA...but that's not the focus of this discussion, well not entirely.

So I have a frame relay cloud configured. Each multipoint router can ping every other router through the cloud. Connectivity is great.

I configured ospf, which defaults to non-broadcast for multipoint links. No neighborships form as expected. Great. Fine.

I wasn't interested in non-broadcast so I configured the network type to point-to-multipoint nonbroadcast to begin my NBMA refresher course. I manually configure the neighbors and get the topology working. I then decide to tear that down and move on to nonbroadcast. I remove the neighbor statements, set the network types back to nonbroadcast. Should be simple.

This is where the **** hits the fan. Every neighbor relationship died, EXCEPT ONE....and it refused to die. I'm like, "Ok. maybe cisco snaffued or whatever..." so I clear the OSPF process on both offending devices. Neighborship dies, but THEN here it comes creeping back. W T F? non broadcast ospf types have to have neighbors manually configured. Who the HELL does this neighborship god think he is not following the rules? Did Cisco screw up? is this thing still functioning under my original configuration.......?

BLAH!!

*** iKiLLU ****
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Is this in Dynamips? I have seen Dynamips do some buggy things with neighbor relationships.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Is this in Dynamips? I have seen Dynamips do some buggy things with neighbor relationships.

Yes, this was in dynamips....

I was just curious if anyone had seen this behavior before.....
  • Options
    I have had it happen in labs in Dynamips especially when CPU usage is high. Most of the trouble I saw was with EIGRP though.
  • Options
    Yeah, with high CPU usage I would expect to see missing neighbor relationships. I would never expect to have neighbor relationships you just shouldn't have.....

This is actually a server class machine too. It is running about 2% CPU with 11 active devices so resources shouldn't be an issue. Whatever, just thought it was really weird...
  • Options
    When I was running EIGRP labs I would have neighbor relationships just stay up on only one side of the link. Even after shutting down the other router completely, clearing the neighbors and waiting the only way to clear would be to restart Dynamips. Dynamips is a great tool, but still not the real thing.....
  • Options
    yeah, so OSPF is a piece of cake so its time to nail down ISIS. Wish me luck guys, few come out alive.....
  • Options
    Good luck with the ISIS!
  • Options
    IS-IS rocks...I enjoyed studying IS-IS more than anything I think. Ironically enough, I hated IS-IS with a passion before I studied it.