Options

How do I make a jump into programming?

I am at a cross roads in my career.

My work experience is with desktop support, but my education is with computer programming.

Work Experience:
Currently I am doing Help Desk and working as a subcontractor for Desktop support.

Computer Programming:
I have a Computer Programming Diploma and a Computer Programming Certificate from University.

I am familiar with programs like C, C++ and VB.

I would like to move away from computer support and into computer programming.

I don't know how to make a jump into programming.

Any advice would help please.

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I'd say the best way is to make some programs to put into your "portfolio." Write a bunch of programs in different code showing the functions you can create etc.. then start applying for junior level programming jobs and bring your work with you and show them the code and make it so that it can be executed off say a flash drive.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    There are a hundred ways to break into programming. If you don't need much money, you can always find people willing to take a chance on you for their project simply because you will work cheap. The more money you demand the more knowledge, skill, and experience you must be able to demonstrate. And most software shops don't even know what programming certs are, let alone respect them, so count on them adding to your perceived value.

Having a portfolio of applications on a Web site is very impressive to interviewers, especially for Web and game programming jobs. However, I've been on a hundred interviews for software engineering jobs over the past 25 years, and those shops that asked me to bring "a sample of my code" to the interview weren't run by people who knew what they were doing or worth working for. A true interview test of programming skill will be to write code on a whiteboard or blank piece of paper. With all these modern, computer-based tools, hardly anyone codes that way anymore; it's very difficult to do and can make for an excruciating interview. However, the purpose is not to see how well you code, but instead, how well you think.

What kind of programming interests you? Applications, Web, database, graphics/imaging, gaming, OS, client-side, server-side, security, business objects, mobile apps, embedded systems (firmware), etc? The type of software engineering job you want will influence the languages and other skills that you need to know.

Of the languages you mentioned, C will get you into a firmware job, VB6 will have you working on legacy desktop apps (no new apps), and C++ will carry you the farthest into almost anything else. You will also find that there's a high demand for Java and C# programmers too, so consider getting familiar with those languages as well. If you like Web programming, PHP, Ruby, and JavaScript are quite hot.

Search Dice.com for programming jobs that interest you and see what skill the employers are asking for and who are looking for more junior workhorses.
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    I am thinking about going for a MCAD (Microsoft Certified Application Developer) certification as a way to provide some structure to my studies.

What are people experience with MCAD?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    MCAD/MCSD is for the very old .NET 1.1 Framework. You need to look at the MCTS exams for .NET 2.0 and later. Have a look at the posts in our Microsoft Developers Certifications forum.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    I can definitely chime in on this one. My college education had absolutely nothing to do with computer programming (or computer anything for that matter), which actually has cost me about 20K extra in year in salary.

Initially, I just wanted to do networking but I noticed that more and more networking jobs were asking for some programming acumen. So, I took a detour from the MCSE and decided to get the MCAD.

Some observations from that:

1. The MCAD is still a 'rare' microsoft certification. Most recruiters in my area have never even heard of it, but they do understand 'Microsoft Certified Applications Developer.' I actually got 3 calls asking me to interview for programming jobs after I got it. In addition, it opened up the door on a lot of networking jobs. Having something extra definitely helped.

2. In many ways, .NET 2.0 is far more simple than the .NET counterparts. It basically does everything that .NET 1.1 can do but with far more wizards. In my opinion, the programming is actually getting easier as more wizards are being enacted. And 3.5 has made the programming aspect ridiculous -- it's getting to the point where you don't even need to know how to program anymore.

3. Getting a certification and doing a couple of projects will get your foot in the door. Most jobs asked me to bring a few projects. What I did was just use the Microsoft Projects that I did out of the Microsoft Press books. They were good projects and I learned a lot. Jobs are far more concerned that you can create a working application more than anything else.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    BA Degree at least
    Microsoft and Java Programming certs
    Join an open source project and you should be good to go.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    GundamtdkGundamtdk Member Posts: 210
    1. The MCAD is still a 'rare' microsoft certification. Most recruiters in my area have never even heard of it, but they do understand 'Microsoft Certified Applications Developer.' I actually got 3 calls asking me to interview for programming jobs after I got it. In addition, it opened up the door on a lot of networking jobs. Having something extra definitely helped.

I took the MSCA as a way to get jobs.

Unfortuntely it seems MSCA/MCSE are very popular and everybody has heard about this certification so everybody I am in completion with has a MSCA or higher.

I hope with programming it makes me more unique since I can make something unique.
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Gundamtdk wrote:

I took the MSCA as a way to get jobs.

Unfortuntely it seems MSCA/MCSE are very popular and everybody has heard about this certification so everybody I am in completion with has a MSCA or higher.

I hope with programming it makes me more unique since I can make something unique.

MCPD or MCAD will definitely look good with your MCSA. I can attest to that! You are on the right track! :) Just one caveat.. As soon as you get your extra credential, companies will start asking you to get the MCSE. My company is paying me a 1000 bonus to finish the MCSE! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.........
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    If college is an option, do it. Computer Science at most university's are strictly programming and engineering. Every agency or company I've worked for had programmers/software engineers who were right out of college and programming in the languages that are taught in college. I have friends who either graduated before me or with me and they are making VERY good money as software engineers or programmers.

I only recommend college because my MIS degree was 50% Computer Science and that's all they taught us on the CS side. I didn't like programming, so I'm not using it, but went the certification route for the systems/networking side of I.T. There are also a lot of entry-level college graduate recruiting programs that companies have looking for programmers and software engineers with 4 year degrees in computer science or related fields.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)