Exchange 2007 Test lab

mipoukmipouk Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of guidance regarding sending emails from my Exchange 2007 test lab on VMware.

Have got a 2003 DC all updated, have powershell ,IIS and exchange 2007 with all roles apart from the Edge role all installed, no errors, however I cant send mail to my test googlemail account.

Ive got my send connector all set up, all seems fine there. However mails sent by my test user from OWA never get to my google account.

Im unsure of how the authentication process fully works. Does google take a look at my fake domain e.g MCSElab.com, and reject it or does it just deliver it?

Im sure when ive been doing other unrelated tasks at work that ive been able to send to google before even though we hadnt spoken to our External DNS provider about amending the SPF record for one of our domains. Almost as if googlemail doesnt check?

Also I just want to be able to send out to google, not recieve so do i need an MX record on my DC?

Any advice would be great,

Cheers

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sounds like the mail is not leaving your organisation, or googlemail is dropping it due to reverse DNS lookup...

Do you get a bounce back internally?

Are you sending mail and it is being "lost in the oblivion"?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Could be any number of things. Your ISP might be blocking smtp servers from sending outside their network, forcing you to use their SMTP server. Do you have their SMTP server set up as a smart host?

Since you're not using a real domain, any bounce messages that may be generated by google will never make it back to you since they don't know where to send it. Have you enabled logging on the hub transport server and combed the logs for the mail you tried to send to google?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you getting a Non Delivery Report? if not it looks like your mail got send out, I would check your spam box, this happens when your unauthenticated recipient, some private email only accepts mails that are verified that is if your using a certificate.