Options

simple vista/server 2003 network

zeus123zeus123 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□

Im trying to follow the MS press book on 70-290. It says I need xp on another machine and for server 2003 to be networked with the xp machine. Ive only got vista and ive never set up any type of network!
When adding the Computer Management snap-in to MMC I get the choice to use it on the local computer or a remote computer. If I want it to be a remote computer I need to select the computer from a dropdown list. The list is empty but I want my Vista pc to be there.

This is what I have so far.

Wifi Router

Win 2003 enterprise. Connected by wire to the router. I have installed Active Directory with the domain contoso.com

Vista is connected to the wifi box using wifi.

How can I get them to see each other on a network? Could I just use a crossover cable.

Many Thanks guys!

Comments

• Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    what version of vista do you have? you will need to add vista to the contoso.com domain.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Its home premium
  • Options
    You need to get a business version or Ultimate....home premium cannot be put on a domain.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Or XP pro, Im guessing? Thanks for the replies!
  • Options
    XP pro will work too.
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Ok, Im now dual booting xp pro on my vista slaptop.

How do I get the two computers to be "networked"?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    zeus123 wrote:
    How do I get the two computers to be "networked"?

Are you asking about the physical layer (cables, switches, etc.) or creating a domain and joining a computer to it?
  • Options
    Its the creating a domain and joining a computer to it.

I installed Acitive Directory on the Win Server 2003 machine with the domain contoso.com. This has a wired connection to the wireless router. The XP pro machine is a fresh install ans has a wireless connection.

Sorry for the elementary questions. I have never had to set up any kind of network so its all alien to me.
  • Options
    Oh, it's no problem. "Setting up a network" can mean many different things. I just didn't to waste time talking about something that isn't relevant. You should probably refer to this as "setting up a domain," just for future reference.

So you have connectivity between the machines, right? i.e. they can ping each other, etc.

You'll need to set the DNS server of the XP machine to the IP you've assigned to your domain controller. It finds a DC by using the SRV records that are in DNS. You can't join a computer to a domain if it can't find a DC. After you've done this, just right-click my computer > properties > computer name > [change] and type in the domain info.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    You'll need to set the DNS server of the XP machine to the IP you've assigned to your domain controller.

Thankyou!! Thats what I needed to know. Im in!
  • Options
    oh dear, Im stuck again.

I have to two connected but my server 2003 comp doesnt seem to be able to find the xp machine.

I can ping the server from the xp machine, but when I ping from the server it just times out.
  • Options
    Windows Firewall? You'll have to allow ICMP Echo requests.