Options

Job offer

rdix2501rdix2501 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Would you except less money then you currently make just to get a job that you want? I already live off half what I make and the rest goes into the bank or to pay my bills down.
B.S. Management Information Systems
MCSA: Security W.I.P.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Depends on the circumstances. Money certainly isn't everything. I wouldn't write off a job offer simply because it didn't pay as well as what I currently have.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yeah, if the circumstances are correct, and there is enough scope to develop personally and earn more (beyond what I was on in the first place)

I'd go 5-7% under what I was currently earning, at the very most.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    funny you should ask this. to me it depends on the situation. for example, i do tech support right now, and i've been at my job for a little more than a year. if you broke down my salary, i make a lil more than $22/hr. I have been lookin for a desktop support job for a couple of years now. i've had numerous interviews, but never gotten an offer. I had applied to this one company 2 weeks ago, and they called me back last week, asking me in for an interview. and before i could say yes, the dude told me that the pay was between $15/hr & $17/hr. I did the math real quick in my head, and quickly said no. now i am willing to take a slight pay cut to get a DST spot, i'm not crazy and goin to take a drastic pay cut. and since i live in ny, i already know what the avg pay is for a new DST...and it definitely wasnt what they were offering.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Wow what kindve tech support do you do? I do desktop support (more like jr. network admin) and get paid $18 p/h.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't be afraid to ask for what you want guys.......Unless you are desparate you shouldn't have too much trouble doing that...
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote:
    Wow what kindve tech support do you do? I do desktop support (more like jr. network admin) and get paid $18 p/h.

i do tech support(product support) for a software used for SEC filings. and also the fact that i work & live in nyc, my pay might be more than yours, because of COL. when i go on my DST interviews, i know i'm capable as being a dst, because i'm the family "tech guy"...you know each and every one of us is that in our respective families. so i'm used to dealing with PC issues. i've had a summer "internship" as a comp tech when i was in school, and i had work-study as a tech...so i've definitely dealt with this stuff b4. i just need someone to give me a chance. i already found out today that i didnt get one of the jobs i had interviewed for last week, so i'm hoping to hear back from the job i really wanted to get, some time this week.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Oh ok. Well GL finding that first DST job.
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    I left a 75k job for a 50k job because I liked the job and the area more. But I've only been out of school for a year and I know my pay is only going to go up.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do not worry about too much. Having a job is better not having a job right now.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    rubberToerubberToe Inactive Imported Users Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    rdix2501 wrote:
    Would you except less money then you currently make just to get a job that you want? I already live off half what I make and the rest goes into the bank or to pay my bills down.

Why not? If you don't have the experience in that area shouldn't you expect less? Plus, if its a position you would like better and are financially comfortable taking it then what would be the problem?

Reminds me of the saying "you could shovel sh*t for great pay or do something you like for less money."
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you'd get more enjoyment out of it, or if it would lead to something more lucrative in the future, then why not. As long as you're not jeopardizing what you need to make to survive.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I took a VERY huge pay cut when I left programming (college grad recruitment program) to pursue a career in the systems/networking side of I.T. three years later out of college, I will be back at that level again in March.

It all depends on the circumstances. I was single at the time with no kids and only myself to take care of. Even if I was married, my wife would have understood because she would have known I was making a decision that would affect the future...we were just engaged at the time, but she is now seeing the fruit begin to ripen for the picking.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I took a 30k paycut to get my current job. However, now that I am taking on a lot more tasks then originally agreed upon I have a feeling I will be where I was before, or really close. If not I wil be looking for a job elsewhere.

Taking a pay cut is fine, but taking too much of a cut has defiantly affected my living situation and I wouldn't ever do it again. 10% max would be my limit if I was to do it again.