Options

Review Part IV: Tidbits

ThePistonDoctorThePistonDoctor Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is the fourth and final phase of my review posts. As I said when I started this I was going completely from memory for the first three to get an accurate understanding of where my knowledge is. For this section I'm going to take the 16 or so questions that I got wrong on the first practice test I took (exam cram CD) and pull some random tidbits of information from them. Here goes:

With mixed operating systems on the same network, it can be difficult to decide what needs to be installed and what it will take so that every client has access to every server and every resource. Here are some ideas: MS client for MS networks allows clients to interact with NT servers. MS client for Netware networks provide basic functions like NDS logon, but not much more than that. Novell client for Win95/98 allows Win 95/98 clients to interact w/ Netware servers. Novell client for WinNT allows you to log on to Netware and NT servers with a single logon, but does not work with win 95/98. Also - Services for Mac runs on NT server to allow Mac clients to connect to the network and access the NT resources. MacIPX is used to add a mac to a Netware network.

DHCP configures more than just IP addresses. It also configures the default gateway address, DNS and WINS, if necessary. This means that these settings will need to be changed on the client side after you implement a DHCP server.

Primary domain controllers only exist in Windows NT. In other words, in Windows 2000, every domain controller is equal, but in NT there are PDCs and BDCs.

Alright, that's it...test tomorrow at 1:30pm - I think I should ace it after all this crap I just posted...lol - replies are welcome!

ICA (independent computing architecture) allows programs like Citrix WinFrame and Windows Terminal Server to create virtual terminals that can be controlled by remote devices. Speaking of remote access, RAS is for Win2K/NT/XP and allows remote users to dial up a server and access that server's resources remotely, as well as those on the server's network. PPP is the same type of deal, but supports multiple networking protocols. PPTP uses an existing PPP session to make a secure tunnel (VPN) to the internal network.

NAS does not always mean network access server, as in the Sec+ exam. it can also mean network attached storage, which is a hard-drive-like device w/ a networking interface that is used to make its contents available to the network.

A NOS redirector redirects I/O operations that would normally be handled by the local computer to network resources (i.e. sending print requests to a print server instead of a local parallel port).

Full and incremental backups clear the archive bit after they have completed (i.e. they mark what they have backed up). A differential backup uses the archive bit to decide WHAT to back up, but does not reset it after it finishes. The major difference between an incremental backup and a differential backup is that the differential backs up everything since the last full backup, whereas the incremental backs up only that which has changed since the last backup regardless of the type it was.

Example: full backup on sunday, for a diff backup on monday you back up everything that changed since sunday, then on tuesday everything that's changed since sunday, wed since sun, etc etc. with an incremental on monday, you would back up what has changed since sunday, then on tuesday what has changed since monday, wed since tue, etc etc. at least that's how I understand it...

In a packet collision, packets are lost, but CSMA/CD will tell the computers that sent them to resend, so they are really just delayed.

The networking troubleshooting strategy is as follows:

1. Identify the symptoms
2. Identify the affected area
3. Identify what has changed
4. Select the most probable cause
5. Implement the solution
6. Test the result
7. Recognize potential effects of the solution
8. Document the solution

PVC grade plastic is the type of plastic run around a co-axial cable. It can give off poisonous gasses when burned. Plenum cabling is made of a special material that is fire resistant and if burned, will NOT give off toxic fumes. for this reason it is ideal for use in areas where fire could be an issue, or for compliance with certaing building codes.

Comments