Options

Encyrption software - recommendations?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Co. that I work for has a need to start encrypting files that will be stored on an off-site server. We do not have a need to encrypt entire hard drives, just files that will be encrypted locally in one folder, and sent to this off site server for storage.

Cost is a factor. Initially there will be 50 users with access. We have looked at PGP Netshare, but there is no trial version available to evaluate. Truecrypt looks like it wants to do entire drives, which is not necessary, only this one folder (for now).

If anyone has some recommendations, I am all ears.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What OS?

TrueCrypt can also create an encrypted file that will store other files. When you want to access what's in it, you just open up TC, choose "mount", and select a drive letter you want to mount it on (at least in Windows, I assume you'd just use a mount point with Linux). Then you just access it like a drive.
  • Options
    These are all on Win XP. We would like something that encrypts on the fly. So the program knows that anything in this folder gets encrypted, and not have to manually select, if possible.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Like Dynamik said,

Truecrypt allows you to create a file container. This is a file that you can mount as a virtual drive. It's very easy to do and cheap :)
  • Options
    Are you in a domain environment? Do you have a PKI? You could just use EFS.

And TrueCrypt will automatically encrypt anything in the mounted drive. You just need to manually mount/dismount. It might be difficult to maintain the integrity of your password, key file, etc. with that many users though...
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Winzip all the way.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    I'll take another look at Truecrypt.

The environment is Goldmine, using Goldvision as document viewing. So each client record will have a link showing the pdf document associated to it. If someone needs to view it, they will just click on it and it will decrypt on their end.
  • Options
    I think TrueCrypt is going to be a hassle for that. What about the domain/PKI?
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TrueCrypt will do it for you, but take a look at AxCrypt as well.

http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    bump trucrypt for cost reasons....

Andy maybe some sort of keypass system... Just a thought off the top of my head.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really like pgp in a large enviroment. But, if your only doing it for 50 users, and not using WDE, it can get expensive (although, I haven't tried the version you were talking about). Isn't truecrypt free? But, If you ever decide on using WDE on a large number of pc's pgp can't be beat.
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • Options
    TrueCrypt and AxCrypt are both free.

I tend to prefer TrueCrypt, however, users seem to find AxCrypt easier to use.
  • Options
    techgeek07techgeek07 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Question: How are Truecrypt and Axcrypt at key recovery?
    Please excuse any spelling errors, I speak well, but, write like a five year old
  • Options
    heh, don't lose your key.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    If you want a paid peice of software, Guardian Edge is the standard.
  • Options
    brad- wrote:
    I have to disagree with this. In my experience, PointSec has been consistently chosen over everything else.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    techgeek07 wrote:
    Question: How are Truecrypt and Axcrypt at key recovery?

For encrypted volumes (ie. those you create from within Truecrypt to reside on a normal drive) you need to manually record the Key (unless you use Keyfiles), if you lose either forget it. If you encrypt an entire drive it will not let you begin encryption until it verifies you have created the Backup CD with the initial key (No matter what the key is changed to later you will always be able to decrypt the partition with the original).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    RTmarc wrote:
    brad- wrote:
    I have to disagree with this. In my experience, PointSec has been consistently chosen over everything else.

I say that because they have huge government + private sector contracts and we almost started using them a while back.