What was your first IT Certification?

On Oct 23, 1998 I passed the NT Workstation exam, so today is my 10th anniversary as an MCP. Hopefully Ballmer remembered to send me a card...

I was 'taking a break' before going to law school and thought I would try a job in IT for a while. I had been out of school for a couple of years slowly moving along, but was having difficulty moving up without a Comp Sci degree. I was working with Novell servers at the time, but I thought Microsoft had a better future so I picked up an O'Reilly 'In a Nutshell' book as well as an Exam Cram and studied for a few weeks before I sat for the exam. 5 months later I had an MCSE and a new job. Now 10 years later I have had a decent career and don't regret skipping law school.

One important thing I have learned is that it is easier to keep up than it is to catch up. I took almost 8 years between my first MCSE and my CCNA. Now I have been working hard for the past year to not only catch up, but to try and get ahead. Techexams has certainly helped keep me motivated, so thanks.

What was your first certification?
Why did you choose that one?

Comments