Options

Where do i stand? Questions about IT future

falcon101falcon101 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I wanted to see what the IT experienced ones think about my path and current state of IT career that i am in.

I have about 8 years of expercience in IT. I have a MCP WIN2K, A+ and just about getting my bachelors in network commuincations from Devry. I have been working at my current postion in a *biting tounge* Real Estate firm for about 4 years. Started as a PC TECH and now an IT Manager of an IT dept department comprising of.....ME! (long story....call it luck or whatever)

Support about 50 regualr users and close to 500 agent on a daily basis. Job role includes the simplest task of adding printers to a workstation to Maintaining the Servers and Networks for all the 10 remote offices espeically the Corp office and EVERYTHING IT in between. Manage EMAIL Server (NON-EXCHANGE) at a datacenter and maintain networks running on (NON-CISCO) FORTINET router/firewall appliances. Get to manage AD, SQL, USER/NETWORK/IDS policies, order products, provide training and instructions. ALL OF IT! (pun intended)

Make about $70K a year here in Souther Cali.

Considering my certification and a "lack" of exposure to EXCHANGE and CISCO products among other ENTERPRISE level products, am I doomed if i get laid off? Check careerbuilder and companies want SOOOO much more for sooo little less.

Should I freaking FINALLY get my MCSA/MCSE and CCNA and create some leverage if the sky falls.......I am getting TONS of experience in this network infrastructure but its seems that I am missing something....

Sorry just felt like ranting.....

Any advice....

Comments

• Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    How much free time do you get? You could maybe even just study for your mcsa first and get that while on the job. Sounds like you already know some of the stuff so it wouldn't be too daunting.

I would hold off on getting the ccna if I were you until you actually get some experience with cisco routers. It sometimes looks worse having a cert like that on your resume with zero real life experience working with the stuff.

As for getting laid off, you think they might let you go even though you're the only one there? You seem to have lots of experience so I wouldn't be concerned. Experience is better than certs in that you can easily get certs in a matter of weeks if you get laid off, whereas experience takes years :P
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    falcon101 wrote:
    I wanted to see what the IT experienced ones think about my path and current state of IT career that i am in.

I have about 8 years of expercience in IT. I have a MCP WIN2K, A+ and just about getting my bachelors in network commuincations from Devry. I have been working at my current postion in a *biting tounge* Real Estate firm for about 4 years. Started as a PC TECH and now an IT Manager of an IT dept department comprising of.....ME! (long story....call it luck or whatever)

Support about 50 regualr users and close to 500 agent on a daily basis. Job role includes the simplest task of adding printers to a workstation to Maintaining the Servers and Networks for all the 10 remote offices espeically the Corp office and EVERYTHING IT in between. Manage EMAIL Server (NON-EXCHANGE) at a datacenter and maintain networks running on (NON-CISCO) FORTINET router/firewall appliances. Get to manage AD, SQL, USER/NETWORK/IDS policies, order products, provide training and instructions. ALL OF IT! (pun intended)

Make about $70K a year here in Souther Cali.

Considering my certification and a "lack" of exposure to EXCHANGE and CISCO products among other ENTERPRISE level products, am I doomed if i get laid off? Check careerbuilder and companies want SOOOO much more for sooo little less.

Should I freaking FINALLY get my MCSA/MCSE and CCNA and create some leverage if the sky falls.......I am getting TONS of experience in this network infrastructure but its seems that I am missing something....

Sorry just felt like ranting.....

Any advice....

This is the problem with a recession. Jobs go down, pay goes down, but skill requirements can go drastically up until the next economic boom occurs. The good news for you is that you are the only IT guy. But you are right. You could face a very real possibility of pay cut if layed off. I would continue to update my skills. We haven't had a severe recession in over 30 years and the evidence is strongly pointing towards one. Unfortunately, very few people are prepared for a bad recession right now so it could get nasty.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    SQL is a big one I see out there. If you have any Linux experience that will open up even more eyes of managers. MCSE would definitely be worth the investment as I found mine opening up many doors. If worst comes to worst then start looking into relocating where your skills can be of use. Just because you don't have Cisco doesn't mean that employers will pass you up completely. Just keep building your skills when you can. If you can pick up Cisco in the meanwhile then all the better!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Considering you administer the companies infastructure I think it would be worth while to get your MCSA. I was close to the same boat as you a few months back. I have 9 years of experience but not certifications to back it up. After I took the MCSA a lot more doors opened. My SQL certifications help me more than any, but i have a couple years of a DBA experience as well so they go hand in hand. Get the MCSA at the very least. Depending what certifications you hold currently it may be worth it to get the MCSE. The certification path I chose it would still take 5 more tests for me to get my MCSE and I feel its not worth it in my case.

Defiantly get the MCSA. Should be a breeze even with the type of experience you have had in the real estate environment.
  • Options
    falcon101falcon101 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I really appreciate the responses fellas...

I should have been more clearer on my "pain". Yes i am the only IT GUY in the company but the way the economic situation is nowadays (really?) working for a big name Real Estate firm which cut down more than half of its work force and other aggressive cost cutting measure, it gives the word "skeleton crew" a whole new meaning. I expect anything and everything.

Luckily, i do get work with Windows 2003, RHT Linux (mostly GUI, vendor does CLI), Fortinet Routers and Firewalls, XP/VISTA, MAC's, mix hardware/software, Vmware Server and different networks. But again, NO EXCHANGE and CISCO. That really bothers and scares me for my future. Feel like falling behind of times.

I should get Net+ to finish off my MCSA 2000 track which i know is embarrassing considering Server 2008 is here.

Wish me luck.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    I feel your pain. I have very similar experience as you, and it is hard to find a new full time job. I have been able to find consulting jobs, but I want stability...

This is very similar to what happened to me in 2000. I was laid off 3 times in 2 years. I managed to stay employed but the jobs stunk.

However there is really not a lot we can do to control all of this. Focus on continuing to build your skills, and hope for the best. And realize that even if things get worse it will only be temporairy.

And above all else prepare for the worst just in case. Try to have as many months of rent/bill money saved up as you can. So if you do get laid off, you will not be out in the streets and you can study like a mad man. Eventually the economy will turn around and you will be in really high demand!!!

And unless your company folds completely they are going to need an IT guy. Sure you might have to take a pay cut, but in todays times what is worse: less pay or no pay?

Keep your head up and this will pass.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.