Options

worried about 2009

livenliven Member Posts: 918
I am worried about the job market next year....

Having suffered through the bubble burst, I had to work some crappy jobs...

I PRAY that we don't have to suffer through that again... But being realistic this economic situation seems way worse....

Some one tell me I am an @ss hole and set me straight.
encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Well, you're certainly an a-hole. What does that have to do with the job market though ;)
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    2009 will probably be a rough year for jobs and for the economy as a whole. All the more reason to keep learning, earning certs, and separating yourself from the pack. Someone will have to do these jobs. The average TE member will be in better shape than a lot of the unmotivated complacent people out there.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    2009 will probably be a rough year for jobs and for the economy as a whole. All the more reason to keep learning, earning certs, and separating yourself from the pack. Someone will have to do these jobs. The average TE member will be in better shape than a lot of the unmotivated complacent people out there.

+1

There will always be jobs. If we happen to go through a time with less job opportunities you just have to ensure to set yourself apart from the competitors.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Be Afraid!! Be VERY Afraid!!

If things get as bad as they could, I'll probably be taking a massive pay cut.... and your job. :D

You may want to enhance your knowledge and skills!!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    liven wrote:
    I am worried about the job market next year....

Having suffered through the bubble burst, I had to work some crappy jobs...

I PRAY that we don't have to suffer through that again... But being realistic this economic situation seems way worse....

Some one tell me I am an @ss hole and set me straight.

Liven, some of us who remember that time can definitely count some painful memories. Unfortunately, through artificial, manipulative means, we just finished the longest economic expansion in US history. Most everyone agrees that a severe recession is very warranted and it won't be pretty.

So, your fears are very justified. I've wondered about my current job also. I accepted a job as a contractor and that may not be wise when you are getting ready to experience a big recession.

I agree with everyone in that we have to keep our skills up, but even with that, decreased demand is always bad.
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote:
    Well, you're certainly an a-hole. What does that have to do with the job market though ;)

OHHHHHHHHHH SNAAAAP!

icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    There will always be jobs. If we happen to go through a time with less job opportunities you just have to ensure to set yourself apart from the competitors.

I would agree with networker on this one. Just because a recession rolls on in doesn't mean that work just stops getting done. It just means you'll have to look all that more appealing to the employer.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    The service industry isn't going to serve itself! icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Things are definitely going down hill as far as the economy goes, jobs will be harder to come by and most openings will be to only backfill a position that somebody left vacant, then we'll have 100 ppl to every 1 opening. Can we say ppl willing to take less wages to secure a job. Not a pretty picture.

On the brighter side, ppl need networking and ppl need internet, it has become an integrated part of our society. Without the internet or networking in general our economy would crumble, computers/networking run our world today.

Without a doubt we, IT ppl, are not safe and there will be cuts. The only thing that you can do is set you self apart from the crowd by studying and certifying. It's time to put our easy going lifestyle on a hold for a few years and make ourselves invaluable. If you are indisposable to a company then they will do what ever it takes to keep you.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I say bag some skills/certs while you can. If the worst does happen you'll stand a better chance of another position, however, there is nothing that you can do about it but make each decision as it is required.

Don't let it eat you up.
  • Options
    Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This has been bothering me as well a good bit as well because to me the first people to get cut will be those with the helpdesk i think. That would make it even more difficult to get an entry level position. Also since i work for a small business i am afraid i will lose my current job (If a certain person raises the taxes of my employer who apparently is the evil rich, lol)
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm not too worried, I work for £30m a year company and the numbers are going up...

Love being in the Health industry for this - protected industry in the UK really.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    dynamik wrote:

Dude,

you kill me....

And it sounds like you could use more fiber in your diet.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    liven wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Dude,

you kill me....

And it sounds like you could use more fiber in your diet.

i think dynamik was playing around because you asked somebody to call you an a$$hole
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    He knows. I wouldn't call just anyone an a-hole icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm getting more heavily involved in virtualization. As companies try to consolidate data centers and cut energy and facility costs, that is a skill that will increase in demand despite the economy.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    This has been bothering me as well a good bit as well because to me the first people to get cut will be those with the helpdesk i think. That would make it even more difficult to get an entry level position. Also since i work for a small business i am afraid i will lose my current job (If a certain person raises the taxes of my employer who apparently is the evil rich, lol)

I know where your getting at, but read everything in the plan. More health insurance cuts and a bunch of other bennies that will help things out. Where I work though everybody is pumped to get him in office. More money spent on Telecom which means we should see a increase in business.
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124

Hey don't worry, even though you'll lose your job because most employers make over 250k a year, he'll help spread that wealth around. I know quite a few employers that will be cutting jobs if their taxes go up, but sadly not everyone is aware that raising business taxes during an economic down turn is stupid.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Could be worse.. You could be involved in the house building/selling, car manufacture/sales, banking, tourism, airline industries.. Those people have it bad.

There is always a need for the basics regardless of the current financial climate. Luckily, IT could be considered a basic necessity. It is involved in practically everything and the beauty of the professionis that it is a very flexible one. You can work in many different sectors of industry and still do the same thing as someone in a different industry. Although my peers hate it when I say this, but I liken us IT support to the other business support functions... cleaning, mail room, personell, payroll, canteen, etc. Although our numbers may get diminished, there will still be a need for our presence.

Your not wrong about the job market though. Jobs getting thinner even before the usual mid November-February slow down. So many contractors have been let go, there are well over 100 very qualified and experienced applicants for every job, especially the permanent ones. Not a great time to be an IT newbie after your first job...

I expect many current IT people to drop right out of the profession altogether just like after the dot.com fiasco. Changing profession may not be a bad thing. Many industries make tonnes more money than IT. plasterors, gas plumbers, etc. Notice I left out builders though when the housing market eventually picks back up, a handy builder with an eye for buying low and doing up themselves will never be poor.

Just keep your whits about you and think on your feet. Now is not the time to be an osterich or trust in your employers to look after you or not consider if in fact you might actually be a lot better off in a different profession.
    Kam.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck on your job hunt.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    oo_snoopy wrote:

Hey don't worry, even though you'll lose your job because most employers make over 250k a year, he'll help spread that wealth around. I know quite a few employers that will be cutting jobs if their taxes go up, but sadly not everyone is aware that raising business taxes during an economic down turn is stupid.

icon_rolleyes.gif You're not gonna lose your job just because EITHER McCain or Obama get elected.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    be ready to fight for call center jobs.

This is SPARTA!!! icon_twisted.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    MCPWannabeMCPWannabe Member Posts: 194
    Andretii wrote:
    be ready to fight for call center jobs.

This is SPARTA!!! icon_twisted.gif

Good Lord.. No-ooohoooooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I've escaped call centers and so can you! Certification Trail and mean pay job offers for me: A+ == $14, Net+==$16, MCSA==$20-$22, MCAD==$25-$30, MCSD -- $40, MCT(Development), MCITP Business Intelligence, MCPD Enterprise Applications Developer -- $700 a Day
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□

Obama isn't taxing 98.6% of small business...
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    unrelated to the topic (sorry)

I'm sad that Joe the plumber didn't have a business name before all this publicity. That marketing would be priceless.

His business name better be 'Joe The Plumber'.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote:
    I'm getting more heavily involved in virtualization. As companies try to consolidate data centers and cut energy and facility costs, that is a skill that will increase in demand despite the economy.

+1

My company has invested a wad in thin clients and server virtualization. You just can't beat the savings potential. I was the first to raise my hand when training opportunities presented themselves.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    oo_snoopy wrote:

icon_rolleyes.gif You're not gonna lose your job just because EITHER McCain or Obama get elected.

HeroPsycho is right. People have to be intelligent enough to look at the whole picture. You have to dig deep to get to the meat of the issue. Learn about various plans and study effects based on past experience and knowledge. Stop making decisions based on sound bites, commercials and biased talking heads. Make your opinions informed opinions.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    oo_snoopy wrote:

Aren't businesses just taxed on profit? We're a company of about 30 people with $4 million in sales, and we're not going to end up with over $250k. Most small businesses that I know of are a lot smaller than us.
    Mishra wrote:
    unrelated to the topic (sorry)

I'm sad that Joe the plumber didn't have a business name before all this publicity. That marketing would be priceless.

His business name better be 'Joe The Plumber'.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/34084
  • Options
    Phliplip112Phliplip112 Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    oo_snoopy wrote:

yea that's like Eco 101, but his policy's are not based on whats going to grow the economy. to him its about whats fair. icon_confused.gif its rob peter to pay paul even more so than we already do, lol.

dynamik wrote:
    Aren't businesses just taxed on profit? We're a company of about 30 people with $4 million in sales, and we're not going to end up with over $250k. Most small businesses that I know of are a lot smaller than us.

so wait are you saying the net income for the business is less than 250K? then also you have to ask yourself is he talking about gross profit or net profit or what??

about the 98% thing im not totally sure but i bet most people on this site that have a high level of technical skill don't work for a small business. unless they own their own small consulting business.
  • Options
    so wait are you saying the net income for the business is less than 250K?

I'm not positive, but I think it would be. We go through a huge amount of materials such as aluminum, plastics, glass, etc., so while we have a lot in sales (relative to our size), it's fairly expensive to produce what we do. To be completely honest, I'm really a novice when it comes to all of this. For example, I would assume businesses would be taxed after things like payroll, but I really don't know. I'm not trying to make a point; I just want to increase my understanding of the situation.
    then also you have to ask yourself is he talking about gross profit or net profit or what??

That's what I'm trying to clarify. People keep throwing around this $250k number without knowing what the actual implications are. I brought this up as a genuine question; I honestly don't know myself.
    about the 98% thing im not totally sure but i bet most people on this site that have a high level of technical skill don't work for a small business. unless they own their own small consulting business.

A lot actually do. I'm going to PM MS; he probably has a better handle on this than anyone.