Options

Do you read "Dummies" book series?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
For many years now, I've seen "Dummbies" series books, i.e. "Netowrking for dummies" and etc. I've never read any simply the title is kind of 'degrading' and I take it at face value. But I could be biased.

So, have you read them? How do you find them?

Comments

• Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I have read a few of them. Very quick reads, down and dirty. Great for delving into a topic for the first time or for a quick refresher on a topic. Not for in-depth study or reference.

The title is just a marketing gimmick. They are written by different authors, so it is impossible to recommend the books as a series. Do some research on the author before buying.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I've always been intrigued by "Dummies" titles such as, "Beekeeping for Dummies," "Freemasonry for Dummies," "Rottweilers for Dummies," and "Wall Street for Dummies." Do we really want dummies trying these things out? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote:
    I've always been intrigued by "Dummies" titles such as, "Beekeeping for Dummies, [...] Do we really want dummies trying these things out? icon_scratch.gif

Congrats JDMurray! You've just figured out who to blame for the current financial crisis icon_lol.gif

Some dummies messed up the numbers!
  • Options
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    I have read a few of them. Very quick reads, down and dirty.

Here's a section from an actual Dummies book telling you what each icon means in the book:

"Technical Stuff - Technical information you can merrily skip over.

Remember - Something you should remember to do.

Warning! - Something you should remember not to do.

Tip - A healthy suggestion worthy of note."

Now that's the lord of dummies icon_evil.gif
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Listen, I am not an expert on "Dummies" books. But, I think you're getting too caught up on the titles and marketing involved. The supposed charm in these books is that they are informal, easy to read, and for the laymen (Dummy).

Catchy titles and slogans aside, you could find some good info or you may not. Just take them for what there are worth. They are not a comprehensive guide for any topic, but they don't claim to be.

You got me defending these silly Dummies books! :D Thanks a lot, I obviously need to get a life so I have something better to do on a Saturday morning.
  • Options
    No, I actually like the book. It's using funny language and that's what I need to learn boring stuff :)
  • Options
    IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    The dummies books are what got me into IT. Building a PC for dummies was my first IT book. But I agree, it's a good reference book but not for in depth study.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Only one I took a look at was TCP/IP for dummies. It was being used as part of the training curriculum for a call center. It was actually pretty good and had surprisingly in-depth info in it. I would recommend not giving them a complete pass inspite of the title.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I just bought the SQL 2005 for dummies .. started to read it ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I tried to read a couple from the Dummies series, I always get hung up on the fake humour and end up putting it down and choosing another book.

I really have problems with books, if I don't like to style I cannot learn. As I am so fussy, I have a subscription to http://safari.oreilly.com to ensure that I get along with the writing style before I print or buy.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same here really .. I get bored quite quickly ..

But I enjoyed the Mark Minasi series of Server 2003 VERY much ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Gomjaba wrote:
    But I enjoyed the Mark Minasi series of Server 2003 VERY much ..

I've heard very good things about the Mark Minasi series, I look forward to reading some in the future
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't gone through any of the IT Dummies books because they seemed to lack the depth I was looking for, but I have some, such as DSLRs for Dummies, that have been great introductions to things I wasn't familiar with.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have a few at work. They can be great assistance when delving into something you are not familiar with and need to find the right command to do something.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've read Storage Area Networking for Dummies (which at the time of its release was one of the two best books as an intro to SANs) and Crystal Xcelsius for Dummies - since at the time it was the only book out there - and honestly it wasn't half bad.