Options

network problem

crisb20crisb20 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I came across a strange problem at work today. I do level 1 help desk for a retailer chain that consists of windows xp workstations and Sco unix server. Anyways the server crashed and one of our techs basicly reinstalled the operating system on the Sco Unix server from scratch. After the reinstall I was able to ping the server and workstations from my workstation over the Wan, but when I tried to ping the LAN workstations SSH'd into the server via ping -c3 10.X.X.X I received 100% packet loss. The ticket got escalated via corporate rules and unfortunatley I have a 3 day vacation, but what do you all think is going on, it is really bugging me.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    My initial reaction is misconfigured firewall rules. There isn't enough info there to say for sure though. It could also be a routing problem.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    I previously had a similar problem. The issue was that the default gateway on the server was set incorrectly. It was set the same as the servers IP. So while the server was reachable by other computers on the same subnet, the server could not reach any of the computers.
  • Options
    livenliven Member Posts: 918
    Could be the subnet mask.

Lots of places use a standard 255.255.255.0 maks, but once in a while you will something different.

Be sure to look at that as well.
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.