Options

Question about asking for a raise.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
How long should you be employed somewhere before asking for a raise? I have been with my current employer for a year and a month. I have yet to receive one raise.

I asked for $40,000 when I started, but was offered less. I took it because it was more than my prior job.

Don't get me wrong, I love my job. I love the people, my environment, the things I get to work with, etc. However, it's getting to the point now where I feel undervalued every freaking day.

My job responsibility is on par with that of my boss. I receive nothing but compliments from folks in the office (multiple people have joked with my boss that I deserve a raise. The freaking accountant for our company being one of them), as well as clients we work with in the field. I consistently perform well and am completely self sufficient at work. My boss and I rarely interact anymore because I deal with the clients myself.

It would take a while to explain all of the details, so I'll just stop there.

The short of it is, I know for a fact I am worth at least $40,000 a year, most likely more given the responsibility I hold in this position, even in this area where the cost of living is relatively low. I am just worried about asking for a raise now, with the economy being what it is, the fact that the fiscal year is getting ready to end, Christmas is coming up and bonuses will be given out.

I am confident in being able to make my case. There is no case to make, really. To think I'm not worth that to my current employer would be an insult and a slap in my face.

Anyway, do you think I'm justified in going ahead and asking?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Aren't you given annual reviews? That would probably be the most appropriate time.

I don't think there's any harm in asking. Just be respectful and don't make it sound like a threat.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Supposedly we do, and it has been mentioned to me, but I've yet to hear anything else about it.

The only thing is, even though I don't want to come across as threatening, I do feel quite undervalued and that my effort is a bit unappreciated.

I mean, should I wait another few months until after the fiscal year is over and see what happens?
  • Options
    seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Raises are normally given at the end of the fiscal year.

You may also want to check your job market before you potentially offend them and they let you go. Being underpaid is better than being unemployeed.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I'd hold off until the end of the year and ask if there will be an annual review where you can discuss how the past year has gone for you performance wise. I've been with my company coming up on a year they have what they call a Performance Management Plan where you meet with you manager midway and at the end discuss your set objectives and your learning plans. maybe suggest something like that where they entail you to training goals as well.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Every place I have worked we either got a review (thus raise would come from that) or in the government sector where it would be negotiated. I'd say it can't hurt to ask, but as other have said don't make it sound like a threat. I'd also do it in private to avoid a seen. But you won't know till you ask! I thought I read somewhere that a large percentage of people would get a raise if they asked.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    majkowskidmajkowskid Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah, i'll have to agree with the person that said make sure you hav ea backup plan in case they say pack your bags.

on another note... i'm sensing that you have not been there for a year. a lot of companies have a corporate policy that does not allow them to increase your salary for 12 months. that's how it is for where i work. the first 12 months is like an evaluation period.

after you've been there 12 months, then i may ask, but make sure you have a backup plan.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Supposedly we do, and it has been mentioned to me, but I've yet to hear anything else about it.

The only thing is, even though I don't want to come across as threatening, I do feel quite undervalued and that my effort is a bit unappreciated.

I mean, should I wait another few months until after the fiscal year is over and see what happens?

Why not just ask either your boss or someone in HR about their policy on performance reviews? No need to wait until the end of the year, ask the appropriate person and find out today!
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you should have plan B cooking before asking.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i was in the same boat as well, start my new job next month with a significant pay increase, my current employer felt threatened when i became certified and actively sought ways to make me stop my certification path... ask and see what ur HR has to say, can't hurt, good luck.
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    The problem with IT folks is that they're too damn weak, and too many allow themselves to be exploited. Overworked and underpaid. Stand up for yourself and demand your worth! I'm sick of the crap that IT folks take, it brings down the value of the rest of us in the field. But, be sure to cover your bases of course.