Options

Terminal Services profile Error? Outlook Cannot Start!

albangaalbanga Member Posts: 164
Hi All,

Hoping someone can help or give some insight :D

We seem to be having a "slight" issue where by something has gone seriously wrong with some users TS roaming profiles. I use the word slight because it happened to a single user yesterday, but again today. So at the moment we have taken a 3 strike approach but i still want to get a heads up. Basically the issue is this;

A user has been working fine with a TS roaming profile, has been doing so for the last 2 years. Yesterday the profile loads, desktop icons are there, favorites appear in internet explorer but when the user attempts to load Outlook the error message appears "Outlook Cannot Start". I attempted to right-click and go to properties of outlook and was then given the message "you need more memory or system resources".

Where it really gets strange though is that some things were not applying such as the "shut down" option appeared on the start menu, the clock dissapeared from the task tray, the "run" box was there and you could launch things such as regedit. All these are usually locked down by group policy.

Now i know peoploe may say this sounds more like a permissions problem but thas is not the case as the user has been working fine for years and not a single thing has been changed to there access. Furthmore in order to fix the problem i changed there current TS roaming profile to USER.OLD and then logged the user in. This obviously caused the system to create a brand new pfofile, which works perfect. Outlook starts fine, none of the shut down and run boxes appear. The profile workls as it should, and exactly the same permissions are set to that folder.

This is why i have put it down to a profile issue. Obviously this is a pretty easy thing to do and when it happens i can just create a new profile, copy across icons and favorites but as you could imagine this is quite a pain and then i need to go and set-up outlook profiles, printers.etc.etc

So i was wondering. Has anybody seen this before? heard of it? If so what steps did u take to resolve the issue? Im open to try any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I see alot of profile issues with users downloading music and Video and saving them in Mydocuments. This oftens fills the users quota and then the profile cannot be saved at logon/off.
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't work with TS roaming profiles a lot, but I've seen stuff like that happen a couple of times with regular profiles. I basically did the same thing as you to correct it. A user asked why that would happen. I told her I wasn't really sure. Maybe an update didn't get configured properly, things didn't shut down properly, etc. She's like, "Oh yea, it told me not to turn it off, but I was in a hurry, so I had to." icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    The users my documents connect to there personal drives which have no quotas set on them so i dont think that is the issue.

Profiles are a crazy thing though, they tend to do a lot of wierd things. This thing has just got me worried though as it has happened twice in two days.

Thanks for the feedback though guys :)
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    is this pure TS or Citrix etc where users run published apps?
  • Options