Options

Book Recommendations and Reviews for Learning IPv6

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
So, once again, I'm agonizing over a purchase. icon_lol.gif

While chapter 2 of Routing TCP/IP Volume I is a great introduction and the following chapters have me practicing configs in both IPv4 and IPv6, I feel like I want a better reference to expand my knowledge beyond "just what Cisco feels I need to know". Since I've been working with IPv4 for so long, it really feels like I'm relearning how to walk, and I need something to help me not only really nail down the concepts, but also something I can come back to when I need guidance.

I've gone out to bookstores around the Bay Area and found quite a few books that cover IPv6, and I've compared all of those to their respective ratings on Amazon, as well as how well they read once I have them in my hot little hands. I've narrowed it down to three top choices, but I thought I'd get some input from people I actually trust to give some realistic feedback:

So far, my favorite looks to be Running IPv6 by Apress. It's light-weight, but still seems to cover a lot. The fact that it seems to jump straight to the point, as well as showing examples on multiple platforms is what makes it very tempting.

IPv6 Network Administration from O'Reilly looked pretty good, and it got some very good reviews on Amazon from users stating that it was excellent for learning as well as administrating IPv6.

And, of course, the Cisco-recommended IPv6: Theory, Protocol, and Practice, 2nd Edition looked to be a pretty good read. It's gotten favorable reviews as a good learning resource, but not being very good for advanced topics and reference.

So, those are my top three picks. If anyone has any thoughts on those books, I'd love to hear your thoughts, what you think of them as both learning and reference. Naturally, if anyone has suggestions for other books I should consider, then definitely chime in, (an overview of the aformentioned suggestion is also helpful).

Note: For those of you who've deduced what I'm reading all this for, I'm already planning on picking up Implementing Cisco IPv6 Networks down the road. First thing's first, learn the protocol as a whole and then learn to implement it on a specific platform.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I guess it depends on the OS you use. I read that IPv6 Network Administration was heavily focused on the various *nix platforms so I skipped it. I started with IPv6 Essentials from O'Reilly and so far it has been a good introduction. I have only read a couple of chapters, though.

The brief introduction to IPv6 in the 70-642 study guide led me to Understanding IPv6, Second Edition from MS Press. The author wrote the IPv6 section in the study guide, but he is better known as The Cable Guy on the MS Technet blogs. I highly recommend this book if you are interested in IPv6 as it pertains to Vista and Server 2008. If you are a *nix person, then you can probably skip this book.

IPv6 Essentials was published in 2006 while the MSPress book was published in Jan 2008. This has caused me some confusion as to what features have been de-emphasized in the last two years and what we call their replacements.

Eventually I will pick up the Cisco IPv6 books, but I have not considered the Apress book until now, so thanks for the recommendation. My focus is more about IPv6 in Windows right now, and I'll move on the the Cisco implementation after I finish the MCITP:EA. I'll have to renew my CCNA next year, so I really will start on the CCNP - seriously, no more procrastination icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Oh I think Doyle is pretty good for IPv6 theory and has a case study from the RFC but is a little light on configuration examples IMHO once you want to get into that side of things.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Full disclosure - I don't always buy my books based on reviews, but I also consider discounts and availability.

I am an Amazon Prime member, which means I get free shipping on top of the 37% discount Amazon has on MS Press books, so I buy a lot of MS Press books. The O'Reilly discounts on Amazon vary (only 14% or 10% on the IPv6 books) so I wait until I get a good coupon from my Borders Rewards membership email - such as 30% off - and make a trip to my local Borders. If I can't decide between two books and my store only has one of them, availability is the deciding factor. Cisco Press books are almost always cheaper to buy directly from CiscoPress.com, while Sybex books vary like O'Reilly. Computer books are expensive and I doubt I will ever read one of them cover-to-cover, so I try to spend as little as possible.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have seen way too many books going into so much detail and yet don't go nowehere near configuration examples ..

Would love to see a good reference for the Windows world too
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Claymoore, I'll take a look at IPv6 Essentials from O'Reilly and I'll definitely check out the MS Press book as well. I'm not 100% a Windows guy, I tend to lean about 25% - 30% towards Linux and FreeBSD when I'm working or labbing things out at home. Primarily, this'll be a suppliment to what Cisco has on the topic, but if Understanding IPv6 is as good when I page through it as the reviews claim, I might just go ahead and get it.

• Options
    Turgon wrote:
    Oh I think Doyle is pretty good for IPv6 theory and has a case study from the RFC but is a little light on configuration examples IMHO once you want to get into that side of things.
    I thought the same thing. It's a good start, but doesn't really teach a whole lot in-depth. It kind of reminded me of the algebra-review section at the start of a calculus book: enough to refresh your memory and show you what you need for the rest of the book, but not enough to learn from scratch with.