Options

For those who have a degree

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I had a question for those of you with a degree. What was the highest level math you took and did you ever use it? My college has me taking Calc and I am finding it to be a complete waste for an IT degree. As an aside, I wrote this on my iPod Touch!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, you're as bad as Astorrs ;)

I did calc my first year when I was considering CSci. That program was really heavy with math and physics, so I didn't pursue it after that. I still thought it was interesting. I'd rather do a challenging course like calc than some of the other BS requirements I've had to do. I don't think I've ever used anything beyond algebra in a real-world situation.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I went to a UC. They are on the quarter system, i.e. Fall, Winter, and Spring. Three quarters of Calc and one quarter of Abstract Math. That was for ICS, Information Computer Science math requirements.

It really depends on what major. All non-technical majors were up to like 1-2 quarters of math. All engineering and ICS were 4-6 quarters of math. I believe for a college or university where the major is MIS, it would be more statistics rather than calc. I think that is more useful for analyzing load against base-line performance values. IMHO.
  • Options
    majkowskidmajkowskid Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i am in my senior year right now (as well as working full time for a gov contractor in IT, and raising 3 yr old TWINS!!!!!)

but anyways, i'm in my senior year of my MIS degree at park university, and i had to takd 3 years of math. i clepped two years, and took statistics... that was a B!T$% :) still made an A, but by luck.

anyways, i feel the same way... some of the math is rediculous and i swear you'll never use it in an IT career, unless you're some sort of mega programmer. but i'm shooting for a management position over the IT people... so i hope i'll never use it.

good luck with your studies, and stick with it. it will pay off!
  • Options
    120nm4n120nm4n Member Posts: 116
    Calculus II. Not fun, and I later found out that I could take a much easier math path. :-/ And to answer your question, I don't use much math (as far as work is concerned), except doing basic conversions (bin, hex, etc).
    WIP: MCITP: EA
    70-620 - Done
    70-647 - In Progress
    70-649 - Soon.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Calculus w/ Analytical Geometry II
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was a Computer Science Major I had to take Calc III and Engineering Physics II.

Have I used it? Never.

That is not to say it doesn't have its place. Do these classes focus on some pretty intense ****? Yes. But that is not why you take them. You take them to develop some kick ass problem solving skills, an absolute must for programming, and if you've done any extensive programming, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I had to take Stats and Calc for my degree in Information Systems...my masters I've had to use it for bandwidth calculations and such so I have used it to a point.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where I want to school CS majors had to go to calc II and a year of Physics. CIS majors needed Calc I and Stats. As a chemistry major working on a certified degree program, I had the year of physics and math through Calc III. I also have had pre-calc, Discrete analysis, and now stats.

With all of these classes, I wish one of them would have spent some time on binary and hex.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    When an organization needs math done it hires a mathematician, not a CS or EE. For a CS or EE to know heavy math is a convenience, but for most careers it's not a necessity.

If you want to study the actual logical math of computer programming, take the Boolean Algebra, Sentential Calculus, and Predicate Calculus classes offered by your school's Philosophy department. I use those mathematics almost every day. If I need any other math (graphics, crypto, heavy stats), I have a mathematician do it for me. I do enjoy playing with math, but I don't want to hack it for a living.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm still heading into Calculus I, (had to drop classes this semester due to that whole "life" crap). I'll be working my way through Calculus III, differential equations, discrete math, linear algebra, as well as three semesters of physics, on my way to an EECS degree. I enjoy working with the sciences and mathematics, which is why I'll probably head into doing research on the electrical engineering side of things once I'm doing grad-work, rather than head back into IT and/or software development.

Why do I want to do all these things, basically forcing myself to use the math and physics I'm learning in school? Because I find stuff like the following hilarious:

abd4_day_without_fusion.jpg
    resistance.jpg
    TQWEo.jpg

And, not the same scientific field as the one I'm getting into, but still funny (I bombed Biology 101):
    the_solution.jpg

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    calculus I, Discrete Structures, & Stats...and hell no...

now that i'm goin into grad school, i have to take calc II in order to start my program...i still probably wont use it. i never understood the point of calc in IT...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Calculus is high level math ?? dude, it's one step beyond high school math :)

See, all electrical engineering courses are pure math, and if you study computer engineering (depending on your college) you should take many electrical engineering courses.

Back to your question, the highest course for me was "Probably and Random signals" using this mighty book http://www.amazon.com/Probability-Random-Variables-Signal-Principles/dp/0071181814/ref=cm_lmf_tit_7_rsrsrs0

. That was the ugliest of all ! and this course (again, name of the course and content of the material is different in each uni).

Also, "Signals Processing" was a hard course. "Electrical circuits" and "Electronic circuits" aren't as hard as the previous ones, but they're worth mentioning.

I don't know if it's a waste or not, but trust me if you're up to this challenge, then you're up to just about everything.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    UnixGuy wrote:

See, all electrical engineering courses are pure math, and if you study computer engineering (depending on your college) you should take many electrical engineering courses.

Back to your question, the highest course for me was "Probably and Random signals" using this mighty book http://www.amazon.com/Probability-Random-Variables-Signal-Principles/dp/0071181814/ref=cm_lmf_tit_7_rsrsrs0

. That was the ugliest of all ! and this course (again, name of the course and content of the material is different in each uni).

Also, "Signals Processing" was a hard course. "Electrical circuits" and "Electronic circuits" aren't as hard as the previous ones, but they're worth mentioning.

I don't know if it's a waste or not, but trust me if you're up to this challenge, then you're up to just about everything.
    Probability and Random Signals. . . electrical circuits?!? What kind of geeky, nerd-classes have you been taking? Oh, wait. . . icon_lol.gif

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Slowhand wrote:
    UnixGuy wrote:

Probability and Random Signals. . . electrical circuits?!? What kind of geeky, nerd-classes have you been taking? Oh, wait. . . icon_lol.gif

don't ask lol..I used to workout all the problems and practice questions in the book sometimes :) I did well in Signals processing, and I did well in probability, but i screwed up in electrical circuits lol
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    I could list all my Math classes here, just for fun, but I don't feel I am the target audience for this question icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    You take them to develop some kick ass problem solving skills

Finally someone who understands why a degree is worth pursuing!

And to answer the original question, I took Calculus I/II and Classical and Linear Algebra along with some algorithm and graphy theory courses. If you're part of an engineering department designing large-scale networks you'd probably put that knowledge to work...but for operations work, you'll never have to touch it again. Thank goodness! :)
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Calc sounds about right for a Computer Science major. I went for Computer Networking myself and didn't go any higher than Mathematical Analysis (algebra basically). Took 3 math classes total, also took Physics too.

And you're right, you don't use it any of it. What can you do though, it's state requirements, the school has no say in the matter. Only thing you can do is pursue a degree in a technical school to take little liberal arts as possible.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I took a programming degree in college and ended up doing Linear Equations as my highest level. Basically its a whole bunch of matrix manipulations. Anyways, do I use it? Well the math itself, no. However, I find that people who have taken higher level math courses through out their college career tend to be smarter. Not that I'm saying that you guys who took calc are dumb =d
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I had to take Discrete Math...that class utterly sucked.

I use some of the logic I learned in Math classes for some of the programming I do, but not much.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote:
    on't ask lol..I used to workout all the problems and practice questions in the book sometimes :) I did well in Signals processing, and I did well in probability, but i screwed up in electrical circuits lol
    Heh, heh. . . I'll have to let you know how I do once I get there.

• Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    I took up to calc 1 and I can safely say I have forgotten everything from it lol.

The basic scripting I do in Vb doesn't use stupid calc. What a waste of 5 credits.
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    mamono wrote:
    I went to a UC. They are on the quarter system, i.e. Fall, Winter, and Spring. Three quarters of Calc and one quarter of Abstract Math. That was for ICS, Information Computer Science math requirements.

It really depends on what major. All non-technical majors were up to like 1-2 quarters of math. All engineering and ICS were 4-6 quarters of math. I believe for a college or university where the major is MIS, it would be more statistics rather than calc. I think that is more useful for analyzing load against base-line performance values. IMHO.

Yup, at Cal State Bakerfield the Highest math I took was Business Calc, that was majoring in Business admin with a conc in MIS. One of my best friend's has a CompSci degree and had to do the same math Mamono did.

Computer Science you are going to be taking a grip of math classes.

I took Business Calc when I was still going to Bakersfield College; didn't need it to graduate from the CC but figured I should get`er done while I was there. I never did any homework, just studied the pre exam study sheets. Still got a B+!!! It would help to mention that I was a high school math tutor for the better part of TEN YEARS. I'm lucky that Math comes naturally to me.

Also Cal State Bakersfield runs on the Quarter System. One of the only CSUs to do so that I know of. I prefer the quarter system way over the semester system. Semesters drag on and on and on.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Without looking at my transcript, the only math classes I took for my undergraduate degree were Business Algebra, Applied Math, and Business Stats.

As far as real world application, nothing really except simple problem solving skills and stats on the business side. I'm told the Stats class will help with a couple of my MBA classes as well.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I did College Algebra and Statistics, but my degree is in Business. I am decent at it, but I am not a big fan of math that I will never use.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I lost the plot after having to prove that 1 + 1 = 2. I remember it took 5 pages of formulae to do it but thankfully I can't remember much else.

I have never had to use the equations or the formulae BUT my kids are 6, 7 & 9 and I am teaching them skills such as how to mentally picture values in your head; gestimation (2*19 is like 2*20 but then take away 2*1 ... 2*20 is easier to do mentally and gets you in the ball park), finding an unknown value by abusing the equals sign (yes I know they are too young but what the hell).

All 3 are top of their years at primary school (4-11) maths (doing really well in most other subjects too). You would be amazed at the high %age of adults that cannot picture numbers or know the simple times table in their heads and the concept of a minus number leaves the majority of society completly flumoxed.... Bloody shocking state of affairs if you ask me!
    Kam.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    the_Grinch wrote:
    ... My college has me taking Calc and I am finding it to be a complete waste for an IT degree. ...

It's not a waste. It is teaching you to think logically and accurately at the same time. I really, really hated maths. Not that I wasn't any good at it but WTF did it have to do with computers except for putting a lot of mathematicians out of a job? I guess that's what your thinking now.

Take the simple 5 = 2 + X
    Mathematically you know you need to isolate X so you subtract 2 on both sides leaving X = 5 - 2 -> X = 3. Now think about the sub processes you went through after you made the decision to isolate X....

That's the mental agility maths gives you. I agree, it may seem a bit of a waste and I can guarentee you ( I started my degree 17 years ago and asked the very same question you have ) will probably never use or even remember those formula again (except maybe the simple geometry ones as they are practically impossible to forget) but the mental agility is priceless and life long.

Is also a great way to stay awakje on long car journeys by calculating the distance remaining by your speed and trying to work out when you will arrive.... or is that just me ?
    Kam.
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Trig and I use it. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Physics I & II
    Algeabra
    Trigonometry (right angle lol)
    Analytic Geometry
    Basic Circuits and Electronics I & II

Differential Calculus
    Integral Calculus

We also had something that sounded like this

Advance Theory and Computation
    Solid Mensuration it's an engineering subject.
    Economics I
    Basic Stat with Demography

There's some more interesting math name, I'll have to check my transcript.