Options

What do you want to see in the future?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
I always like to think about what we will have in the future (not like flying cars) and I usually look at what we have achieved so far. So here is what I would like to see....

I want a single device that I can carry around that does everything that I have to carry multiple devices for now. I want an device that will act like my phone, but also use wifi if its a better signal to make calls. I want the device to not only hold all my music, but an image of my desktop. I want to be able to take said device sit down at a terminal or at my desktop and boot right to it. The device should allow me to access the files from the touch screen so I can do some editing during a commute to work. I'd like it to have a camera that takes video and stills on top of video conferencing. I want to be able to control my house from it (such as lights, temperature, watch the kids). It will need a finger print scanner on top of a password and some form of voice confirmation. I want it to be able to read the messages I get, transcribe messages so that I can drive without issue. Oh yeah and it must be open source so I can add new things to it whenever!

As of right now there are some devices that do some of those things, but I want it all in one! Useless post, but fun to think about....
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    What your asking is already quite doable.

Look at the latest MS idea yesterday (although that DataCentre is tiny to be honest, they must have a lot of those dotted around)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7693993.stm

It wouldn't be too much to have a Blackberry type device to access BB version software in one of those farms and store your data so that you can access that from anywhere you can get a phone signal. I would hate to think of how much that service would cost you per month ... You know what MS are like.

Trouble is with a single point of access to do "everything", it is also, by definition, a single point of failure leaving you right up the creek without a paddle if/when it goes wrong.

Personally, I would settle for my kids behaving and tidying their rooms at least once a week. Now that would be a real challenge.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Beat them into submission!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    It's against the law .... I checked ! So are velcro child suits and a "you'll stay stuck up there until you calm down" sticky wall icon_twisted.gif
    Kam.
  • Options
    Man England sucks! LOL (J/K don't be offend English people!) Psychological torture is the way to go...those are wounds you can't see and scars that don't heal!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff