Options

Resume

kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
resume1zw5.th.jpg

Comments

• Options
    bar182bar182 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally, I would remove the summary of qualifications and just put summary and instead of listing your quals I would put something like "A versatile IT professional with over x years of experience drawing upon a wide range of strong practical, problem-solving, and administration skills."

Definately get rid of the mcp, comptia logos....i woudl also get rid of your goals and preparing for ccent.

**** the salary requirement. I would never put such a thing in a resume ever.
    MCP | MCTS:Vista| CCA:XenApp5|
    WIP > 70-291 for MCSA
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on my resume. I put the salary requirement on because in Utah every employer I have sent a resume into wants salary requirements. Also Most companys like the Logo's on the resume because it makes it stand out from the rest they say. I do think i need to get rid of the goals though. Thanks.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Wow no offense but I don't think that's a very good resume at all... Just my opinion but it could use a rework. Advance auto classes?....
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    leefdaddy wrote:
    Wow no offense but I don't think that's a very good resume at all... Just my opinion but it could use a rework. Advance auto classes?....

yeah, i was thinkin the same thing...definitely could use some rework...i dont even know where to begin...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Since everyone wants to hate on my resume i'll just take it down. I'll start to worry once I cant get a job anymore.
    Something to realize about posting information on the internet is that you will get criticism. In the case of TechExams.net, you rarely get outright flaming and you're highly unlikely to get name-calling and petty comments, like you would get on many other forums. If you put up your resume you'll have to sift through the comments, find the constructive comments, and take what you can from it. Pulling the information down because you found people not liking what you had doesn't do you any good, and it honestly doesn't present you as having a mature and reasonable attitude to have a "take my ball and go home" approach to two negative responses.

I hope you repost your resume, roll with the comments and suggestions, update it and get it working for you. I also hope that it will serve you well to find a job you will enjoy and I wish you the best of luck with your job-search.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was going to post but honestly Slowhand said it all perfectly.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mishra wrote:
    I was going to post but honestly Slowhand said it all perfectly.

I was going to say something like that, but you said it perfectly.
    Slowhand wrote:
    I hope you repost your resume, roll with the comments and suggestions, update it and get it working for you.

Seriously, you took it down after two hours? You might want to get a few more eyes on it. Also, if the consensus is that it's not good, why would you want to keep using it? icon_scratch.gif A lot of people are terrible at putting resumes together; don't take criticism as a personal attack.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    That resume is awesome, jobs should be pouring in shortly!

[just giving you what you want to hear]
  • Options
    supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    if you can't stand the heat... icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Options
    It looks decent. Two suggestions I could make are to remove the MCP and CompTIA logos. The general concensus in the industry is that logos are fine for business cards and personal websites, but look a bit unprofessional on a resume. The second is that having a high school listed on your resume tends to skew the first impression of you to being young, which is sometimes a setback in this field.

If you're in college, I'd suggest listing it in favor of your high school. Listing college work is simply a matter of putting down your major, some of the relevant classes you've taken, and when you expect to graduate, (if you haven't already). If you don't have any college work under your belt, I'd suggest downplaying the education altogether and leaving the high school listing off, or simply mentioning it and leaving off the classes and focus you had. Unless you went to a high school that had courses relating to your work, I'd recommend leaving the specialty courses out; (I don't think the automotive classes will help you find work in IT).

Other than that, it looks good. If you're worried about formatting, pick up a copy of Resume Maker Pro. It'll give you a bunch of options in how the resume looks and can even help you create a text-only resume to post up on jobsites.

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    did you check this thread before posting?

http://techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15164

it is by far the simplest, yet detailed explanation of what helps and doesn't concerning resume formats.. i have written, rewritten and reviews loads of resumes for friends, family , etc.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    keenon wrote:

it is by far the simplest, yet detailed explanation of what helps and doesn't concerning resume formats.. i have written, rewritten and reviews loads of resumes for friends, family , etc.

I like your prior post and most of it is good advice and common sense, but..

"8. It's ok if your resume flows into 2 or 3 pages as long as its concise...."

I disagree, it should be one page unless you are a super person with super experiences (doctor/lawyer/CCIE).

You could do a 2-3 pager when you know for sure it will just be scanned and searched for keywords, but unless you have walked on water... do a one page resume because you don't have that much to say!

Seriously, when you remove ego from the situation, most of us don't have more than one page of really important relevant experiences and bullets. They can hear about the rest in the interview.

I worked with a guy that asked me to proofread his 5-page resume, he literally had Vietnam era job experiences listed!

:D
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I will be the only one on here that says Summaries/Objectives go with-in the Cover Letter.

If you don't have a cover letter yet you might as well put "I will show up late to work everyday, I hate you and I do drugs" on your resume.

Take the logos of CompTIA and Microsoft off, it is a resume not a website.

The best part of your resume is your Experience, the summary that lists what you did at that job is good.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    keenon wrote:

I disagree, it should be one page unless you are a super person with super experiences (doctor/lawyer/CCIE).

You could do a 2-3 pager when you know for sure it will just be scanned and searched for keywords, but unless you have walked on water... do a one page resume because you don't have that much to say!

Seriously, when you remove ego from the situation, most of us don't have more than one page of really important relevant experiences and bullets. They can hear about the rest in the interview.

I worked with a guy that asked me to proofread his 5-page resume, he literally had Vietnam era job experiences listed!

the reason for number 8 is that very reason.. when i say concise.. it that you should only put information regarding the IT career path .. just b/c you worked at a fast food restaurant doesn't mean it should be in an IT resume.. ( well not unless you were in a leadership position) ..

I have a 3 page resume thats all IT, thats no ego thats years of dedicated work experience.. if you have a 1 page resume and 8 years of experience it makes me think A you worked for the same company and haven't advanced/grown since day 1 and B you will settle in a heartbeat
  • Options
    Ok so I will ditch the logos then. As for the 3 page resume Well thats how long mine is because the jobs that I have worked this is only the start of it. I have my computer jobs listed all the way back to 2002. Should I ditch those as well and just keep the most recent job only and make it one page? For each job I had I list it like it is for my current job where I have a summary of what I did on the job and what experience I gained thats why I list all of them? Thanks for the input and slowhand thanks for the info on the school I always wondered about that. I put the auto shop in there to show what atleast some of my other interests are and sometimes it is a conversation peice because I'll talk to who ever is interviewing me about cars which is something we have in common sometimes. I will take it out though. As for a cover letter I have never sent one in with a resume and never had an employer mention it or even care about it. What is everyone elses experience with cover letters? Thanks guys.
  • Options
    Well I just got a call for a job that looked interesting and pays a bit better then where I am at now. I applied cause its a gov job and they always have good benefits and what not. So I have an interview this wed @ 3:30. The job is for PC Coordinator. I would be incharge of the computers for the entire city working in a team. Seems pretty cool.
  • Options
    Well I just got a call for a job that looked interesting and pays a bit better then where I am at now. I applied cause its a gov job and they always have good benefits and what not. So I have an interview this wed @ 3:30. The job is for PC Coordinator. I would be incharge of the computers for the entire city working in a team. Seems pretty cool.
    Congratulations on the call-back, and good luck with the interview. :D

• Options
    Ok so I will ditch the logos then. As for the 3 page resume Well thats how long mine is because the jobs that I have worked this is only the start of it. I have my computer jobs listed all the way back to 2002. Should I ditch those as well and just keep the most recent job only and make it one page? For each job I had I list it like it is for my current job where I have a summary of what I did on the job and what experience I gained thats why I list all of them? Thanks for the input and slowhand thanks for the info on the school I always wondered about that. I put the auto shop in there to show what atleast some of my other interests are and sometimes it is a conversation peice because I'll talk to who ever is interviewing me about cars which is something we have in common sometimes. I will take it out though. As for a cover letter I have never sent one in with a resume and never had an employer mention it or even care about it. What is everyone elses experience with cover letters? Thanks guys.

I used to use them but i have found that cover letters have a negative effect. i have jobs dating back to 2000 in IT. I know some have more experience i think some may "chern" them off after so many years.. but it explains the summary of 8 years experience..

odd question " why do you have a summary of 8 years experience but only show 6 on your resume?" logos are a 50/50 just depends on preference.. mostly they are eye catchers.. versus the pretty pink or baby blue paper. if anyone wants to debate this we should a chat meeting..lol
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    keenon wrote:
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    keenon wrote:

the reason for number 8 is that very reason.. when i say concise.. it that you should only put information regarding the IT career path .. just b/c you worked at a fast food restaurant doesn't mean it should be in an IT resume.. ( well not unless you were in a leadership position) ..

I have a 3 page resume thats all IT, thats no ego thats years of dedicated work experience.. if you have a 1 page resume and 8 years of experience it makes me think A you worked for the same company and haven't advanced/grown since day 1 and B you will settle in a heartbeat

We'll have to agree to disagree. If you have 3 pages of important relevant experience that you feel is an absolute necessity for you to land the job... then you are one of the super people with super experiences that I referred to earlier.

If you took the best parts out and put them in 1 or 2 pages, it might be like a "Greatest Hits" album as opposed to an "Extended LP" that nobody makes it to the end of. To extend this horrible analogy, only a few bands have enough good material for a multi-disk greatest hits album.

I would bet if you objectively went through it and thought "Do I need this? or Will this make the difference?".. that you could eliminate a lot. But everyone has different preferences and theories.

I thought your original resume post was very good when you first posted it, and everyone should read it! The length thing is just personal preference. :D
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jryantech wrote:
    I will be the only one on here that says Summaries/Objectives go with-in the Cover Letter.

If you don't have a cover letter yet you might as well put "I will show up late to work everyday, I hate you and I do drugs" on your resume.

If I'm the only one that says something outrageous and questionable, does that make it correct?

Your cover letter should be tailored to the company you're sending it to. Maybe you're just posting your resume on or website or sending it to a few contacts you have. A summary is a nice little addition that gives the read a quick *drum roll* summary of who you are.

And that lack of cover letter statement is just nonsense (for the same reasons listed in that other resume thread you posted that in). I'm all for a good cover letter. It's not going to do anything but help you, but you're just being sensationalistic with nothing to back that up.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

If I'm the only one that says something outrageous and questionable, does that make it correct?

Your cover letter should be tailored to the company you're sending it to. Maybe you're just posting your resume on or website or sending it to a few contacts you have. A summary is a nice little addition that gives the read a quick *drum roll* summary of who you are.

And that lack of cover letter statement is just nonsense (for the same reasons listed in that other resume thread you posted that in). I'm all for a good cover letter. It's not going to do anything but help you, but you're just being sensationalistic with nothing to back that up.

I'm just trying to add shock factor. :D

Honestly though I believe a cover letter is very important and a Summary/Objective on your resume just seems novice.

All-in-All I'm just making a recommendation.

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    jryantech wrote:
    I'm just trying to add shock factor. icon_biggrin.gif

Honestly though I believe a cover letter is very important and a Summary/Objective on your resume just seems novice.

Novice?

Aren't you only like 20 and just got your first real job?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:

Novice?

Yes that is correct.

And I to thought Summary/Objectives were cool because it added space to the resume and let me say a few things about myself. But when it came down to it, everyone I met who has been a IT professional for 5+ years does not have one (I would say close to 15 guys). I base my ideology off of peoples success. (And please dont take that as if im trying to say they got there jobs because they didn't put a summary or objective)

Like I have said in pervious threads. If you are going for your FIRST job and your resume isn't really much yet then it is not a bad idea to put on.

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    jryantech wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

Novice?

Yes that is correct.

And I to thought Summary/Objectives were cool because it added space to the resume and let me say a few things about myself. But when it came down to it, everyone I met who has been a IT professional for 5+ years does not have one (I would say close to 15 guys). I base my ideology off of peoples success. (And please dont take that as if im trying to say they got there jobs because they didn't put a summary or objective)

Like I have said in pervious threads. If you are going for your FIRST job and your resume isn't really much yet then it is not a bad idea to put on.

I've never met anyone who doesn't use a summary or objective (well besides you and the op icon_lol.gif ). I think it would be a bad idea to leave it off, but hey opinions are like a holes.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    jryantech wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

Novice?

Yes that is correct.

I've never met anyone who doesn't use a summary or objective (well besides you and the op icon_lol.gif ). I think it would be a bad idea to leave it off, but hey opinions are like a holes.

I like objectives, if constructed correctly, it quickly gives the reader 2 things:

1. An overview of your experience, hopefully baiting the reader into reading more.
    2. An idea of your motivation for the job and knowledge of the company(you did tailor it for the EXACT job you're applying for, right?).

My $.02
  • Options
    the reason i have listed in original resume thread of not using a objective

"3. DO NOT USE an OBJECTIVE on the resume at all- reason being as it creates you having to reedit the resume for any job applied for and is very limiting.. it is far better to use a SUMMARY statement to give a brief into to what you have been doing -- the resume body will complete this. "

additionally i have been told by several in the human resources field that it sets a small field of vision for your self.
  • Options
    learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    Objectives and summaries are located in the same place on a resume, but their similarities stop there.

An objective is a quick sale of yourself, an explanation of how you will benefit the company, something that ANY manager will sit up and take notice to immediately.

A summary is, in fact what it sounds like - a summary of your experience.

Personally, I always use objectives as it sets your resume apart from the 1000s others that HR looks over. You have just a few seconds to grab HR's attention, so grab it with something specific that allows them to see how you will benefit the company directly! Works for me, and I couldn't be happier with the pay bump I got as a result of using this methodology.