What is the difference between MCSE and MCSA?

thangkeristhangkeris Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I am a new member in this forum. I have little knowledge about networking but I want to do certification in network. can u guys help me in this matter? I will be very thankful to you if you help me in this matter.
Syed Mustafa
IT Trainer / IT Assistant
BMC, LRC Quetta

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should have posted in one of the general MS forums.

Basically, the MCSA requires four exams, and the MCSE requires seven. The MCSE is much more recognized and prestigious. If you plan on going through the Server 2003 track, you should definitely set your sights on the MCSE.

I'm not sure what you need to know. Post up some specific questions, and we'll help you out.

Be sure to familiarize yourself with this information as well:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcsa/windows2003/default.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    One is aimed at System administration (MCSA) and the additional exams to gain the mCSE are focused towards design / implemenation / security. You gain your mcsa whilst you go for the MCSE.

Like dynamik said the MCSE is much more recognised than the mcsa. I'll get round to finishing it someday but i doubt that day will come very soon icon_wink.gif

Once you have either mcsa or mcse there are upgrade paths to the next generation of windows. i think it takes around 3 exams to get your mcitp EA (new mcse) but i maybe wrong. but its somewhere around that figure.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    nel wrote:
    i think it takes around 3 exams to get your mcitp EA (new mcse) but i maybe wrong. but its somewhere around that figure.

That's correct. You need the Server 2008 upgrade exam, a Vista exam, and the pro-level Enterprise Administrator exam.

Now get back to wrapping up that MCSE, slacker ;)
    dynamik wrote:
    nel wrote:
    i think it takes around 3 exams to get your mcitp EA (new mcse) but i maybe wrong. but its somewhere around that figure.

That's correct. You need the Server 2008 upgrade exam, a Vista exam, and the pro-level Enterprise Administrator exam.

Now get back to wrapping up that MCSE, slacker ;)

Ha! if only i could but sadly i have my degree and my cisco certs to finish first whilst trying to keep pace with my new role! not everyone is a machine like you dynamik icon_wink.gif although if you want to pass me any of your super strengths feel free to do so :D

• pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    There are some definite differences between the MCSA and MCSE besides just taking more tests. Since I have been down both roads and am a Windows server administrator for the last 7 years let me tell you what I have learned from studying and targeting both certifications.

MCSA

This is great certification to go for if you are going to or are currently supporting Windows desktops and servers. Microsoft recommends at least 1 year of experience working with operating systems and network infrastructure. The MCSA focuses on managing, implementation and troubleshooting an existing system or network you support.

MCSE

This is a great certification to go for if you want to learn how to or currently are designing a network. The major differences here are that a MCSE has knowledge to be able to plan, design and implement Windows servers and architect solutions. This is more focused and goes beyond just working with it everyday. You should be able to use TechNet and Microsoft and read deployment guides and architect solutions using Microsoft server products. The MCSE is designed for a person who has already mastered the administration of servers and can design networks, domains and correct server architecture from concept to actual implementation.

Hope this helps.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    One thing to keep in mind the MCSE has much better branding than the MCSA did. Many tech employers don't even know what the MCSA and often demand a MCSE when a MCSA would have been fine.
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote:
    One thing to keep in mind the MCSE has much better branding than the MCSA did. Many tech employers don't even know what the MCSA and often demand a MCSE when a MCSA would have been fine.

couldnt agree more with that. infact if you search the job boards thats probably the only one you'll see from the two certs for 98% of the time!

• kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    I had this doubt too!
    Thanks for explaining.
    meh
  • phil21080phil21080 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got a question concerning MCSA/MCSE and the new 2008 equivalents...

I just passed the 70-620 Vista exam a few weeks ago, which meets the requirements for the Client O.S.

I'm currently studying for the 70-290 (and hopefully after passing, will start with the 70-291 to get the MCSA 2003).

I also have A+ and Network+, which meet the requirements for the elective exam.

So instead of taking 4 exams to get the MCSA, I only need the 70-290 and 70-291 to finish it.

Now.. in an earlier post, it was said that to get the MCITP: EA, you have to pass the professional exam, a server 2008 exam, and a VISTA exam.

now the Vista exam 70-620 counts towards getting the MCITP:EA.... my question is, since I've already passed that exam, am I exempt, and then only have to take the server 2008 and Pro exam to upgrade? i'm confused on this issue lol.
    phil21080 wrote:
    Now.. in an earlier post, it was said that to get the MCITP: EA, you have to pass the professional exam, a server 2008 exam, and a VISTA exam.

now the Vista exam 70-620 counts towards getting the MCITP:EA.... my question is, since I've already passed that exam, am I exempt, and then only have to take the server 2008 and Pro exam to upgrade? i'm confused on this issue lol.

You only need those three if you're coming from an MCSE. You'll need to do four if have an MCSA. Your 620 will fulfill that requirement though, so you will only have three more exams to do after you get your MCSA.

Check out Royal's sticky for more information.