Options

Wait to be hired

rubberToerubberToe Inactive Imported Users Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
Think about when you were hired onto your last job. How long did you wait after the last interview? Or did they tell you after the interview you had the job?

My last job: after interviewing for called me a about a week later to schedule another interview in which I was to meet the owner who offered me the position.

Typically, I believe that if the interview process is explained to the candidate they usually have a good idea how they are doing along the way and whether they will make it to the next step or whether they may be hired.

I just had my second interview for a company in which I was brought on-site and shown around. I then took a hands on test which I completed with a bit of help (took a hint). I was told that I would be contacted in a few days and it has been over a week. In my mind I believe that I didn't get the job but there is some hope to wait a bit longer and then contact the company. Basically, my thoughts are if you haven't been contacted in a reasonable amount of time then it is safe to assume you are not getting that job.

Comments

• Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    I would contact them and say that another company made you an offer and you would like to know if they are going to move forward and make you one. Makes it seem that you are wanted and that you don't want to waste your time either. But be polite...

Also I would call 1 week after. They will probably say that they are still interviewing people or deciding between candidates. If they are still interviewing people just keep sending your resume to more companies.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dude do I now what you feel; i was offerred a job and then they send it to HR for the county
    andI have been waiting 2 weeks; they some back ground check due to the fact is i see police reports; jeerpers creepers...i

it sucks; i guess I dont reallly have it yet...they are doing it all arse backwrds

usually you do hr first then interview so it just sucks; i dont care anymore; i know
    i am good for the job so i am taking the view if god wills it i will get it ;)
    I just had my second interview for a company in which I was brought on-site and shown around.
    yeah so was i shown arouind all their stuff met all kinds of people and then nothing for 2 weeks
    i called my future boss and he said it is hr doing background check man how long can that take??/ jeesee!
  • Options
    yeah that is what I do; IT is a crap shoot; you just have to keep trying and hava a never give up attitude; nooone after time who works their butt off will get the raw deal forever, you just have to keep pushing; me after a while it is like sales, you get use to the Nos an become num to them and one day it will be a big YES!!!!!!!!!! hang in there believe me you ar enot the only one who has to go thru crap and sometimes the tests they give you are stupid! keep your head up! man keep on trucking!
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    My current job took all of 3 days.

My job before this one at the Data Center for a major cable company, from the day I accepted the offer to the day I started was 2.5 months. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Took me 4 interviews over a course of about 2 months, then about another 2 - 4 weeks to get the offer...
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    The job before my last I was offered the job after the third interview. The job after that, I was offered the job after 4 days of the in-person interview. My current job took like a month, although unsure why, but it's the government.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    2 interviews over 1 month for me and I was called the very next day with the job offer. It did require some prompting on my part though as I called them for the 2nd interview.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Previous job was one interview and was hired on the spot. Started about two weeks later, but could have started the next day if I wanted to.

My current job was two interviews about three days apart (the second one only lasted about ten minutes where they just introduced me to the higher up managers). Was offered the job at the beginning of the second interview and everything took about three weeks to go through HR (drug test, back ground check, salary etc.).

In my experience the time varies depending on the size of the company and how many people have to approve your hire and salary.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    The job I accepted recently consisted of

Phone interview- Quick questions to get onto the face-to-face shortlist

Face-to-Face interview - HR chick, Engineering Manager & Senior Techincal Lead: This was the most intense interview I've been through.... Barrage of HR questions followed up by techincal questions which I passed with flying colours I might add!!! ;p

Phone call the next day to proceed with Pyscho-metric testing (4 hours of personality and IQ tests...)

Then 1 week later a call saying my application is on list of final potential candidates....

1 more week later I got the offer...

So all up about 1.5 months to get this position, now I'm booking a time slot with a psychologist who will go through the results of my psycho-metric testing :) - You can only get the results once you have found out whether your application has been successful or unsuccessful... I can't wait to see what this report says will be very interesting to see how accurate it is!!!!

There was times where I thought I was unsuccessful due to the lack of communication but I understand they were waiting for my psycho-metric test results to come back and then waiting for salary-negotiations to be signed off by upper management...

icon_wink.gif

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^^^lmao @ APA's avi...hilarious!!!
    undomiel wrote:
    2 interviews over 1 month for me and I was called the very next day with the job offer. It did require some prompting on my part though as I called them for the 2nd interview.

man, i've been tryin to reach the dude i interviewed with for this desktop support position @ CBS 2 weeks ago, and he doesnt answer/return phone calls or emails...i'm almost at the point of giving up on that job. I just had an interview yesterday @ Columbia University, so we'll see how that goes...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    dude

i have been waiting 2 weeks since my new boss said he wanted to hire me...they have been
    doing some big backgroiund check on me holy crap...so I guess I havent gotten it yet weird this county is check this out.

Most people do HR stuff first, background checks, references etc...
    but they interviewed me like me and wanted to make an offer but said the HR dept
    sets the wage???weird and it has been two weeks and I call him each week and he says
    they still dont know yet??wtf ???is going on..feel like I am having a baby here??
    has anyone gone thru this before/??weird! icon_eek.gif