Options

VISTA HAS F***IN MESSED UP MY FRIDAY NIGHT

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

After giving vista a wide birth will all its odd issues that nobody else on this forum seem to have i was faced with yet another problem, while running a well known poker app, it just froze on me and the monitors eventually went black, then after a reboot it tells me

"windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt"

also it tells me to do a "repair your computer", but the icing on the cake is that when i do this it searches for vista installs and doesnt find any

Not once did I have this issue with XP

Please dont reply to this thread if ya gonna say stuff like "unlucky man mine works fine" or "i never had that mines been fantastic", lets face facts Vista is still and will always be the most flakiest OS ever made, Ive had it for good so am gladly going back to XP

Lee H

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Lee H wrote:
    while running a well known spamxxxxx app
    Lee H wrote:
    Not once did I have this issue with XP
    No idea what you're running there but it can't be that great if the forums filters it out. Your system crashed. It corrupted something important unfortunately. This could happen on any version of Windows. I've not heard of any particular Vista only problem that causes this.

Vista isn't as bad as you keep making out. You seem to have an absolute hatred of it.

Oh and "unlucky man mine works fine" and "i never had that mines been fantastic".
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    icon_rolleyes.gif How do you know this was caused by Vista?! I'd suspect your hard drive before anything.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What was the name of the app? Seemed to be filtered.

Anyhow, go ahead and run an extended scan with IBM/Hatachi DFT and then give it 5-6 full passes (overnight) with MEm86. See if either of those fail out on you.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lee H wrote:
    Hi

Please dont reply to this thread if ya gonna say stuff like "unlucky man mine works fine" or "i never had that mines been fantastic", lets face facts Vista is still and will always be the most flakiest OS ever made, Ive had it for good so am gladly going back to XP

No Offense Lee and I understand you're frustrated but if you're going to make absolute statements about something as wide reaching as an OS expect people to respond when they believe otherwise, opinions about your own experiences are one thing but stating the entire OS is useless is just plain wrong. I'm sorry you're having problems but they are yours, your hardware/config/3rd party apps installed etc. I'm not claiming Vista is perfect, far from it, but fully patched and on hardware that meets the recommended spec.s it is no worse than XP. I'd agree that it sounds like you have hardware issue, or at least some very nasty software conflicts.
    Take a step back, calm down, I know what it's like spending way too much time troubleshooting when you should just be enjoying the machine and how it can put blinkers on you. If you want to stick with XP then fine, most of my machines are XP and will stay that way until retired, but any new ones will be Vista.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lee H wrote:
    lets face facts Vista is still and will always be the most flakiest OS ever made, Ive had it for good so am gladly going back to XP

Something tells me you've never had the pleasure of using Windows Me, or Windows 95 right after its release. Jesus, until you have used those, you are not allowed to make such bold statements.... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Something tells me you've never had the pleasure of using Windows Me, or Windows 95 right after its release. Jesus, until you have used those, you are not allowed to make such bold statements.... icon_lol.gif

Well some of us aren't ancient... icon_lol.gif

Just kidding. I had the mistfortune of working with Windows 95 in a limited capacity as it relates to IT stuff. Not too much exposure to Windows Me, although don't a lot of Point-of-sale systems still use Windows Me??
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mrock4 wrote:

Well some of us aren't ancient... icon_lol.gif

Just kidding. I had the mistfortune of working with Windows 95 in a limited capacity as it relates to IT stuff. Not too much exposure to Windows Me, although don't a lot of Point-of-sale systems still use Windows Me??

God, I sure hope not...
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Lee H wrote:
    ... lets face facts Vista is still and will always be the most flakiest OS ever made...

Not even close... they have brought out way more flakey OSs than this.
    Kam.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Kaminsky wrote:
    Lee H wrote:
    ... lets face facts Vista is still and will always be the most flakiest OS ever made...

Not even close... they have brought out way more flakey OSs than this.

Windows ME hands down. icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Windows ME = best and most impotant OS of all time icon_lol.gif

Seriously, i have only ever seen one PC running this.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Was this app you were running supported on Vista? There are some applications that do not run well/at all under Vista. With the issues you have described - the lockup followed up by a non-booting system and then a repair that was unable to find any Vista installation, it sounds much more likely that you are experiencing a hardware issue rather than a software (Vista) issue.

Now for the obligatory defend Vista section.

As others have stated, Vista is far from the worst OS Microsoft has ever released. In fact, on a fully patched computer, if people still have such severe issues with Vista - I suspect it's because of more of an unwillingness to adapt to the way things were changed, or unwillingness to tweak the system to operate with a bit less of the annoyances as some may call them. Does Vista still irk me? You bet it does, I still after having tried numerous tweaks can transfer data to an external USB device faster than I can from my one local SATA disk to another local SATA disk. My file transfers across my gigabit ethernet are also exceptionally slow. But Vista provides me with a 64-bit OS that can properly utilize my 8GB of memory with much better compatibility than XP x64 was able to do, and with minimal issues.

Is it just me, or is the hardcore "VISTA SUCKS!!!!" crowd getting nearly as bad as the hardcore "OMG ALL MICROSOFT PRODUCTS ARE AWFUL HOW CAN YOU USE THEM!?!?!?! LINUX FTW!!!" crowd?
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Is it just me, or is the hardcore "VISTA SUCKS!!!!" crowd getting nearly as bad as the hardcore "OMG ALL MICROSOFT PRODUCTS ARE AWFUL HOW CAN YOU USE THEM!?!?!?! LINUX FTW!!!" crowd?

Can't agree more.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Did you get a chance to run DFT and Mem86? Still not clear on what the app is you are trying to run. We can't really help ya out w/o it.

Also would like to know what hardware and version of vista you are running. Vista x64 is a whole other beast.

Best of luck to you.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    kerbydoggkerbydogg Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    l o l.

Actually, I'm watching the vista config cbt nugget at the moment. This course seems more like a sales pitch than a tech exam. And I'm pretty much sold already. The built in security features makes it totally worth it. I've been holding off on buying Vista till it stabilized. I think it's time to order Vista Ultimate 64.
    WIP: can't decide.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Vista is a pile of **** always has been. why do you think Microsoft are so keen to get windows 7 out? to cover up the embarrassment that XP is still a popular O/S
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    Jimmysan88Jimmysan88 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is a known problem with SP3 for Windows Vista. You can remove the SP3 by using the Recovery Console. Also Microsoft has a free program you can use from their site that blocks SP3 from trying update on that specific PC for the next year. Good luck!
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

OK then guys, you got me stunned, Vista is awesome!!!, no really sarcasm aside I still would rather run with Vista than be going back to XP as I dont want to walk away from any IT issues especially as I work in IT support, so as a point of learning what is wrong I have stayed with Vista, but......

tiersten wrote
    Oh and "unlucky man mine works fine" and "i never had that mines been fantastic".

I love you man, razor sharp sarcasm, quality icon_wink.gif

FadeToBright wrote
    Windows ME hands down".

I never did have this OS, I upgraded my first PC from windows 3.1 to 95 then to 98, I built my first PC with XP, but your probably right ME has a bad reputation

msteinhilber wrote
    Was this app you were running supported on Vista? There are some applications that do not run well/at all under Vista. With the issues you have described - the lockup followed up by a non-booting system and then a repair that was unable to find any Vista installation.

This app is called P K R and is fully supported by Vista seeing as they want the whole population to use it, would be massivley losing out on profit if it wasnt, I read the P K R forum and some people have issues and some dont, I havent.

Daniel333 wrote
    Also would like to know what hardware and version of vista you are running.

Mobo: P5NE - SLI
    CPU: Core 2 Duo 2.2 E4500
    Mem: 2 X 2gig OCZ Gold gamers edition
    Graphics: 2 X 512Mb 8600GT
    Hard Drive: 1 X 200gig SATA, 1 X 80gig IDE

Windows Vista Business, installed from an original disk with a legitimate serial code

So this app that was filtered out in my first post is P K R, dont get me wrong people just the fun side for now till I can play like Phil Hellmuth. :D

I agree this could be a hardware issue, I re-installed Vista last night and guess what, just now its gone pear shaped again, this time is different to the first one, all I done was restart the OS, there were no programs running at restart and no crashes, just a simple restart on restart it now says

"missing operating system"

Same as before, a "System Restore" does not find any Vista install to restore from, BIOS picks up my SATA drive and all looks fine in there, in System Recovery Options were you can select "Command Prompt" I can select this and navigate around the Vista directory

I may be wasting my time here guys installing Vista again or any other OS if this is hardware related so any ideas what this could be, I am not convinced either way

Lee H
  • Options
    mrhaun03mrhaun03 Member Posts: 359
    Jimmysan88 wrote:
    This is a known problem with SP3 for Windows Vista. You can remove the SP3 by using the Recovery Console. Also Microsoft has a free program you can use from their site that blocks SP3 from trying update on that specific PC for the next year. Good luck!

there's a SP3 for Vista?
    Working on Linux+
  • Options
    Lee H wrote:
    I may be wasting my time here guys installing Vista again or any other OS if this is hardware related so any ideas what this could be, I am not convinced either way

Lee H

It was already suggested to run hard drive diagnostics as well as a memtest, those would be the best places to start. If you don't find anything wrong with a hard drive diags, and make it on to memtest, don't just stop at one pass and assume all is well - I've had memory fail testing after a couple of passes.

And just FYI, nobody here was saying Vista is the worlds greatest operating system. The consensus is that Vista isn't as bad as it's made out to be, if you choose not to believe that and decide to make up your mind on if it's a good OS that's just fine, but I would hope that you rule out everything else first as I'm fairly certain that it's just not strictly Vista as the culprit - Vista or other OS installs don't just tank themselves for no good reason, you do have something else causing this.
  • Options
    Jimmysan88 wrote:

Vista only has SP1 available, XP has had some PC's with SP3 issues (some AMD machines).
  • Options
    Jimmysan88 wrote:

Vista only has SP1 available, XP has had some PC's with SP3 issues (some AMD machines).
    Mainly due to the manufacturers making mistakes and/or being lazy. Don't use an image built on an Intel machine with an AMD machine and vice versa. You end up with the wrong drivers running and that screwed up when SP3 came along and updated it.
  • Options
    vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Vista use the same kernel as NT, XP, 2000, 2000 Server and Server 2003?

Sometimes the OS is blamed when the problems are not really that high level (or low level, depending on your perspective). Problems can include program scripting nuiances that work with one Windows version, but not so great with another. That isn't an OS issue. Neither are driver issues 99% of the time. If a driver or program is poorly written, too often the OS is blamed. The vendor software is supposed to fit the OS, not the other way around. The OS is the foundation, but too many lose sight of this.

Don't even get me started with poor system maintenance and user error issues.

With that being said, Vista could be better, but what OS couldn't? In some ways I prefer Vista, and in others XP. This doesn't sound like an issue with the OS build.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • Options
    vsmith3rd wrote:
    Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't Vista use the same kernel as NT, XP, 2000, 2000 Server and Server 2003?
    They're all based on the original NT kernel if thats what you mean. The workstation and server codebases have diverge since Windows 2000 until recently when Vista SP1 gave it the same kernel as Windows 2008 Server.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't like Vista, dont like the look of it all the added eye candy and the aero interface doesn't really do it for me, maybe I am a minimalist but I prefer the classic layout of windows I don't want to end up with added bloat which isn't really contributing anything interesting or productive to the O/S.

Secondly I know the O/S is still considered new to the market but damm it's hard work working with Vista, driver issues, bugs, blue screens ive had it all

I for now use a combination of Xp, Debian and ubuntu

Give me a streamlined O/S that gets the job done take out all the bloat I hate the routine of installing numerous patches, bug fixes and kernal updates just to carry out day to day work give me a O/S that doesn't require the latest and greatest in tech to get it off the ground, give me a O/S which boots fast and the kernal can be configured and setup in a way to suit my needs.

In this situation Linux is ideal I can't manually take out the bloat from the O/S and streamline it to my needs take out all the extra crap you essentially don't need and then get it to behave the way you want.

This has to be the future of operating systems, more streamlined more faster and less hassle
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    ally_uk wrote:
    I prefer the classic layout of windows I don't want to end up with added bloat which isn't really contributing anything interesting or productive to the O/S.
    You can turn off Aero and the themes in Vista to get something very similar to Windows 2000.
    ally_uk wrote:
    New versions of Ubuntu and other workstation Linux distributions have a pretty flashy and bloated desktop IMO.
    ally_uk wrote:
    Give me a streamlined O/S that gets the job done take out all the bloat I hate the routine of installing numerous patches, bug fixes and kernal updates just to carry out day to day work give me a O/S that doesn't require the latest and greatest in tech to get it off the ground, give me a O/S which boots fast and the kernal can be configured and setup in a way to suit my needs.
    You're contradicting yourself here. You want one that doesn't require patching/tweaking yet you want one that also can be configured to do exactly what you want?

Whatever OS you run, you are going to have to do updates and patches. Nobody is perfect and there will be bugs in code. I've seen showstopper bugs in Windows and Linux that have caused BSODs and panics respectively. I've had my share of driver issues in both Windows and Linux as well.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote:
    ally_uk wrote:
    New versions of Ubuntu and other workstation Linux distributions have a pretty flashy and bloated desktop IMO.

On top of that, Ubuntu is apparently the worst game ever!
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    ally_uk wrote:

On top of that, Ubuntu is apparently the worst game ever!
    Now that is funny. How can somebody buy it and not realise that its not a game...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It might be fake. Either way, it's good for a laugh :D