Options

Employment Commitments

wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
I just got an offer for a NOC position but it comes tagged with a 2-year commitment. Not too thrilled about that. Is that sort of thing normal for entry-level positions? Have any of you guys signed long-term contracts and if so is it something you ended up regretting?

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ive never come across a comittment term of that length icon_eek.gif

However i have never worked in a noc but i doubt thats the norm.

What kind of commitment is it? surely it cant be wrote into the contract or are they not asking you to stay for that length? they may have a high turnover and are trying to keep people to stay. Believe it or not but ive came across employers like that who say will you stay at least a year kind of thing.

Find out more about that part of the contract and then weigh up the pro's and cons and decide if you want the job.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Yes, what kind of commitment is it? There's no such thing as indentured servitude in the USA, so you can't be legally bound to work for anyone--even if you give your permission.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think the commitment might mean, that you cant change positions WITHIN the company for 2 years. i've worked for companies that have had that, but no job(with the exception of the military, and even then...) can tell you that you have to stay with them for x amount of time.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    BradleyHU wrote:
    i think the commitment might mean, that you cant change positions WITHIN the company for 2 years.

That is the only type of commitment I have seen. It is a one year where I work, but that is still just a recommendation nothing set in stone.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Or they want a 'verbal' commitment, meaning you basically tell them that you are planning to stay for 2+ years.

Other than that, like JD said, they cannot force you to stay otherwise. They may prevent you from working for a competitor or something, but thats about it.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Or they want a 'verbal' commitment, meaning you basically tell them that you are planning to stay for 2+ years.

Other than that, like JD said, they cannot force you to stay otherwise. They may prevent you from working for a competitor or something, but thats about it.

but thats not a commitment...thats a non-competition clause, or whatever its called...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Hmm well, maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. The way they phrased it in the interview led me to believe that I'm stuck there for two years. I guess that's not the case...
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wat08 wrote:
    Hmm well, maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. The way they phrased it in the interview led me to believe that I'm stuck there for two years. I guess that's not the case...

Give there HR or whoever is your contact there a ring to clarify the situation.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Definately ask for clarification since it seems you don't 100% know what they mean.

Are they providing you with any training programs and certifications? There is a company near me which has programs where they train and certify their employees (CCNA, CCNP, then CCVP) and then put them in the field working with a mentor to apply the skills they have learned. This organization I have heard from a friend who is in the program requires a short commitment contract that if you do not meet means you are required to pay for the training you have received.