Options

New GNS3 0.6Beta is good

kingpinofdiskskingpinofdisks Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am soooooo friggin glad my laptop screen cracked! It was an old 1.2ghz with 1gb of RAM. Can't imagine running dynamips on it.

I just installed the GNS 0.6 Beta, and it is pretty cool. I have a generic lab for my BCSI work consisting of 6 3725 routers with loads of frame, serial, and ethernet connections. I wish I had a good 3640 IOS & a PIX IOS, but at least I have the 3725 to play with... my one 3640 IOS will not take an idlepc to save its own life...

Stupid notes not in the tutorial for GNS:

- my best results were with setting the idlepc seperately for each router

- Create a database in PuttyCM for your console sessions - a tabbed interface is a heck of a lot easier than 6 seperate Putty sessions or Wintabber (which crapped out on my new laptop)

- turn off the show interfaces before saving the lab - trust me, it is easier to work with that way

- install VMWare server and bridge some of the VMNet interfaces to a few loopback interfaces - now you can have different virtual machines talking to different routers - that makes it easy to do things like radius/tacacs, multicast traffic generation, live environment simulation (how long does DCPromo take thru my WAN?), etc...

- you can create a generic config for your labs - one text file can be used by all the routers in your generic labs - I hate the DNS lookup when I ping, and the console timeout in a router makes my CPU go up, so...

!
enable secret 5 $1$DOSh$B2ShIunwAf/d3/BZAQwNR0
no ip domain lookup
!
ip http server
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
password cisco
login
!
!
end

Anyways, no more blabbin - gotta finish this BGP lab so I can pass out for the night.

Comments