Options

Recertification

_maurice_maurice Member Posts: 142
I checked the stickys, but I want a definite answer. Sorry if this is a duplicate icon_sad.gif

When I complete my CCNP, to re certify, the Cisco website says to pass any 642 exam that is part of the professional level curriculum. Does this mean I can take any exam I have previously passed, such as 642-901 BSCI?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah im pretty sure thats the case. however i think you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can re-take the exam you've just passed although i may be wrong. Or you could just move onto another professional series track like DP, VP or SP ...or infact all three icon_lol.gif
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    _maurice wrote:
    I checked the stickys, but I want a definite answer. Sorry if this is a duplicate icon_sad.gif

When I complete my CCNP, to re certify, the Cisco website says to pass any 642 exam that is part of the professional level curriculum. Does this mean I can take any exam I have previously passed, such as 642-901 BSCI?

Thank you

_maurice,

The definite answer is as follows...
    CCNP Recertification
    CCNP certifications are valid for three years. To recertify, pass any 642 exam that is part of the professional level curriculum after 01/01/06, or pass a current CCIE or CCDE written exam.

With respect to retaking the 642-901 BSCI exam depends on if the exam hasn't retired by the time you are recertifying which is no later than 3 years after achieving the CCNP certification. According to the Certification Exam Policies...
    Retaking Exams
    • Once passed, a candidate must wait a minimum of 180 days before taking the same exam with an identical exam number.

So you'd have to wait at least about 6 months until you could retake the 642-901 BSCI exam after you passed the 642-901 BSCI exam for the purposes of recertifying your CCNP, assuming you take and pass the remaining three exams towards CCNP certification within those six months. So even though you achieve CCNP certification within the six months after you first passed the 642-901 BSCI exam, the only benefit you'd earn would be a six month extension to your existing CCNP certification expiration date. Prior to the "...pass any 642 exam that is part of the professional level curriculum..." recertification policy, it used to be that you had to take a "...642 exam..." in another Professional level certification track. So if you were a CCNP, then taking a 642 exam in the CCSP, CCVP, CCDP, or CCIP tracks would be considered "different" enough to renew your CCNP certification.

Were my answers to your question understood?

Source:
    1. CCNP Certification - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le10/learning_certification_type_home.html
    2. Ceritifcation Exam Policies - http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le11/learning_certification_exam_policies.html