Router Question

TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
I am wondering if I can connect a wireless router to my DSL modem/wireless router. Right now, I have a DSL modem/wireless router that I connect my laptops too. I don't get reception in my bedroom which is upstairs.
I used to have comcast and had a Dlink router hooked up to it. Reception was great, even in my bedroom. But the Dlink router broke.

So I am wondering if I can by another more powerful router and hook it to my current DSL router?
Taking 70-294 very soon...again

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you actually need it to perform routing? If not, just get an access point.
  • TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    I don't need it to do any routing. Do you have a recommendation on a brand of access point? Thanks for the help. :D
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's common for cable/dsl modems to include routing functionality these days. In many cases, you can either do a double-NAT situation by hooking up a regular, more powerful router to these types of devices or you can set the cable/dsl modem(router) to a pass-through mode where its own routing functions are turned off. You'll have to check the manufacturers documentation, or give the broadband company a call, in order to figure out how to do that.

Or, if I'm mistaken on the situation, dynamik's suggestion of a WAP will work just as well.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Just take a look at the reviews and find the best combination of price/features for your needs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2002810335&bop=And&Order=RATING

Any basic Linksys, D-Link, etc. will probably do everything you need.
  • TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    Thanks for everything icon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gif
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah all you need for home is a combined Wireless router. Alot of providers give the netgear ones etc away for free in the UK with certain deals. These or linksys etc. i would get a minimum of 54mbps
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    I am wondering if I can connect a wireless router to my DSL modem/wireless router. Right now, I have a DSL modem/wireless router that I connect my laptops too. I don't get reception in my bedroom which is upstairs.
    I used to have comcast and had a Dlink router hooked up to it. Reception was great, even in my bedroom. But the Dlink router broke.

So I am wondering if I can by another more powerful router and hook it to my current DSL router?

Yes, ensure DHCP is disabled on the second router. My setup is similar.

NetGear Wired VPN Router -> 24 port switch
    Wireless Linksys Router -> Port 2 on Wired VPN router

(could of got an access point, but it's harder these days to find them in store, plus AP's I saw in my area are way more expensive)

Probably another option is to use an external antenna?
    I believe a lot of routers also allow you to configure them as access points (i.e. disable routing functionality).