Seems Traditional, the Newest Win OS is Always Disliked

kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
In the 80's, Win3x came out and while it had its problems, most users and myself liked it. Then 95 came out. For a few years, I kept a 3x box because "that ole 95 is junk!". Same situation with 98. I kept a 3x and a 95 box because "that ole 98 is junk!" Well the 3x faded away as did 95, as I eventually accepted the 98. Then XP! oh gosh, everyone hold on to their 98 boxes, because "that ole XP is junk!" Now, its Vista. Vista has some problems as did the other OS's,(and all versions needed patches/updates to be reliable/useable). Vista is now going down the same "ceremonial" drive to acceptance. It will probably happen with the next Windows version also.
As a side note, I don't recall ANY new Windows OS, desktop or sever that was as functional/reliable as it needed to be, for at least a year after its initial release.

Comments

• TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    The "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads added fuel to the flames. MS never addressed them until now but the damage was already done.

I think MS is going to hurry along Windows 7 because of the damage done to Vista, just like they are doing with SP releases on Vista.

Businesses aren't accepting Vista either, which hurts them. So I think that's probably going to spur along the release of 7. Just the timing is in question... wait for the recession to pass and keep adding features or just release when ready...

Vista is a great OS, I'm using Vista 64 on my desktop and Vista 32 on my laptop, both work fine except for HL2 crashing out of exiting the game and GNS3/Dynamips not working. If you ask me though, Linux is gaining ground on MS, thats if you know how to use it comfortably.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I personally use Vista Business 64 Bit on a 8GB Machine. I have never had a issue in my life and use it on a domain level setup.

Vista is as good as xp and will continue to get better as times goes on. The problem with society is that the believe a product should never crash or never have issue and thats just not the case. There are way to many vendors out there to test all the possible devices with it on the market today. This is why we had the driver issue when it was first released and it was slightly flaky like xp was when it was first released.

Server 2008 is a great os as and is just as solid as 2003 and is gaining ground on the market already today.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress