Options

..Cisco Jobs...hard Decisions

jbriggyjbriggy Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I really hate to get excited when headhunters call me, because (for me anyway) it almost never pans out the way I want it to. Granted its a slim chance, but if both of these positions open thier doors to me, it'll be a challenge to choose which one i'll take..

Position 1: A 2 year contract position at a Telecommunications company. I'd be a Network Engineer, responsible for the day to day maintenance and configuration of Cisco Routers and switches. I would get a ton of hands on experience with routing protocols, like BGP, OSPF, IS-IS, and that would definately help me progress my Cisco career through CCNP and hopefully through CCIE. But the tests, training, etc would still be on me. The payrate would be about $35 an hour, or $72,800 a year.

Position 2: A 6 month contract at Cisco Systems. I'd be a Desktop Engineer helping out with a special project they have going on. I can do desktop support in my sleep, so I wouldnt necessarily be learning anything new technically, but I would be learning the business. I would also be face-to-face in front of the Cisco big wigs. I'd be showcasing my skills to those people who have the power to pull the strings and bring me on permanently. Though its not guaranteed, it is possible. There would be NO switching or routing in my job description, but they may allow me to use their resources, labs, books, etc. The payrate would be about $30 an hour, or $62,400 a year.

And of course, there's a possibility that none of these will go through. (Which is why I hate getting excited) It would be disappointing for both of these to fall through.. but say I had a choice.. say you were me.. which would you pick and why?

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Cisco job for long-term possibilities.
  • Options
    malcyboodmalcybood Member Posts: 900 ■■■□□□□□□□
    depends what's more important to you, job security or taking a job at cisco in the hope they might take you on.

If it was me I wouldn't want to go backwards even if it was at Cisco. There may be no long term prospects and it may just be a 6 month desktop rollout or something. Dunno it's a tricky one without knowing the details.

Do you have a permanent role now and what do you do as your job?
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would take Position 1, it is more stable and you can grow from there, in the Position 2 I do not bealive that you will get a good chance to work for Cisco, it is just another rollout.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Position 1: A 2 year contract

not hard at all do the Position1 sound wayyyyy more promsing

1. more money
    2. more training
    3. working with all that stuff will change you

you will get a different perspective....I woudl rather be a CCNP/CCIE than work with MS
    MS changes faster and I think Cisco is more consistant in their methods ;)
    and the exams are more real world ish!

my 2cents
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Position #1, because you need the experience. If you get the experience it will help you get a job at Cisco later
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Number 1 all the way. If you step back to desktop just to work for Cisco, that's a bad move. That desktop position is going to land on your resume, and if your current position is BEYOND desktop, future employers are going to notice you moved back - not good.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Take the first one, hands-down. If you really want to work for Cisco, you'll want to have stuff like that on your resume once you're in the CCNP/CCIE stage. The second position would be a great opportunity if the first one wasn't there.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Job 1 is better experience for a longer time. Take the extra money and buy your own study materials and home lab.

Job 2 is a hope someone notices you.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Job 1 hands down...
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yep, i agree take no. 1.

That hands on experiance will be invaluable, plus its permanent and its better money.

Dont let it cloud your judgement just because the rollout contract is with cisco, stri[ each job down to the facts and its obvious which is better.

Besides you dont have to work for cisco to get where you want.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    position 1 for the experience, there are plenty of roles that come up at cisco..... get the 2 years under your belt (learn something of a niche market if possible) and then go back to cisco for a perm role later icon_smile.gif

easy innit...... icon_lol.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    amp2030amp2030 Member Posts: 253
    One more vote for door number 1.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    You take number 1 and I'll take number 2. ok? lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Job 1 all the way :)

The aim is to improve yourself... not to take a step back in hope that one day Cisco may open the door to the networking department for you...

take the first job... get the experience.... get the qualifications... prove yourself in the industry.... then maybe the big companies will come knocking on your door instead of you knocking on their's :)

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Since it's election day..another vote for option #1. The experience you'll gain there would be invaluable instead of doing a bunch of stuff you already know.
  • Options
    MonkeyBoltMonkeyBolt Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Vote for No.1 More money = More fun icon_cool.gif
    Aston Villa FC
    Pride Of The Midlands

"Because you can read this thank a teacher, because it's in English thank a soldier"
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikej wrote:
    Job 2 is a hope someone notices you.

i love little sayings and this says it all. I agree with mike- hope someone notices you job2
    job1 is getting your hands dirty but coming out clean and experienced based big time
    nothing beats studying for ccnp/ccie/ccvp and doing the hands on as you go wow!
    yeah

again job 1 all the way!

hard work and bustingyour butt will pay off in the end haah get end! butt hahaha !
    but true! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    number 2!

Ok ok, i'd do 1 also, just thought i'd try to be different
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    job 1
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    m.j.boylinm.j.boylin Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    job 1 sound the dogs b*****s i would go for job 1 tbh
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Door1 = Door1 + 1;
  • Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222