Would like some help setting up Raid in XP Pro[CLOSED]

deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
I have 4 Western digital 120GB drives installed onto my Dell 8250 and would like to setup Raid. I heard that it is possible to setup Raid 1 on it. Is it possible to set that up? please help, I appreciate it.
XP Pro SP3
DELL 8250
2.4 GHZ
512MB RAM

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you going to implement the RAID with software or hardware?

You have to do a little hack to get RAID-1 with software.

Are you thinking about putting all four drives in the array? That seems to be slightly overkill. Why don't you go with RAID-10?
  • deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    Well I don't have alot of resources but what would you recomend. this computer is going to be a media server/software storing and other resources. i'm not sure if i want to put all drives in the array yet.

edit: I also am installing a pci-IDE expansion card and I am in the process of locating the drivers for it......harder than finding carmen san diego.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hardware is going to have better performance. I assume you're connecting directly to your motherboard, not a RAID card. Does your motherboard support it? What model do you have?
  • deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    I talked to one of the guys at work who has more experience at raid than me. he told me XP pro's RAID isn't worth it.

I think i'll just stick with how i have it setup currently.

Thank you guys for the input on this guys but i'll have to wait till i have money to really setup raid the efficient way.