Options

Confused about the MTU?

nixdaemon000nixdaemon000 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Guys,
I am really confused about the MTU thing. Is it the maximum data that can be sent through a link including Ethernet frame header + data payload (including IP headers) or MTU is just a maximum data size excluding Ethernet frame header (only the data payload in the frame without the ethernet header)?

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The MTU includes the header and payload. Since both take up bandwidth, they're both included as a whole part of any datagram. The header and payload aren't considered seperate entities until a router or switch begins disassembling a packet or frame to read it, and presumably forward it.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I personally would not be too concerned about this for the Network+ exam its not going to touch this at all.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Slowhand wrote:
    The MTU includes the header and payload. Since both take up bandwidth, they're both included as a whole part of any datagram. The header and payload aren't considered seperate entities until a router or switch begins disassembling a packet or frame to read it, and presumably forward it.

To extend on what slowhand said here's a question i had from my grad school course on it that may explain it well
    Question wrote:
    Consider sending a 3000-byte diagram into a link that has an MTU of 500 bytes. Suppose the original datagram is stamped with the identification number 422. How many fragments are generated? What are their characteristics?

The answer I had was:

Since the MTU is set at 500 bytes and the datagram is 3000 bytes we will need to break it down into 480 bytes for each fragment leaving 20 bytes for the IP header. So there will end up being 7 fragments where all but the last will be 500 bytes in size. They will all have an id number of 422 and the first six will be set with the flag equal to 1 and the last equal to 0.

hope this helps...but like it was said I don't remember being tested much on MTU on N+
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'm going to agree, and say that you won't have to worry about things like the breakdown of TCP/IP headers or the MTU on Network+, that's more of a CCNA (and beyond) topic. However, I think it's great that you're asking these types of questions. Learning things beyond the scope of the exam is never going to hurt you, (unless you trade that for studying the exam topics,) and I think that you'll be a better network admin for it. Don't be afraid to read up on things that your study guides just touch on, it's all good stuff. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.