Options

BSCI - Reading and more Reading

mattsthe2mattsthe2 Member Posts: 304
I have a problem, i will read a chapter, for example OSPF, I'll answer some practice test questions and then i will move onto another topic for example EIGRP and after some while i forget some of the OSPF stuff. Do you guys any good recommendations for remembering all the specifics, the finer more specific details of this stuff.

Also a side question, i know is listed on the 901 syllabus but is ISIS really tested heavily??

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Know your IS-IS. I saw a lot more then I expected.

I'm the same way with reading. I'll read fast, but go back, and realize I haven't taken it in at all. What works for me, is stopping while reading to actually lab stuff, and test certain things in the text. It really drills it into my head, so I have a hard time forgetting it. Give it a shot if you can. You don't have to stop every page, but maybe every 10 pages, and test everything you just covered.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The best way to learn about these protocols is to sit down and practice with them. Hands-on is going to be your best bet in retaining the information. Other than that, you can also do some additional reading on each subject as you cover it, if you're not feeling like you've covered it enough. I, for example, am reading Routing TCP/IP Volume I and Volume II before I even look at the study guide for this exam. I may even look at some topic-specific stuff, like the Cisco OSPF Command and Configuration Handbook and Developing IP Multicast Networks.

I hope this helps. All of them might be overkill for some, but doing some extra reading never hurt. icon_wink.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    kingpinofdiskskingpinofdisks Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I 'get it' much better after running thru the labs.

I have made up some of my own labs. I also have been using the Cisco Lab Guide - http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587132133 for the BSCI exam. I have done about 40 labs total for this test.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I find i retain knowledge through my hands. Keep practising and reading and it will start to sink in.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    +1 for hands on experience to help you absorb the information and actually see first hand how the protocols\configurations work and what not to do in a production environment... :)

:D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Repeated hands on labs are best way to learn the material. And there is sooooo much material.
    Just a heads up though, you cannot rely on the quality of the type of questions in the Cisco Press books to prepare you for the type/quality of questions you will see on the exam. There is no comparision.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    REPETITION.

I dont know if it is because the BSCI self study guide is better written than the Lammle or Odom's books, buit I find these studies much easier than the CCNA's. Even when im going through material that is sinking in fast and well, after a few weeks of not practicing it you lose a lot of details. In my case, important details (examwise) like: is the ip ospf network point-to-multipoint command a router config command or an interface config command?

The solution to this is reread the whole thing and practice them again. For me only a second read is necessary but some people require more. Repetition is the key.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    mattsthe2mattsthe2 Member Posts: 304
    great advice guys.

I think what im going to do also is having some written notes.

I came across this link today of someone who had done just that for the BSCI.

Check it out and let me know what you think!!!

http://www.magooswisewords.com/MagoosBook/ccnp/ccnpindex.htm
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    mattsthe2 wrote:
    great advice guys.

I think what im going to do also is having some written notes.

I came across this link today of someone who had done just that for the BSCI.

Check it out and let me know what you think!!!

http://www.magooswisewords.com/MagoosBook/ccnp/ccnpindex.htm

WOW. I like those! Great find!!

Thanks.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Repetitions, repetitions, repetitions... Oh did AlexMr already say it? I guess I'm just repeating icon_wink.gif

That's what I do. And after a few more repetitions, I still find things that I missed before and hadn't ingrained in my head. But I think the most effective is repetition spread out over time. If you read the same chapter 10 times in a span of two days, I don't think it will be as effective.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    make up your own labs on paper of network notepad and design it yourself
    if you mindless do labs made for you it is easy to forget you have to be the author yourself
    and encorproate it and refresh.do not spend hours on stuff take breaks..i have learned i learn better in 30 minute intervals and then 12 min break 30 min then 12 min break...
    sound nuzt but it works but make your own labs change it up alittle bit but make your own labs
    with your own ip addresses...you have to get into it! just reading and doing made up labs
    are not enough; make your own from those labs.

:D
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Would learning with braille count as hands-on and reading?

Kidding.